Lone vs. World....Take 1

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Great pics and narration!!! Reminds me of my trip out west to Yellowstone. Jaw dropping views, great twisties, great stuff. If you ever get a chance take a drive to Yellowstone and around Cody, Wyoming. If my memory serves me right, Cody is a small town at the base of a mountain (i'm sure i've got pics somewhere) and anywhere in the town if you look north you see the mountain rise up from the tops of houses. Yellowstone itself has some great roads and some of the most breath-taking scenery i've ever come across. The trip between Cody and Yellowstone is basically up a mountain with lots of twisty bits, then down the other side with lots of twisty bits... The only thing with Yellowstone is, mind the bison!!!! They WILL cross the road in front of you whether they know your coming or not.... and they do it slowly, i'm sure i've got pics of a bison about 2 ft away from my car window....anyhow thanks again for the pics and commentary and BTW you've got some balls for taking your fz on some of those roads in your pics, they look only dirtbike /dual sport worthy!! Great Trip!!!:thumbup:

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh also another thing with Yellowstone, I witnessed two guys hurrying down a hiking trail way ahead of us....followed about 300 yds aways by a full size grizzly bear! when your out hiking and your top speed is maybe 10 and your miles away from a car or civilization and you see a 800 lb bear waddling down the mountain in your general direction, you clinch pretty bad and wish you'd brought an extra pair of underwear... actually saw 3 bears that trip, another one we saw on a trail, and up comes a bear from a hidden cliff, (smaller but much closer) about 40 yds away....I didn't pack nearly enough underwear for that trip!! it's a wonderful place to visit, but mind the wildlife. AGAIN GREAT TRIP!!!!:rockon:

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I think I'm gonna have to join you for your next trip, that was some awesome pics and great stories as well. I'm glad you made it out alive, scary stuff.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well if this was Take 1, I can't wait to see Take 2! When is it coming?

If I can pay off my credit card by late July, then I will do the full circuit again. If I can get a full month off work and have the budget for it, I’ll go further. Otherwise I will do a shortened version of it. I won’t really know until early July and I know what my situation is.

I am doing some practice/training runs into the mountains here starting this weekend. I need to get more comfortable living off only what I have with me. Also, I need to learn to change the tube in a tire. And a lot of other stuff too.

But yeah, worst case scenario is big crazy trip next year and more moderate trip this July. Money is very tight this year. Had a lot of expenses and all of it is adding up quite high.

Great pics and narration!!! Reminds me of my trip out west to Yellowstone. Jaw dropping views, great twisties, great stuff. If you ever get a chance take a drive to Yellowstone and around Cody, Wyoming. If my memory serves me right, Cody is a small town at the base of a mountain (i'm sure i've got pics somewhere) and anywhere in the town if you look north you see the mountain rise up from the tops of houses. Yellowstone itself has some great roads and some of the most breath-taking scenery i've ever come across. The trip between Cody and Yellowstone is basically up a mountain with lots of twisty bits, then down the other side with lots of twisty bits... The only thing with Yellowstone is, mind the bison!!!! They WILL cross the road in front of you whether they know your coming or not.... and they do it slowly, i'm sure i've got pics of a bison about 2 ft away from my car window....anyhow thanks again for the pics and commentary and BTW you've got some balls for taking your fz on some of those roads in your pics, they look only dirtbike /dual sport worthy!! Great Trip!!!:thumbup

Oh also another thing with Yellowstone, I witnessed two guys hurrying down a hiking trail way ahead of us....followed about 300 yds aways by a full size grizzly bear! when your out hiking and your top speed is maybe 10 and your miles away from a car or civilization and you see a 800 lb bear waddling down the mountain in your general direction, you clinch pretty bad and wish you'd brought an extra pair of underwear... actually saw 3 bears that trip, another one we saw on a trail, and up comes a bear from a hidden cliff, (smaller but much closer) about 40 yds away....I didn't pack nearly enough underwear for that trip!! it's a wonderful place to visit, but mind the wildlife. AGAIN GREAT TRIP!!!!:rockon:

That sounds truly brilliant. Yellowstone is definitely high on my list of places to go.

And bears scare the piss out of me. Haha. I need to buy a shotgun. I’ll be getting my licensing sorted out soon hopefully.

I think I'm gonna have to join you for your next trip, that was some awesome pics and great stories as well. I'm glad you made it out alive, scary stuff.

Haha thanks man. Much appreciated.

Last edited:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Lone, great read, great pics, hope you are on the mend and DOOMD as well.

armstrong89z

Reaction score
Visit site
Just read this whole thread start to finish. Took awhile but was worth it. That trip was epic!!! Some of those roads you went on were pretty sketchy for me but it makes the trip all the better. That was one awesome trip I would say.

kudos to you!!!

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Also, I need to learn to change the tube in a tire. And a lot of other stuff too.
If you're talking about your FZ6... it uses tubeless tires... Putting a tube in a tubeless tire is not recommended... Do you mean you need to learn how to change your own tires or just plug them in case of a flat?

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you're talking about your FZ6... it uses tubeless tires... Putting a tube in a tubeless tire is not recommended... Do you mean you need to learn how to change your own tires or just plug them in case of a flat?

The GS has tubed tires.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just read this whole thread start to finish. Took awhile but was worth it. That trip was epic!!! Some of those roads you went on were pretty sketchy for me but it makes the trip all the better. That was one awesome trip I would say.

kudos to you!!!

Thanks man! I really appreciate it. Took ages to write and put together.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You bought a GS!!! That's awesome :thumbup: Changing the tubes isn't that bad but it takes a little getting used to. Don't try to short cut it.

Yeah, got the single cylinder 650. It's pretty awesome. Can't wait to get a chance to go exploring. Got a SPOT and high-end-ish GPS with topography maps. As for changing the tires/tubes I'm waiting on wearing down these tires a bit before a couple local dual sporters enlighten me during a wrench-night.