Lifting the gas tank

Dresnewtoy

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the '08 model. When i was doing the headlight mod and needed to lift the tank a couple times. I found that i had to pull on the fairings to get lift the gas tank up, past it (the tank is a little wider than the space between the fairings).

I looked like removing the fairing was a lot of work, but yanking on them on a regular bases might strain or eventually break the fairing.

How do you guys go about lifting the tank??

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Go naked!!!

But seriously you can remove the rear pivot bolt and slide the tank back before lifting it

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
I've only lifted it once on my 08. All you have to remove is the inner fairing pieces. The rear-most 5" of black plastic comes of easily with two bolts on each side (plus a little coaxing). Goes right up after that.

I may try to slide the tank back, however, next time.

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
I also use the bungee cord to tie the tank back.

Both removing the inner fairings and removing the gas tank bolt are good ways to open her up. Have a towel handy to stop scratching bits.

rider93

Reaction score
Visit site
One piece of advice about lifting the gas tank...
It is possible to lift the gas tank past the fairings by slightly bending them to get the tank past them. You can then prop the tank up with a piece of lumber or many people use bungee cord. I have done this many times with no problems.

BUT!

If you have a California model, then you have a charcoal canister to catch gas vapors. If you lift the tank in this fashion and you have a full tank of gas then it will seep into the charcoal canister and gas will actually start leaking from the canister. (I just did this today:eek:) I don't know if I ruined the canister but the bike ran very poorly at first and got better as I road for a few miles. I also used an air mattress pump to force air through the canister to evaporate the gas. Hopefully I did no permanent damage but thought I should warn others.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have handle bar set backs so I have to remove the hinge bolt as the tank won't clear the bars. I re-install the the rear bolt and the prop a stick to hold up the tank.

If you have accesss to a Home Depo, their paint mixing stick is the PERFECT LENGTH stick and is very sturdy holding the tank up (its not too long so you won't pull your tank wires out accidentally)

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, just have to remove one end side faring screws (2?) and tank will clear. I also use bungee cords to hold near-empty tank up.