Looking at FZ6 - Seeking Comfort Advice

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks! I only asked on the blue '04 that I have been in contact with. He said 'I remember getting a recall fixed' so I'll have to dig a bit deeper on that one..
If you do get an older model and you're wondering, you can just check the codes easily. There of a thread on this forum which covers exactly how to check it.

Koissu

Reaction score
Visit site
Is it worth going for an 07 if I can get one for under $4k? The changes don't seem that major but I am not all that mechanically oriented so 'optimized fuel injection (FI) system mapping' doesn't mean all that much to me hah. Just reading through past posts on here, the 07s in my area do seem priced pretty high for having 12k+ mileage.

I saw these but the price seemed a little sketchy on the 2012 - unless he is really just trying to move it:

2012 Yamaha FZ6R Black

2009 Yamaha FZ6R

Both seem like more bang for the buck. If I am willing to drive a bit, it looks like the deals are out there.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Is it worth going for an 07 if I can get one for under $4k? The changes don't seem that major but I am not all that mechanically oriented so 'optimized fuel injection (FI) system mapping' doesn't mean all that much to me hah. Just reading through past posts on here, the 07s in my area do seem priced pretty high for having 12k+ mileage.

The 07 and up have better brakes up front (4 pistons per disc vs 2 pistons per disc for the earlier models) as well as an updated dash. There's NO helmet lock on the 04-06's stock, but that can be added later.

I wouldn't sell mine for less than 4K (with all the farkles). Depending on the condition of the bike, the maintainance records, etc, I would spring for an S2 (07-09) model.

And as noted previously, bar risers (of varying heights) can be added to customize the riding position for YOU..

I'm shorter than you, do NOT do the lean forward thing(too old). One inch risers weren't enough for me. I went the farthest I could, 1' up, 1 & 3/8" back. All the cables wires will fit, (brake line needs slight re-clocking at the MC) but it all fits. For me, very, very comfy, more of the old school sitting position that I think your more used to.

Double click to enlarge;

Last edited:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site

I saw these but the price seemed a little sketchy on the 2012 - unless he is really just trying to move it:

2012 Yamaha FZ6R Black

2009 Yamaha FZ6R

Both seem like more bang for the buck. If I am willing to drive a bit, it looks like the deals are out there.

What you need to understand is that the Yamaha FZ6 is not the same bike as the FZ6R. The FZ6 was made from 2004-2009 only and has a 98 hp engine. The FZ6R was a lower cost bike that only makes about 76 hp and is a bit more sporty looking, not as comfortable.

Last edited:

Koissu

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a jeweler on the side so making the pin is a piece of cake. The real problem at the moment is my bank only offering a 24 month loan for a 2004. Might have to jump up to a 2007-2009 to get a longer term.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Is it worth going for an 07 if I can get one for under $4k?

Wish you were closer, I'm putting my '07 up for sale and was going to ask $3K this fall, $3,500 next spring (lotsa miles but lotsa extras too, immaculate condition). :(

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a jeweler on the side so making the pin is a piece of cake. The real problem at the moment is my bank only offering a 24 month loan for a 2004. Might have to jump up to a 2007-2009 to get a longer term.
Are you buying the bike to commute? I understand not everyone can afford to buy a bike outright, but you save money in the long run. I would be wary of taking a loan for an older bike. A newer bike just makes more sense to me if you're going to get a loan for it. Just my personal opinion though.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I understand not everyone can afford to buy a bike outright, but you save money in the long run.
I originally got my Fizzer to save money, in fact it was soon after the first time it cost me over $50 to fill my Saab's gas tank! :eek:
I love my gas expenditures now, but the urge to add trinkets to the bike, and the tire cost, and mostly the call to "take the long way home" (in my case often involving parts of Wyoming and Montana) have resulted in, well, not much cost savings, at all. :rolleyes:

Who cares! Life is Good! :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Koissu

Reaction score
Visit site
I plan on commuting in the summer - about 12 miles each way on nice country back roads. I can put some $$ down but I just can't buy it out right. I also would prefer not to take on $100 a month loan - we have a Prius with a loan and a 1997 Tercel with 150k that is running like a champ but I am nervous about..

I am going to look at the 2004 Blue with 7k and see what I think. I've also been talking with a woman about a 2007 red with 16k. I guess it is up to me if I want an older bike with less miles or a newer with more, assuming they are both in good shape.

I can probably get either bike for $2800-$3000 - which do you think I should go for ?

2004 Yamaha FZ6
2007 Yamaha FZ6

The seller of the 2007 said she is the 2nd owner and all maintenance has been up kept by her boyfriend who is a motorcycle tech - That probably means there is no paperwork but it could also mean it's in great shape. Won't know until I see it.

Opinions?

Additional images of the 2007:

imgur: the simple image sharer

BDl7iVT

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Both look super clean, the 04 maybe slightly more.

The 07 has a couple of mods (rear directionals, changed out rear fender). I would look at HIS work/mods, specifically, wires soldiered, or just wrapped and taped, etc..

I wouldn't be concerned about the miles, more so how its been maintained, garaged, etc.

I don't think (from what's shown) I'd have a problem with either...

IMO, I would take them both for a test ride after a good going over (look if the chain is nice and clean or neglected, a good clue).

Koissu

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't see the difference in the rear fender when looking at stock photos. And she just said I probably can't take it for a ride unless her other half agrees and I come with $3000 cash.

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't see the difference in the rear fender when looking at stock photos. And she just said I probably can't take it for a ride unless her other half agrees and I come with $3000 cash.
Cash in hand is a common policy for test rides. I would come prepared. Most people don't like taking the time to show their vehicle if the buyer is just "shopping around". I would bring the largest amount of money you're willing to spend, and if you like the bike, throw out an offer lower than that. If they won't meet you below your max price, you don't buy it.

MasterOfPupets

Reaction score
Visit site
One thing to keep in mind when asking about prices is that not everyone lives i nthe same region as you, and regions can vary wildly in the price of bikes. Hell, I live in Ohio and it's the end of the season here (just starting winter, still occasionally warm enough to ride) and you'd still pay over 3k for either of those bikes. And they'd sell, easy. I paid 3k for an 06 2 monthes ago, and it had 12k miles on it. If it were me looking at those 2, I'd take the 04 with 7k miles in a heartbeat.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
16,000 miles is not really high miles for these bikes if it's been taken care of. Often people who commute on their bikes tend to baby them more than the weekend warrior bike where their riders tend to ride them like they stole them! Just an observation. A bike that sits for months at a time is not a good thing. Ethanol fuel plays havoc on the fuel tank and entire fuel system when not used and and engine gets more friction wear on startup after sitting for a long time than a bike that gets started up several times a week.

Personally for the same price I'd be looking at that 2007 if it were me but if they are close look at both of them and see how the owner is. I'm more likely to buy from an owner who knows about the bike and has owned it since new.

Koissu

Reaction score
Visit site
I realize there is a lot of variation region to region. Both are the second owners and claim they have been maintained. It'll come down to me looking at them this weekend. I'll keep you updated!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

The 07 has the tag way UP high and the directionals are considerably smaller than stock.

Here's a pic (kinda old) of the rear of my 07, with the stock rear fender, directionals, etc(same as what's on the 04. The 07 your looking it, no fender sticking down, much smaller directionals. ..

You can see between the two different bikes, the 04 with the stock rear, the 07 with the shorter.

Double click to enlarge

Last edited: