M4 Exhaust (Titanium with Carbon Fiber Tips) on '07 FZ6

SHinNH

Reaction score
Visit site
i keep listening for leaks but cant really hear any. oh where the ypipe clamps to the stock pipe i noticed moisture dripping out so i figured i wont tighten them further so the moisture wont collect inside the pipe.

Well thats nothing new.. if I remember correctly, I have that same thing with my stock exhaust....

So one little spring on each pipe actually holds it nice and snug.. hard to believe.. but hey, if it was a problem, Im sure they would have heard about it by now and changed it..

Thanks
Scott

jniedermeyer

6 Time SuperBowl Champs
Reaction score
Visit site
Well thats nothing new.. if I remember correctly, I have that same thing with my stock exhaust....

So one little spring on each pipe actually holds it nice and snug.. hard to believe.. but hey, if it was a problem, Im sure they would have heard about it by now and changed it..

Thanks
Scott

well i used the straps which are plenty snug so even if i lose a spring it will hold fine

jniedermeyer

6 Time SuperBowl Champs
Reaction score
Visit site
By the way, you can see in that picture how horrible the T is. The scorpions or two brothers have an actual Y by having the longer end go to the further side and shorter T end the shorter end...meaning more even distribution of exhaust (left/right).

you could always hit a muffler shop or if you or a friend has a tig you can make your own. that way you could even angle the pipes more like the stock heat shield and make them shorter for a flush fit

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
haha. first time i fired it up with the new pipes i almost did. now the fizzer sounds like it should but the borough of brentwood whose border is about 100 yards from my house has a few cops who like to pull people over out of boredom. i got pulled last year for tinted windows and had to peel it of the front windows but since then i see about 1 out of every 10 cars with tint and that really chaps my ass. but the ticket was for $110 so i just peeled it instead of fighting it. can i say pricks on here. well i guess i just did. looks like ill be granny shifting through there. if you wanna know what they are like google johnny gammage. he was ex-steeler ray seals cousin who was speeding through brentwood and got pulled over down the street from my house where a couple of brentwood cops strangled him to death. seals left the steelers because of that. Johnny Gammage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia correction: he wasnt speeding, he was actually going the speed limit or slower according to testimony.

Thanks for that insightful story. For a second you had me thinkining you lived close to Brentwood, CA - a predominantly white and wealthy neighborhood on the west-side. Anyway the wise advice I heard and now religiously follow is to shift up to the highest possible gear without stalling the bike when rolling by the pigs.
noticed some cracking and fraying on the carbon tips. im pissed but now it solidifies my reasoning for getting titanium. calling pipecity and m4 monday.
The pipes come with a one-year warranty, you should have no problems exchanging them. Should you wait till your year is almost up though? :thumbup: I got titanium because in terms or durability; titanium dominates.

I bought them from the look for sure and I am fairly happy with the sound of the lasers :) It sounds like "a pack of mosquitos on steroids" a friend of mine said lol and it fits my bike and myself :rockon:

I was hesitating between the 2 bros, because I simply think they are the best sounding pipes for the fz, but these M4 seem to be good as well. They do stick out too much for my personal taste (I would certainly grind a few inches off the middle pipe), but otherwise awesome!
Have you actually measured the length of the M4 exhausts pipe sticking past the seat in comparison to lets say the tea-pouring spout shaped Scorpions? Just curious because the scorpions also stick out (although curving downwards). I was afraid that the sticking out factor was a concern, but after the installation they do not look like they stick out at all. In fact someone told me they look like they were yamaha factory designed/installed.

mine dont stick out as far as op. i guess you didnt want to cover up the m4 logo? how much tension is on the springs?
What do ya mean jellybean? Mine are attached as per instructions. I did not have much choice there besides hacking the pipes shorter.

By the way, you can see in that picture how horrible the T is. The scorpions or two brothers have an actual Y by having the longer end go to the further side and shorter T end the shorter end...meaning more even distribution of exhaust (left/right).

The M4 midpipe looks like its not ideally designed. However I was pleasantly surprised to find that when I placed my hand by the tips the exhaust was pretty even on both sides.

For under $600 I am very happy with my titanium pipes with CF tips. After the installation I feel like my mechanical skills went up a level. :D
To me spending anything close to 1K (1/6 of the bike price in my case) for cans is a bit outrageous. Lasers are impressive; although I am not a big fan of the Lasers sound, I need something deeper, and growlier that befits a street fighter properly. The bottom line is that pretty much all aftermarket slip-on pipes have similar performance gains when measured on the dyno. The only differences that remain are sound, price, and aesthetics. When I look all the above qualities the $549.00 for brand new titanium pipes with carbon fiber tips was a steal. N'est ce pas?

Last edited:

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
i played around with putting my hand over the tip and the pressure is close to equal but noticeable. i wonder if anyone will reverse the pipes so the logo is on the inside?:confused:

i will if possible. I hate advertising and flashing brands. i'm not a communist but i'm not a billboard either.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
maybe scorpions or whatever sound good on most others, but for our bikes, i've only heard the M4's that I think sound pretty good.

No complaints about the sound of Scorpions on an FZ6 here....:D
The M4's have a very similar sound to Scorpions, but the cone ends of the M4's protrude a bit far out for my taste. Scorpions have a better look than most of the "tailpipe" mufflers available for the FZ6, due to the larger diameter of the Scorp tail pipe ends.

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No complaints about the sound of Scorpions on an FZ6 here....:D
The M4's have a very similar sound to Scorpions, but the cone ends of the M4's protrude a bit far out for my taste. Scorpions have a better look than most of the "tailpipe" mufflers available for the FZ6, due to the larger diameter of the Scorp tail pipe ends.

I like the Scorpions. Just curious would you be so kind and measure the length of the tail pipe ends sticking further over the break light?

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Have you actually measured the length of the M4 exhausts pipe sticking past the seat in comparison to lets say the tea-pouring spout shaped Scorpions? Just curious because the scorpions also stick out (although curving downwards). I was afraid that the sticking out factor was a concern, but after the installation they do not look like they stick out at all. In fact someone told me they look like they were yamaha factory designed/installed.

I have not measured anything, but just look at the pics of your FZ6s and you`ll see the pipes stick out behind the seat (look from the top or side) by like 4 inches. I am not sure how you can say "they don`t stick out at all", but who cares, if you like them that`s all that matters! And for those who prefer the "flush" look, grinding the middle pipe would take about 3.5 minutes....

About the scorpions, they stick out as well, and their look is definitely not for me either.

Bottom line? who cares really :D get the pipe you like and enjoy them... they are all better than the stock ones! I am emotionally attached to my lasers because they went through 2 crashes with me... with the pazzos and myself, they are the only things which survived :thumbup:

Last edited:

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's some pics of my carbon fiber Scorpions.
WARNING: Gazing at the combination of my lightning fast red one with the beautiful carbon fiber Scorpions will cause you to drool on your monitor. :D

ScorpTaillight1.jpg

ScorpTaillight2.jpg

ScorpTaillight3.jpg

MyFazer.jpg

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
< drooling.... >, Those scorps do look great. How come the left exhaust looks slightly tinted than the not so tinted right one?

Yes, I noticed that myself a while back....it looks "worse" in the photos than in reality. I can only guess that there's something going on with the Y-pipe configuration that blows more of the exhaust through one muffler than the other. Obviously it can't be running richer on one side than the other, but I would guess that most of the popping and backfiring is taking place in the left muffler. A ride at night would confirm that. :thumbup:
Time to break out the Solvol Autosol, I guess. :D
My gas mileage has steadily improved with each tankful since installing the Scorp's:-
1st tankful: 32.5 mpg (UK gals)
2nd tankful: 35.7 mpg
3rd tankful: 42.1 mpg
I also notice that I'm getting slightly better gas mileage with regular gas rather than with mid-range. (87 instead of 89).
I'm also starting to use the other 4 gears in my transmission as the novelty of the Scorp's "song" wears off a bit. :D