Looking at FZ6 - Seeking Comfort Advice

Koissu

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

Just joined - been looking at FZ6s and am going to look at a potential buy later this week. I can sit on it all day and think it's comfortable and I was curious to see what some experienced riders say. I don't want to be bent over causing my lower back to ache. When I sat on it, it did not seem like that but riding it is going to be different. Hopefully I can get someone to actually let me test ride it but that isn't common. I've seen that you can get handlebar risers and peg lowerers if I really had to. Just looking for some opinions!

I've been riding about a month on an 82 Yamaha XJ750 Maxim and like the upright position but the bike needs a lot of work I can't do and don't want to put into it. I don't want a full cruiser with your feet out in front of you so I was looking for a sport touring that compromised. I just completed the MSF safety course and am looking for a different bike. I love the style of the FZ and the durability of the Yamaha. I am looking at this particular bike if anyone has more advice: what to look for condition wise, etc.

2004 Yamaha FZ6

I believe FZ went to fuel injection in 06. I wasn't sure if that is worth spending a bit more for a newer bike with some more miles. So many questions :)

Thanks in advance!

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
The Fz6 does have fuel injection starting in 2004 (source: I own that bike :thumbup: ).

That being said, I think the bike is very comfortable. My back doesn't ever hurt from riding and I have the stock bars (so you can use risers to sit ever more upright if necessary). The only issue I have is with the seat. It can be a bit uncomfortable to some (myself included), but others have said they don't mind the stock seat at all. The good news is that you can do a few things to make the seat more comfortable (buy a new seat, get the Yamaha comfort gel seat, shave your stock seat, send the seat out to be reupholstered).

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2009 S2, Which comes with a little better seat, though not a whole lot different that the 2004. I ride about 10,000mi/year. and do a 1 week 4,000 trip each year on it. I find the stock seat to be just fine, though other people claim that its horrible! I guess it all just depends on the shape of your rear!
I did switch to an FZ1 handlebar (no rise, with less of a sweep back), but then ended up adding about 3/4" riser to them. In hind site I should have just picked up an fz6r bar: same rise as stock but less sweep back. For whatever reason the fz6 bar has a pretty sharp sweep back, which my wrists didnt like much at all.

From my understanding some of the 2004's had a recall on the throttle position sensor. And I think that yamaha will still replace the tps for free if it hasnt been done already. Really its not something that would deter me from buying an '04.

Lastly (personal preferance only) the stock exhaust had to go... they sound like a singer sewing maching. Stock, these things are quiet beyond the definition of quiet... its even, dare i say, Gross?

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I like the sitting position of the FZ6. I'm 5'11' and sit just a tiny bit leaning forward versus what you'd expect on a dirt bike, not at all like a modern supersport where you carry some weight on your wrists.

I tried the FZ6R bars to see if it would reduce the finger numbness that I get while on highways rides. They have less sweep (straighter wrist position) and cause you to lean forward a little bit, but it didn't seem to make any improvements for the fingers. The ThrottleMeister helps with that.

Many people will say that they dislike the seat and many prefer the Corbin, which has a harder surface but offers a slightly wider area so the cheeks sit better. I got a Corbin (pricey) so I could add a backrest, so the wife would ride with me - and sometimes she does. But when riding solo, even for 250+ miles I prefer the stock seat. Also, the Corbin seems to sit better with my rear a bit farther back than with the stock, so you're leaning a tiny bit more. (I went back to the stock FZ6 bars to reduce that.)

That 2004 looks mint! The price seems a bit high. $3000 would still be kinda on the high side. This time of year the seller should be willing to negotiate since pretty soon NOBODY in your area is going to be looking at bikes and he or she will be storing it for another winter.

If you get the '04 check with the dealer to be certain the TPS recall has been done. Also, be wary that all FZ6's have an abrupt power-on transition! I think the 04 & 05's were just a bit more than the later years when they changed some of the set up to reduce it.

Good luck!
Chris

Last edited:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 is a great all around bike, super reliable and easy to maintain.

Expect to get 40-50 mpg fuel economy depending on how you ride.

The clutch engagement point is narrow and the bike takes practice to be smooth at low speeds and in parking lots as a result of the clutch and jerky fuel injection. Other than that I have put 20,000 trouble free miles on my 2006 and have no regrets.

The 2004 definitely needs a TPS recall done if it hasn't been. Other than that I'd offer the seller $2,800 and not pay over $3K. That's a 10 year old bike that cost around $6,000 new.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Rider Fitt:
FWIW: 5'10", 32" inseam and found comfort with FZ1 bars. My only gripe with the seat is the slope tends to drive your hardware into the tank. :(

Seat:
Please take note about WHY many ditch the seat;
- some to lower the bike so they fit.
- some for comfort.
- for many its to subdue vibration. Although dropping coin on the seat will mask the issue there is a fix for the vibration. It doesn't cost anything but a few moments of your time and getting acquainted with some tools. Post up if your @ss goes numb or look in the tech section Sticky --> Cure for Vibrations...

Suspension:
Depending on your needs and experience I had to fix the front suspension. Its just to soft and doesn't match the rear. Many find it to be acceptable while others improve it. If you're needs include canyon carving you might want to throw some money at it.

That's it, its great little bike!! Four seasons of fun behind us and there will be more in the future! :thumbup::thumbup:

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
You cant beat the FZ. 43,000 smiles and more every day. I commute on her, ride to Florida, the Dragon, anywhere, anytime.

And you cannot beat the insurance, $95 a YEAR for me.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Is that full coverage?

Depending on age it could very well be! I pay $144/year for full coverage on my FZ6 with Progressive. I have a perfect driving record, live in the country with a 6 mile commute with discounts for being married, owning a home, insuring my cars with same company, etc, etc.

2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site
My one way commute distance is 35 miles and through traffic of Los Angeles 105 West -20 miles (that's right the freeway lead to LAX airport) and 405 North Hollywood -11 miles + 2 miles busy Overland/West Pico Blvd busy local street traffic - and yes, the seating position is much more comfortable (perhaps when I added the handlebar riser 1' up and backward 1'.. no cable mod needs!)

Get it while you can,,what I like FZ6 is the gas tank, 5.3 gallons , I fill it up every two days once it's down to 2 bar (avg 45mpg, about $24/280 miles/week)

Good luck and have a safe riding my fellow riders!

2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site
Depending on age it could very well be! I pay $144/year for full coverage on my FZ6 with Progressive. I have a perfect driving record, live in the country with a 6 mile commute with discounts for being married, owning a home, insuring my cars with same company, etc, etc.

That's pretty cheap you got full coverage. I got my full coverage, bodily injury 100k/300K, property damage $50K, comprehensive and collision $1000 deductible..etc all that is for $379/year. (being married, owning home but my other insurance with mercury and mercury doesn't have motorcycle insurance,,that could be why mine is much expensive than yours :( )

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
like the above poster i ride in greater L.A. and this is my daily bike. local freeways and streets and even some backroads east of here. when i have a 50 mile day i do not notice. streets or highway. i could ride 50 more and not think about it. i have put 200 miles on, straight. i took something to someone, and turned around and rode home, essentially. i was never uncomfortable on the bike, and had no complaints when i got off the bike. in fact i felt good. sometimes after a good ride i look at my bike with a sense of amazement, or wonderment. as if to think "what in the world did i just do on that." it was one of those times. so that is how comfortable the bike is for me

i am 6'3 with 32in inseam, 220 pounds. everything is stock on the bike expect foam grips. those do help with comfort, and i think about bar risers sometimes because of the swept back bars. but if it were bad i'd have added the risers already. truth is most of the time it never comes to mind to

Last edited:

FUHL

Reaction score
Visit site
It must be all in the location. I got my 06 last month for $3,100 and it only had 3,995 miles on it. Another ad for a 06 with 13,000 miles is asking $2,500. So I would think that an 04 would be in the $2,000 to $2,500 range.

Just don't want you to over pay. But if that is what they sell for in your area, it is a nice looking bike.

Last edited:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
That's pretty cheap you got full coverage. I got my full coverage, bodily injury 100k/300K, property damage $50K, comprehensive and collision $1000 deductible..etc all that is for $379/year. (being married, owning home but my other insurance with mercury and mercury doesn't have motorcycle insurance,,that could be why mine is much expensive than yours :( )

You live in Southern CA...that's why your insurance is so high! Lots of congestion and the highest number of uninsured driver's in the country. I live and work in a small town, population - 17,000. Much different rates than people who live and commute around or in a major city. LA county has a higher population than my entire state which has 39,600 sq miles of land area!

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I rode from Georgia to Texas on my 2007 fz6, and my neck back and ass were killing me. I love my bike but it is just not as comfortable as a more distance oriented bike will be.

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
It must be all in the location. I got my 06 last month for $3,100 and it only had 3,995 miles on it. Another ad for a 06 with 13,000 miles is asking $2,500. So I would think that an 04 would be in the $2,000 to $2,500 range.

Just don't want you to over pay. But if that is what they sell for in your area, it is a nice looking bike.
I paid $3300 for my '04 this past summer. Had 12.5k miles on the clock and is super clean. I'm in Chicago land though, so the prices on everything suck.

Koissu

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the response - I wasn't setup for getting emails so I just figured no one was responding. Nice to see such enthusiasm!

I am 5' 10'', 165 with about a 32" inseam so it seems like a good fit. Glad to hear the seat is more of the issue.

I've seen 07s in the area with 12k to 16k selling for $3600-$4200 depending on accessories.

2007 Yamaha FZ6
2007 Red Yamaha FZ6

I'll email and ask about the sensor recall before I go up and check it out. I got a Progressive quote (who I currently have) and it was $95 for basic and $225 for full. Not sure if that includes the 10% off from the class I took.

If I do like it, I definitely plan on offering under or exactly $3k. I am thinking I will put of registering it and doing the insurance until the spring - or insure it enough to get to my brother's garage for the winter then put it on hold... or layer up and do some cold weather riding ; )

Last edited:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the response - I wasn't setup for getting emails so I just figured no one was responding. Nice to see such enthusiasm!

I am 5' 10'', 165 with about a 32" inseam so it seems like a good fit. Glad to hear the seat is more of the issue.

I'm 6'5" with a 37" inseam, put 27,000 on my '07 but my legs/knees protested after 90 minutes, never had a problem with wrists/back/neck, love the upright riding position. With your inseam you should be able to ride her all day. :thumbup:

Koissu

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks! I only asked on the blue '04 that I have been in contact with. He said 'I remember getting a recall fixed' so I'll have to dig a bit deeper on that one..