Looking at FZ6 - Seeking Comfort Advice

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would go for the '07, I like the dash layout MUCH better on the newer bike.
And I have 27,000 on my '07, and its only been in the shop for tires and coolant (change my own oil). I have no doubt that bike could go 100K easily.

Koissu

Reaction score
Visit site
I am looking at them both on Sunday so we shall see. She doesn't have the stock fender or turn signals - she got it that way from the previous owner.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I am looking at them both on Sunday so we shall see. She doesn't have the stock fender or turn signals - she got it that way from the previous owner.

Alot of bike owners remove the stock rear fender and directionals for a cleaner look.

I left mine on as I'd rather have a little bit better water protection (from the rear wheel kicking it up in the rain), and I want the bike to look like a stock, sleeper..

Its just owners preference. A used set up (if wanted) can be found for cheap (if you wanted it stock). I'd probably leave it as long as it had a tag light above the plate.

Koissu

Reaction score
Visit site
Looked at both today and am buying the 2004. I got a weird vibe from the woman selling the 2007 and it wasn't as clean as the 2004. I am no mechanical wiz but I did my best to go through the used buying guide here (Used Motorcycle Evaluation Guide) and the 2004 really checked out.

The guy was fine with me test riding it as well which was great. It was actually the father of the kid who owned the bike so he was just acting as the middle man for his son who lives in Boston now. Looked through the service work and looks like most of the recommended maintenance has been done and everything else was super clean. We settled at $3k which was the highest I wanted to pay - originally had it at $3400. Can't wait to get it.

Now to see if I can hold off modding for a bit.. :rolleyes:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Congratulations!!

Be forewarned, once you hit, 8k RPM's or so, hang on!! Its a diferent machine!!

Get some after market mufflers when you can afford it and you'll really enjoy the sound of the engine

Koissu

Reaction score
Visit site
I looked at mufflers but man are they expensive! I was planning on doing the BD43 mod and the Motodynamic tail light. Any other recommendations? I'll post it in the new section once it is actually in my hands.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I looked at mufflers but man are they expensive! I was planning on doing the BD43 mod and the Motodynamic tail light. Any other recommendations? I'll post it in the new section once it is actually in my hands.

Not sure how the Motodynamic light works, but having a second running / brake light (as the FZ only has ONE) is a good idea. I have a "Hyperlite", (16 LEDs) combo- running, flashing brake tail light. Should the OEM bulb burn out, you have another light and the Hyperlite is EXTREMLY BRIGHT.

If you want a Yamaha helmet lock (the S1's don't have keyed lock), you can add one on to the right side and use a Yamaha lock and re-key it to fit your ignition key.

Cheap plug now, clamps arond the left side frame rail and uses a Yamaha lock assembly. PM me if interested, colors are black or frame matching silver.

Last edited:

Koissu

Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure how the Motodynamic light works, but having a second running / brake light (as the FZ only has ONE) is a good idea. I have a "Hyperlite", (16 LEDs) combo- running, flashing brake tail light. Should the OEM bulb burn out, you have another light and the Hyperlite is EXTREMLY BRIGHT.

Do you have the modulating or the standard ones? They look like a great add on. The Motodynamic actually replaces the OEM taillight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NziKGAakWlU

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you have the modulating or the standard ones? They look like a great add on. The Motodynamic actually replaces the OEM taillight:

I have a single, combo, running light and when braking-it flashes steady.

The S16 kit is what have; Hyperlites Flashing led motorcycle brake lights, runing lights, and turn signals, Standard Dual Function

BTW, after about 8 years, the modulator starting acting up, working occassionally. I called the company, no questions asked, no receipts, nothing, the sent me the replacment part FREE. Excellent customer service

Mines attached jst above the tag on a bracket I made(that fits inbetween the tag and the bike).

I actually have a spare one (from when I had several bikes) attached to my Four Runner..

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The Motodynamic actually replaces the OEM taillight:

Thats very slick.

Found it on Amazon, a couple of slight issues with it (under reviews);

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/2003-2009-Yamaha-Integrated-Sequential-Lights/dp/B004TCZYHO/?tag=viglink21046-20"]Amazon.com: 2003-2009 Yamaha FZ6 Integrated Sequential LED Tail Lights Smoke Lens: Automotive[/ame]

You might consider both, should one fail, you have the other as a back up..

Last edited:

bluremi

Reaction score
Visit site
If you hunch your shoulders, put weight on your arms, let your head dip, and rest your weight on your heels, this bike will give you chronic neck, shoulder, back, and ass pain.

If you grip with your knees and hold on to the bars with a feather light touch, keeping your head straight and aligned with a neutral spine, you will be able to go for 8 hour rides without any problems.

It takes practice but this bike can be a good touring machine.

Koissu

Reaction score
Visit site
I plan on doing an oil change before winterizing it. I've looked at the oil change poll and that only confused me more on what type of oil I should use. If I was going to go 'basic', would I use Yamalube 10w30 or 10w40?

I was looking at bd43's oil change How To and he said he ended up switching from the 30 to the 40. For Massachusetts 3 season riding, what would be ideal?

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
I plan on doing an oil change before winterizing it. I've looked at the oil change poll and that only confused me more on what type of oil I should use. If I was going to go 'basic', would I use Yamalube 10w30 or 10w40?

I was looking at bd43's oil change How To and he said he ended up switching from the 30 to the 40. For Massachusetts 3 season riding, what would be ideal?

I don't ride in cold weather, and summers get surprisingly hot in Chicago land, so I ordered up Motul 7100 20w50 for my next change. It's pretty pricey, but many people have said they felt increased smoothness with shifting, and that they didn't feel any clutch slipping. I went 20w50 because I wanted the maximum protection in the heat. I also grabbed a Purolator PureOne filter to boot. :thumbup:

Koissu

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't ride in cold weather, and summers get surprisingly hot in Chicago land, so I ordered up Motul 7100 20w50 for my next change. It's pretty pricey, but many people have said they felt increased smoothness with shifting, and that they didn't feel any clutch slipping. I went 20w50 because I wanted the maximum protection in the heat. I also grabbed a Purolator PureOne filter to boot. :thumbup:

So if I switched to synthetic, is there anything additional I have to do besides changing the filter (and oil..) ?

OneCheekRider

One Cheek On The Seat!
Reaction score
Visit site
you can use 10w-30 or 10w-40. I personally use Amsoil 10w-40 year round. Switching to synthetic is as simple as draining (replacing filter) and refilling. Might take an additonal oil change or two to get all the dino oil out of there.

on a side note, I should really go on the forum more often...I have two FZ6's for sale (07 & 08) and I'm up the street from you! Congrats on the purchase, though. You'll love it!

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
Is that full coverage?

This space intentionally left blank.

nope, minimum. It isnt practical for me to keep full coverage on anything I own. As a mechanic it is cheaper for me to fix anything, should it happen,then to pay the obnoxious insurance prices.