Just got my M4 exhaust today! Any installation tips?

cmor15

Reaction score
Visit site
Just picked up these M4 Carbon-Fiber exhaust slip-ons today! :rockon: They were used the guy I got em from had them for a week then crashed his FZ6. Got them for $300.00! (new $650.00) Theres some slight cosmetic damage on the outer plastic of one of the pipes (u can see by her thumb in pic below), but he said it isn't visible when mounted.

P3020238.JPG

(My girlfriend loves them!!)

Also got this Rizoma fender eliminator for $50.00. I didn't particularly want an FE kit, but the guy made me an irresistible offer, he said he bought it new for $300 or something.

P3020231.JPG

Anyways, I'm pretty psyched about them.. now time to put em on. It didn't come with any installation instructions so I was just going to wing it. Does anybody have any tips or instructions for me on installing these babies? Or is it pretty straightforward?

Thanks!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I liked the sound of those on the 09 R1 when I heard them. They are killer looking!

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have those. I'll throw the installation instructions into my briefcase and scan them at work tomorrow, PM me with your email address and I'll send them to you.
I do remember there was one part of the installation, towards the end, where you absolutely need three hands, and I only had two, took me two hours. Looks like you've got a couple extra hands so should be no problem for you.

I love my M4's! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

malicious439

The Technician
Reaction score
Visit site
Damn were are people finding these deals!?! Gratz dude! I've been looking for an incredible deal like this for a while. Post up videos when ya got them installed:thumbup:

cmor15

Reaction score
Visit site
Craigslist! For the longest time I really wanted an exhaust but just settled with the fact that a new one was out of my price range, and a used one in my price range would probably never come about. Just kept searching "fz6" on local craigslist like once a month in hopes that i'd find something. Just keep searching!

He had them listed a lot higher than I got them for, at least $200 more for the deal, but I'm a master of haggling :) and so got the price brought down.

malicious439

The Technician
Reaction score
Visit site
Craigslist! For the longest time I really wanted an exhaust but just settled with the fact that a new one was out of my price range, and a used one in my price range would probably never come about. Just kept searching "fz6" on local craigslist like once a month in hopes that i'd find something. Just keep searching!

He had them listed a lot higher than I got them for, at least $200 more for the deal, but I'm a master of haggling :) and so got the price brought down.

Yea, I've been doing a lot of craigslist searching, in Socal the FZ6 isnt so popular everyone around here has sportbikes or crusiers. I even found a website that can search all listings areas within a predetermined range but still no luck! I guess I will remain vigilant..

cmor15

Reaction score
Visit site
Almost done installing! Fired them up, sounds great!!!! (I will get a video soon) Only thing left to be done is some wiring extensions for the fender eliminator tag lights.

P3040241.JPG

P3040249.JPG

It took about 1.5 hr for me and a buddy to get this far. Had a bunch of trouble getting the rear piece to fit back on correctly, but finally managed.

Because of the fender eliminator I used, the bolts on the underside of the side panel aren't being used so I'm trying to figure out what needs to be done here... I re-installed the side panels but it makes it somewhat flimsy because there is not piece holding them together.

For those with an FE kit, does anything end up going in these spots or do they just remain empty? Needless to say, the piece that originally went there doesnt work now.
P3040253-1.JPG

Last edited:

malicious439

The Technician
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks fantastic, great deal! I actually found this deal on CL the same day with tempest search but I found this post and it sank my heart haha. GJ with the install, I got frustrated and went ahead with new Remus CF setup.

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Aren't those spots where that godawful ugly exhaust grill connected on?

Also in the first picture, I see the exhaust has the two strips of metal with rubber on them around and bolted, did you get the peice that connects those two bolts onto the black frame? I have the M4's (not quite the same as yours) and it might just be that you haven't put it on yet in that picture, but there is a silver peice of metal that connects the exhaust to the frame from memory.

I love my M4's, very well made, and they sound great.
Definately an amazing bargain you got here!

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
i see the cans are connected with springs and not clamps. Any exhausts leaks? I know there are other exhaust manufacturers that use springs too, why did they go this way?

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i see the cans are connected with springs and not clamps. Any exhausts leaks? I know there are other exhaust manufacturers that use springs too, why did they go this way?
I'm guessing it's to allow expansion/contraction of the exhaust pipe, since the CF mufflers themselves are solidly attached to the frames. I've not noticed any leaks with mine.

cmor15

Reaction score
Visit site
Aren't those spots where that godawful ugly exhaust grill connected on?

Also in the first picture, I see the exhaust has the two strips of metal with rubber on them around and bolted, did you get the peice that connects those two bolts onto the black frame? I have the M4's (not quite the same as yours) and it might just be that you haven't put it on yet in that picture, but there is a silver peice of metal that connects the exhaust to the frame from memory.

I love my M4's, very well made, and they sound great.
Definately an amazing bargain you got here!

Yea like you said I hadn't gotten that far when the photo was taken. But yea I got those brackets attached to the frame, its super-sturdy.