Left Side Axle Nut...Gone!

2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site
Speaking of checking the bike before the ride,,,maybe I check too many times Blah - every 3hr I go down to my workplace's garage and inspect on my bike brake fluid, brake nipple screw...etc and get the smoke :rockon: I know it's bad habit but granted my excuse to go down to just inspect my bike LOL!

I agreed some posts up there, to unscrew, mess around with 87lbs nut is not an easy way like "got a wrench and let I mess this guy's bike axial nut up!" ..

I suspect the mechanic guy who adjusted the chain forgot to screw the nut or he just put it on while doing other things at that time..

Good luck!

Anyway you look at it, you should look at it. What I mean is we should all get in the habit of doing at least visual checks all around the bike. Very simply,the mechanism that was supposed to keep that nut on may have failed. Part of riding is prechecking your ride. I recently found my rear brake light switched had failed. I was able to clean, repair and readjust it on the spot.

I check lights, pinch bolts, brake calipers, fluids, controls/levers, chain, and tire pressure before a ride.

I know it's easier said than done in our sometimes busy schedules but if your on a bike you're at a disadvantage when there is a mechanical failure so at least do a visual check.

I have an idea... What about a castle nut with a cotter pin? :p

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My money is on someone screwing with your bike...

I would do as Motogiro posted, especially when done at work/ out and about, a quick walk around at the very least..

No one, except a Yamaha owner would want those parts and again, they don't wear out so there's really no reason for someone to steal them (other than to mess with you)...

There are bikes here with over 100,000 miles, numerous chains, tires, etc and no axle nuts falling off..

An axle nut is pretty darn hard to forget.

Once its started, even not tightened down fully, the self locking "tabs" would prevent it from coming off... That nut and washer is pretty large as well and hard to loose/forget.

Adjusting the chain entails just loosening that nut maybe one turn, adjusting and re-tightening. The mechanic, (unless removing the wheel) wouldn't have loosened it more than that, there's no reason to.

*And lastly, its Townsend, (not Townshend). I'd prefer to be called by my first name too. :D Tks..

2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site
It's hard to believe the axle nut gone but I got the coworker got his front brake lever ejected from his brand new 2011 CBR1000RR.

At first he told me that I couldn't believe until I went down to the garage to check it out...LOL. His was brand new CBR1000RR, $12K out the door. He was riding in mid of 405 light traffic on that day 55-60mph, and tried to slow down. He squeezed front brake little and pop! the lever just ejected from the handle bar. I didn't believe it and went down with him to check and the lever screw nut was gone, no sight of removal force.. it was like no screw at all as the lever just hung around until the time it just popped out!

Honda dealer didn't believe his story so but agreed to pay half of the cost to get him the new replacement part..

Hard to believe it huh,,but it happened!

Maybe the same thing happened to the axle nut :)..The mechanic guy just screwed it in a few thread by hand and jumped to work on something else and forgot to tighten it down :)!

Good luck and ride safe my fellow rider!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It's hard to believe the axle nut gone but I got the coworker got his front brake lever ejected from his brand new 2011 CBR1000RR.

At first he told me that I couldn't believe until I went down to the garage to check it out...LOL. His was brand new CBR1000RR, $12K out the door. He was riding in mid of 405 light traffic on that day 55-60mph, and tried to slow down. He squeezed front brake little and pop! the lever just ejected from the handle bar. I didn't believe it and went down with him to check and the lever screw nut was gone, no sight of removal force.. it was like no screw at all as the lever just hung around until the time it just popped out!

Honda dealer didn't believe his story so but agreed to pay half of the cost to get him the new replacement part..

Below, (double click to enlarge) is a pic of your friends bikes, front brake lever and hardware. The pivot bolt (#28) threads into the perch and then theres a nut (#31) locking that down underneath the perch.

Apparently, neither was tightened down enough from the factory (or during set up) but then again, neither are self locking, like your axle nut..

Short (well, kinda long)... I've bought many new bikes and the initial "set up" often needs some to be desired. On a 2005 KLR 250 I ordered new, when I went to pick it up, the headlight didn't work until I kick started it.

I had an 1989 (same bike) I sold with 73,000 miles and was quite familar with it (the head light SHOULD come on with JUST the key ON). When questioned about it, the two "mechanic's looked at each other and said, did YOU put acid in battery?? NEITHER DID.. Brand new, didn't even leave the dealer lot yet..

Several new FJR's have been documented to having the large, upper triple nut NOT Torqued DOWN, brand new bikes developing a head shake.

Point being, you don't know who's assembling your bike. The more familiar you are with YOUR bike and checking it over, the better...

Last edited:

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
I had this happen to me when I got off staff duty one morning. Thank god a fellow soldier came by with a dodge dually. We hemanned the heavy bastard in the back so I could get it home. It cost like 80$ from a delear to get it replaced. IDK WHY Yamaha couldn't put a castle nut with a codder pin in it. Don't ride it, the only reason I knew it was gone was when the chain came off. Good thing it didn't wrap around the front sprocket and break something.

I think what happened was, that I had recently got the back tire replaced at a less than reputable service shop and they didn't torque it down. When I got my new part I used my handy dandy bike wrench and a cheater bar. Never had an issue after that. Also adjusted it by site while the rear was off the ground and spinning. Not the suggested way, but wear was good and I had them check my work when I got a new tire on. They said the alignment was spot on.

TL;DR- don't save money on mounting lol

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I had this happen to me when I got off staff duty one morning. Thank god a fellow soldier came by with a dodge dually. We hemanned the heavy bastard in the back so I could get it home. It cost like 80$ from a delear to get it replaced. IDK WHY Yamaha couldn't put a castle nut with a codder pin in it. Don't ride it, the only reason I knew it was gone was when the chain came off. Good thing it didn't wrap around the front sprocket and break something.

I think what happened was, that I had recently got the back tire replaced at a less than reputable service shop and they didn't torque it down. When I got my new part I used my handy dandy bike wrench and a cheater bar. Never had an issue after that. Also adjusted it by site while the rear was off the ground and spinning. Not the suggested way, but wear was good and I had them check my work when I got a new tire on. They said the alignment was spot on.

TL;DR- don't save money on mounting lol

http://www.600riders.com/forum/showpost.php?p=603380&postcount=20

55910d1421256846-left-side-axle-nut-gone-castle-nut-jpg

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
hi guys. wonderful, informative thread. thank you

i picked up the chain puller and ordered the nut and washer. but in examining my bike today noticed....it seems to be different on the chain side then the other side?

the chain puller is a solid block, right? but here is a pic of the chain side with the missing nut. the new chain puller obviously won't go on because it seems to have one on already. at least that is what it looks like to me? just a different type of puller, right?

what exactly am i looking at here? it was not obvious to the naked eye but i now see that if that is a chain puller it has a "recessed"area the other does not, nor the one i bought.

20141021_161303.jpg

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
hi guys. wonderful, informative thread. thank you

i picked up the chain puller and ordered the nut and washer. but in examining my bike today noticed....it seems to be different on the chain side then the other side?

the chain puller is a solid block, right? but here is a pic of the chain side with the missing nut. the new chain puller obviously won't go on because it seems to have one on already. at least that is what it looks like to me? just a different type of puller, right?

what exactly am i looking at here? it was not obvious to the naked eye but i now see that if that is a chain puller it has a "recessed"area the other does not, nor the one i bought.

20141021_161303.jpg
The axle has been installed from the opposite side. Pull the axle and that aluminum block and install it from the other side. The aluminum adjusting block, washer and nut will then go on the chain side...

Sent from Moto's Motorola

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
FZ,
As Cliff said, YOUR AXLE is installed from the WRONG SIDE!!!
CORRECT INSTALLATION!
Insert from RIGHT, Nut on LEFT!
picture.php

picture.php

BUT GUESS WHAT - IT EXPLAINS WHY ITS MISSING!
Technical:
As the wheel spins CLOCKWISE, it spun the axle CLOCKWISE, with the nut being stationary (on the WRONG SIDE), its simply unscrewed!

This is Exactly why the AXLE should be installed from Right to Left and not left to right. If it gets loose, you loose your nuts!

--> This is workmanship Failure on two counts. :spank::spank: Improper direction and Tq spec. Basic knoledge of fasteners is all that is required. But someone wasn't paying attention! Plus its easier to assemble the right way than the wrong way.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Anyway you look at it, you should look at it. What I mean is we should all get in the habit of doing at least visual checks all around the bike. Very simply,the mechanism that was supposed to keep that nut on may have failed. Part of riding is prechecking your ride. I recently found my rear brake light switched had failed. I was able to clean, repair and readjust it on the spot.

I check lights, pinch bolts, brake calipers, fluids, controls/levers, chain, and tire pressure before a ride.

I know it's easier said than done in our sometimes busy schedules but if your on a bike you're at a disadvantage when there is a mechanical failure so at least do a visual check.

I have an idea... What about a castle nut with a cotter pin? :p

Anyone recall last summer Demo Days?

Last Summer at Yamaha demo days, I about crapped my pants!! I Was moments away from boarding a DEMO FZ09. I gave it a pre-ride inspection to find the TWO lower triple pinch bolts NOT SECURED AT ALL. Like just sticking out, pull out by hand laying there not missing but not securing ANYTHING! The single smaller pinch on the top triple was the only thing holding the left fork leg in.

Apparently a few states back someone crashed it. Yamaha Repair center did the repairs. FAIL!!!

INSPECT EVERYTHING YOU RIDE!!! Especially Bikes that are not yours!

The FZ09 picks the nose right up and I'd hate to think what **could have happened**..

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
HOLD ON JUST A COTTON PICKIN' MINUTE!!

are you are saying there is NOTHING MISSING?! its a n00b error on MY part, expecting to see a nut on the chain side....where it SHOULD be? and i simply made the mistake of thinking it was GONE?! when in fact my mechanic simply put it on opposite side of where it should be?

and if so can you even adjust the chain like this?

OMG!!

what explanation can my mechanic have for doing this? is it absolutely wrong? enough so he should reverse it for free? or does a reasonable explanation exist? the guy is very well regarded!

Arcadia Motorcycle Company - Arcadia, CA | Yelp

Last edited:

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
just found a pic of my bike from when i first bought it and BEFORE the tires were changed. the nut is on the right side, same as now

what reason would an experienced tech have to keep it that way, or at least not notice right off the bat its on the "wrong" side of the bike if it makes such a big difference?

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
alright, well pardon the triple post but i guess it's all over but the crying now. if i'd have posted a pic first i suppose i could have saved myself some grief, time, and a couple days of having to use a cage. which was a nightmare, trust me. i haven't owned a car or driven one much for four years, and it took me two hours the other day just to drive 30 miles to pick up a part i didn't need. oh lord

however i learned a little more about my bike, and i got to see the good of this forum once again. so helpful, patient, and knowledgeable members, here. thank you all

just so you all know i do perform my series of "checks" to the best of my ability on my bike. not every time i ride, but at least weekly. not sure exactly what i would be looking for, but i suppose visual checks will have to do for now. when i clean my bike which is weekly i give it all a good "look" and going over, but i never take a wrench to anything. everything always seems fine and well put together, and i am happy and ride. but maybe i will look further into it, now

i hope none of you consider all this a sad waste of time. it has made me consider getting more involved with my bike, and not taking anything for granted. but my understanding goes only so far so i rely on the fine people of this forum for as much help as possible

in this case i felt my chain needed a look and perhaps had too much slack. i recalled the chain adjust video from youtube and when i went down to adjust my chain....no nut was there! i assumed it was "gone" because i expected it to be there, not realizing the bike only has one. i assumed the cahin had a bit of slack because it was gone. so i sort of jumped the gun, maybe? needing my bike daily i wanted to take care of it ASAP, so i came here and made the thread

if you are laughing please laugh with me and not at me. i am going to clean my bike in a couple hours. it's the least i can do. and spend a nice day commuting, as always

thanks again, all of you. :rockon:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
just so you all know i do perform my series of "checks" to the best of my ability on my bike. not every time i ride, but at least weekly. not sure exactly what i would be looking for, but i suppose visual checks will have to do for now. when i clean my bike which is weekly i give it all a good "look" and going over, but i never take a wrench to anything. everything always seems fine and well put together, and i am happy and ride. but maybe i will look further into it, now

i hope none of you consider all this a sad waste of time. it has made me consider getting more involved with my bike, and not taking anything for granted. but my understanding goes only so far so i rely on the fine people of this forum for as much help as possible

if you are laughing please laugh with me and not at me. i am going to clean my bike in a couple hours. it's the least i can do. and spend a nice day commuting, as always

No ones laughing at you, it was a learning experiance for you.

Below are two pic's of mine I just literally took. That block holds the end of the axle from spinning, NO hexagonal axle head to hold on to.

A good visual look over is good however, taking a torque wrench to the bike to the bike every once in awhile will save you some grief and keep your bike safe.

You can look at something all you want but you CANNOT SEE a bolt (not fully loosened), IE, an axle tightened to 15 ft lbs vs 87 ft lbs, won't happen.. You generally cannot see (just "looking at it") if you have a good say ground wire connection to the frame without at least taking a wrench to it.

The best thing you can do is familiarize yourself with the bike and taking a wrench to it.

As you've read in this thread, there's numerous cases, EVEN from the factory, BRAND NEW BIKES, DEMO BIKES (and that's pretty bad), NOT assembled correctly, boltsNOT tightened down, etc.

And lastly, in many dealerships, you probably don't know who's wrenching on your bike. Is it a newbie, LEARNING? Heck you may have more experiance then he does!

I think I posted earlier, if you need the OWNERS MANUAL, I have it as a PDF file. It goes over how to adjust your chain, axle torque, etc. Having reviewed that, you likely would have seen the set up and that it was installed from the wrong side.. No new parts, etc...

Double click to enlarge;

Last edited:

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
When I bought my foz09, the first thing I did was pop the seat. Put the key in, lift, nothing. They ran the battery cable completely wrong causing it to pinch the cable, causing the mechanism to get into a bind. Would have been pissed after i got it hone. Hunan error be human error.

No one is laughing at you. Just with you here :)