Lone vs. World....Take 1

Reaction score
Visit site
HUGE thanks for sharing your journey. Sad to hear of the bike & injuries.
Hats off to you sir! I've traveled a bit too in my younger days, but never
had a trip of that magnatude

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
HUGE thanks for sharing your journey. Sad to hear of the bike & injuries.
Hats off to you sir! I've traveled a bit too in my younger days, but never
had a trip of that magnatude

Then best get a move on in this, the eleventh hour!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Twice! Really? You know your helmet is only good for one impact! Well that explains the R1.

I think every Oregon member needs to take a trip to that Chateau and just beat around the bush and see if the topic of conversaton becomes like "There was this one fellow from Canada" LOL...

I don't know how in the hell that bike made it home, it wasn't even street legal.

Just remember, if anything like this happens to anyone, I think we can call upon our local forum members to come and assist.

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
Lest we forget.....

Dear Lone. Doomed from the word go.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb1mtGYHmMM]YouTube - Motorcycle wheelie gone wrong :)[/ame]

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Lone,
All I can say is thanks for taking the time to share this incredible adventure!
Wow!!!! :eek:

Caladin

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your report. Great pictures!

lonesoldier84 said:
I decide I’m not going to stick around. And thanks to the internet I remember adult grizzly bears can run up to 60kph in the wild. So I conciously decide to roll on the throttle and pick it up to 65kph…..just to be safe

That seriously had me laughing. I share a fear of bears. I considered packing a shotgun with me on my trip up north. I settled for bear bangers, bear spray and a bear vault. I figure a shotgun isn't a lot of good if a bear gets on you while sleeping in your tent. And that's when I feel most at risk.

You perseverance to carry on and ride home after so many falls was really something. I always worry about crashing the bike and not being able to ride it back home.

If you plan to do more adventures alone I would really invest in SPOT or PLB.

Cant wait to read any future ride reports you have. :rockon:

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Lol, thanks all!

And yeah, I know what you mean Caladin. I am in the process of getting my firearms license so I can at least bring along a rifle next time. I am pretty sure shotguns are restricted and the registration process for that is probably more annoying and expensive.

Also, that sinking feeling when I had to consider NOT riding back was really ****ty. I decided to suck it up and make the best of the situation. In the end I had some pretty decent saddle time on the way back too.

SPOT is a must have!! Agreed.

This summer I should have a couple decent ones, but due to budget constraints Mexico will be waiting till next year. I can't get that much time off work yet.

and LOL @ Dirk haha.

And Kenny, it was technically three times that trip.... haha

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome stuff Lone.....when i finally get to Canada &The States, i am going to make sure we catch up for a ride....

As for the accidents....$hit happens when you challenge yourself....

And i now know why you bought my FZ6N headlight!

Thanks for sharing...immensely entertaining!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome stuff Lone.....when i finally get to Canada &The States, i am going to make sure we catch up for a ride....

As for the accidents....$hit happens when you challenge yourself....

And i now know why you bought my FZ6N headlight!

Thanks for sharing...immensely entertaining!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

And I really appreciate your selling it to me. With getting my riding situation and living expenses sorted out it has been very tight. Thanks again!

That light is going to allow me to get into southern BC for some good ole fashioned sport riding. The FZ will be on dual-duty as track and short-range touring.

And when you finally get out here we will have an epic ride. Let me know WELL in advance so we can plan accordingly.

Caladin

Reaction score
Visit site
And yeah, I know what you mean Caladin. I am in the process of getting my firearms license so I can at least bring along a rifle next time. I am pretty sure shotguns are restricted and the registration process for that is probably more annoying and expensive.

You can actually carry a shotgun. It is a non-restricted firearm. I'm not sure about crossing into the US with it though.

Just gotta have one that comes apart to fit securely on the bike. I found I could fit one (broken down) into my top case. Canadian law requires it to have a barrel length of 457 mm (18.0 in) or their overall length not to be less than 660 mm (26 in).

But really the best bear protection is a little knowledge on smart camping and how to respond to a bear should you encounter one up close and personal.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, man.. you are magnificently retarded and retardedly magnificent!!
Epic journey worthy of a movie! This was like The Motorcycle Diaries, but better!!!.. cause it had bears in it!!!

You are my hero!!
:rockon: :bow: :rockon: :bow: :rockon: :bow: :rockon: :bow:

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You can actually carry a shotgun. It is a non-restricted firearm. I'm not sure about crossing into the US with it though.

Just gotta have one that comes apart to fit securely on the bike. I found I could fit one (broken down) into my top case. Canadian law requires it to have a barrel length of 457 mm (18.0 in) or their overall length not to be less than 660 mm (26 in).

But really the best bear protection is a little knowledge on smart camping and how to respond to a bear should you encounter one up close and personal.

Thanks man. I think I would prefer a shotgun. And I agree about the knowledge. But knowledge won't blow the head off a charging bear. Are you willing to risk everything in the assumption the giant bear charging you is doing a "mock charge" like they do at times?

Wow, man.. you are magnificently retarded and retardedly magnificent!!
Epic journey worthy of a movie! This was like The Motorcycle Diaries, but better!!!.. cause it had bears in it!!!

You are my hero!!
:rockon: :bow: :rockon: :bow: :rockon: :bow: :rockon: :bow:

Thanks man! I really appreciate that.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Before

IMG_0805.jpg

And After!

IMG_1326.jpg

Rep points coming!

Oh by the way, Thank You For Visiting the USA!

Last edited:

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
You and Caladin are now officially my role models for what can be done long-distance touring on the FZ6. Awesome, Lone! :thumbup: poor fizzer though....:( Making her pretty and shiny again?

krid80

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
You and Caladin are now officially my role models for what can be done long-distance touring on the FZ6. Awesome, Lone! :thumbup: poor fizzer though....:( Making her pretty and shiny again?

Aww comeon. Both me and Vegasrider were involved in this big trip and did more miles with no incidents. Guess we aren't "doomd" like Lone. :p the FZ6 is a great all around bike but a dirt bike it is not. That is the lesson to be learned here.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site

:D Awesome! Thanks man, that means a lot. The FZ is currently stripped of all plastic and will have its electrics shoved under the tank. It has new bars/brakelines/etc and rearsets on the way. Three trackdays this month, then another five over the next two months. If she survives all this, she will be rewarded to a trip through southern BC with naked kit installed (which is currently sitting waiting to be installed).

In the meantime, I've been throwing the 650GS around and having a blast. First big trip on the GS is coming up this weekend, and I will be sure to post up some stuff on it. It will only be a two day trip, but I plan on going THROUGH a mountain this time haha. Then later in the summer....revenge tour GS! LOL The GS will definitely be in its element.

Aww comeon. Both me and Vegasrider were involved in this big trip and did more miles with no incidents. Guess we aren't "doomd" like Lone. :p the FZ6 is a great all around bike but a dirt bike it is not. That is the lesson to be learned here.

The only lesson to be learned is that you need to be more adventurous! The FZ will take the eager rider ANYWHERE he is eager enough to go.

The FZ was remarkable in everything I asked her to do. As long as I didn't throw her around in the "slightly" rougher stuff, the "street" aspect of her engineering didn't really get in the way too much. If you take your time, you won't notice the 1 or 2 inch shorter suspension travel and you won't need a skid plate. With the right handlebars and possibly bar risers, the riding position and gentle engine in the lower revs will inspire confidence.

She is a motorcycle. Motorcycles are meant to be ridden. If their masters point them towards some path that takes them offroad.....they must willingly oblige....

Would I do another trip on the FZ if I knew I was going offroading??

Hell yeah!!

If I could only have ONE bike.....this one does a little bit of everything and does it well enough that you just have to smile.

Sure you have to SLIGHTLY mod it if you want to improve it in some category, but this is to be expected of any bike.

And you CAN get slightly knobby tires......there ARE supermoto tires that WILL fit the FZ.

All power to the rider!

krid80

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
:D Awesome! Thanks man, that means a lot. The FZ is currently stripped of all plastic and will have its electrics shoved under the tank. It has new bars/brakelines/etc and rearsets on the way. Three trackdays this month, then another five over the next two months. If she survives all this, she will be rewarded to a trip through southern BC with naked kit installed (which is currently sitting waiting to be installed).

In the meantime, I've been throwing the 650GS around and having a blast. First big trip on the GS is coming up this weekend, and I will be sure to post up some stuff on it. It will only be a two day trip, but I plan on going THROUGH a mountain this time haha. Then later in the summer....revenge tour GS! LOL The GS will definitely be in its element.

The only lesson to be learned is that you need to be more adventurous! The FZ will take the eager rider ANYWHERE he is eager enough to go.

The FZ was remarkable in everything I asked her to do. As long as I didn't throw her around in the "slightly" rougher stuff, the "street" aspect of her engineering didn't really get in the way too much. If you take your time, you won't notice the 1 or 2 inch shorter suspension travel and you won't need a skid plate. With the right handlebars and possibly bar risers, the riding position and gentle engine in the lower revs will inspire confidence.

She is a motorcycle. Motorcycles are meant to be ridden. If their masters point them towards some path that takes them offroad.....they must willingly oblige....

Would I do another trip on the FZ if I knew I was going offroading??

Hell yeah!!

If I could only have ONE bike.....this one does a little bit of everything and does it well enough that you just have to smile.

Sure you have to SLIGHTLY mod it if you want to improve it in some category, but this is to be expected of any bike.

And you CAN get slightly knobby tires......there ARE supermoto tires that WILL fit the FZ.

All power to the rider!
For this kind of riding, the GS makes sense. Heck I am down for gravel roads but I am not down to recreate this :
IMG_1326.jpg

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For this kind of riding, the GS makes sense. Heck I am down for gravel roads but I am not down to recreate this

If I had not been going so fast I would have been fine. I was in a rush to get back before dark. I will freely admit I was anxious and a bit nervous. It was getting creepy up there and I didn't want to be picking my way through there in the black night going 5-10kph barely able to see the "road".....

I was doing 55-60kph on a stretch of road/trail I should have been doing 30-35kph. Hell, even on a GS 55-60kph would have been a terrible idea on that stretch. The road was rutted to all hell and it was all loose and unpacked. I thought I was an MX champion.....right up until the moment I wasn't....LOL

The lesson was indeed learned well by me. But the error cannot be given to the motorcycle....it must go to the rider.