Left Side Axle Nut...Gone!

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys :welcome:

Went to adjust my chain tonight as it seemed a bit loose and guess what? The chain side axle nut is gone! Being I need my bike for tomorrow just a few quick questions.

1) I noticed the chain being "loose" for about a week and have been riding my bike all over but can't be sure when the nut actually came off. The right one is still there and I note no wobble or handling difference. Can I ride the bike several miles to my bike guy to have this replaced? It's a straight line ride, essentially. And I will take it easy. This is what I would like to do. As said been riding the bike, and the right side nut is still on there pretty well. If it's OK to ride I understand it's not advisable, BUT can it be generally "safe."

2) If not, can I do this myself? The entire thing is gone. The nut, assembly, and whatever else goes with. Nothing but a big hole on the left side I can stick my finger in. And the chain is pretty loose, but not coming off the sprocket or anything. If it's a DIY job do I need to remove the wheel, and what not? Or does that "piece" just go right back on somehow with the wheel still on the bike? I figure the local Yamaha dealer would have these in stock, or someone like that. Also ebay has one for $10. Is it easy to do? Can you give me a bit of instruct?

But again, I'd rather take it in to my guy, or someone else local as it would save time and be simple. Need my bike safe and road worthy ASAP!

The entire nut and silver part below is gone. That little screw / nut the tiny wrench is attached to is still there.

Thanks!

picture.php

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Do not ride the bike. You're taking a chance you will damage the axle if it hasn't been damaged already as well as locking the rear tire in the swing arm and then going for a spill. You'll want to pull the axle and examine it for damage. If it looks good replace the nut and torque to spec. after you've adjusted the chain and aligned the rear wheel. :)

Last edited:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If it were me, I'd not be riding it. That nut is there for a damn good reason.
Best find another way to get around til a replacement is on. Then maybe you could ride to your mechanic to get it set up correctly but the risk of your axle assembly being loose and not sitting square could put you in a pretty dire situation that is easy to avoid- a PITA I know, but still avoidable.

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
thank you much for the quick replies. outstanding, really

is this a good vid to follow? looks like i simply loosen and remove the right side nut and can then pull the axle out, but the wheel will stay put so long as i put something under it.

inspect the axle for....damage? i suppose bend, break, or cracks of some sort? if all looks good replace axle nuts and ride to mechanic for proper adjustment and inspection after adjusting chain? also, how does one "align" the wheel, exactly? just line it up, so to speak? or do i measure things? also, should i grease the axle while i am at it?

this starts at the 3:00 mark, essentially

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4ns9u_JRJ0

thanks again, guys :)

Last edited:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have never done it myself solo but have "helped" my mechanic. the vid is pretty right.

about setting up alignment- google is you friend and if you do a search of this site you'll prob come up with a few tips using string lines etc.
as far as the axle, you will notice areas of wear, where the pressure has been uneven if its there. at worst damage to the the threads where the spacer block and nut went missing
sorry I cant be of more help

this might be helpful
How To Install a Rear Motorcycle Tire and Wheel from SportbikeTrackGear.com - YouTube

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Look at this and decide whats missing.....
Do not ride - should the odds stack against you, sh$t hits the fan and you and bike go down. The weight of the bike and you is the only thing keeping it together otherwise the axle comes right out! :eek::eek::eek::eek:
- Have friend stop by as the REAR WHEEL SHOULD BE REMOVED for inspection, of spacers, seals, bearings, etc....

That said, order or obtain the items below (BOLD) and TIGHTEN the nut while pushing forward on the rear tire so as to seat it on the bolts in the axle against the blocks (23). Just not so hard as to push the bike over off the stand.

Glad your OK!! A simple matter of unloading the shock around the "right corner" and wheel goes bye bye. You must ride pretty gentle for the wheel to still be there. Don't PRESS YOUR LUCK!!!

FWIW: pic above is a feeler gauge setting chain tension. And that's my 08! ;)

rearwheel.gif

List from: 2008 FZ6 (BLACK METALLIC X) (CA ED.) - FZS6XBC Yamaha Motorcycle REAR WHEEL Diagram and Parts

1 5SL-25338-00-98 CAST WHEEL, REAR LGB
2 93306-20531-00 BEARING
3 93106-40013-00 OIL SEAL
4 93317-43580-00 BEARING
5 93420-61M07-00 CIRCLIP
6 4XV-25317-00-00 SPACER, BEARING
7 5SL-25383-00-00 COLLAR, WHEEL
8 5VX-25364-00-00 DAMPER
9 94118-17041-00 TIRE (180/55ZR17M/C 73W BT020R) UR BRIDGESTONE
10 93900-00030-00 VALVE, RIM (TR412)TAIHEIYO
11 5MT-25398-00-00 BALANCER, WHEEL (10G)
12 5SL-25366-00-00 CLUTCH, HUB
13 93306-20531-00 BEARING
14 93106-40013-00 OIL SEAL
15 5VX-25446-01-00 SPROCKET, DRIVEN (46T)
16 90116-10485-00 BOLT, STUD
17 90185-10009-00 NUT, SELF-LOCKING
18 90201-10021-00 WASHER, PLATE
19 90387-28001-00 COLLAR
20 94582-11118-00 CHAIN (DID50V4-118LE)
21 90185-24007-00 NUT, SELF-LOCKING
22 90201-25020-00 WASHER, PLATE
23 5SL-25388-00-00 PULLER, CHAIN

24 5SL-25389-00-00 PULLER, CHAIN
25 5SL-25381-10-00 AXLE, WHEEL
26 90101-08013-00 BOLT
27 95302-08600-00 NUT

Hint - doing a WHERE USED on the PN's you'll find those are on A LOT OF BIKES. Its not specific to the FZ.

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
i cannot thank ALL of you enough. Final Impact....above and beyond the call of duty. i am burning the midnight oil over this thing.

ok, i am in a bit of luck as i do have access to a vehicle this morning. searching ebay a local salvage yard has the chain puller. they open at 8am and i will be there before that! one left in stock i am sure it will still be there. i am also going to see if they have the other two items. if not i will need to wait for my local Yamaha dealer to open

that said, Final you said to grab a friend and dismount the wheel. trouble is it's a work day and all my friends....work! i would like this solved by afternoon. so, barring taking the wheel off if i put those parts on you listed....even without messing with the other side of the bike and pulling the axle....can i then ride the bike safely to my mechanic so he can check it all out? i will put the pieces on, and adjust the chain as required and laid out in the video below, and ride the bike and have my guy do the rest. so, is that ok?

i mean if other parts like bearings and what not are missing i don't want to cause further damage. but as long as the wheel is secured on i figure it will be alright? and i have been riding the bike without....stuff....for a bit of awhile, at least. so, what do you say?

sorry about all the newb questions but it's my FIRST bike so am learning along the way. as said just want to get it on the road and safe ASAP.

i also assume the chain puller goes on first, then the washer, and lastly the nut. once on, just do this below, correct? chain adjust starts at 9:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7uXGmaWphs

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
i cannot thank ALL of you enough. Final Impact....above and beyond the call of duty. i am burning the midnight oil over this thing.

ok, i am in a bit of luck as i do have access to a vehicle this morning. searching ebay a local salvage yard has the chain puller. they open at 8am and i will be there before that! one left in stock i am sure it will still be there. i am also going to see if they have the other two items. if not i will need to wait for my local Yamaha dealer to open

that said, Final you said to grab a friend and dismount the wheel. trouble is it's a work day and all my friends....work! i would like this solved by afternoon. so, barring taking the wheel off if i put those parts on you listed....even without messing with the other side of the bike and pulling the axle....can i then ride the bike safely to my mechanic so he can check it all out? i will put the pieces on, and adjust the chain as required and laid out in the video below, and ride the bike and have my guy do the rest. so, is that ok?

i mean if other parts like bearings and what not are missing i don't want to cause further damage. but as long as the wheel is secured on i figure it will be alright? and i have been riding the bike without....stuff....for a bit of awhile, at least. so, what do you say?

sorry about all the newb questions but it's my FIRST bike so am learning along the way. as said just want to get it on the road and safe ASAP.

i also assume the chain puller goes on first, then the washer, and lastly the nut. once on, just do this below, correct? chain adjust starts at 9:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7uXGmaWphs

You should be OK to toss the parts at it. Look at the drawing if need be....
Your tool kit should have a wrench and handle for the wrench. Confirm you have those before setting off to the bone yard. Slide the extender handle over the wrench for more leverage, if the bike is on the center stand, throw a block in front of the front tire, grab the rear trailing arms and place your knee on the tire AND PUSH THE TIRE/WHEEL Assembly forward so the square blocks hit against the threaded stoppers. Tighten the nut.

ONCE YOU START APPLYING TENSION AND THE AXLE NUT HAS NO FREE PLAY, Confirm the wheel spins by hand. Bike in Neutral.
The concern here is the brakes bracket can drop out of place. IF it does, you can bend the disc rotor. If the Wheel spins freely you're Fine tho.

ONCE THE NUT HAS ENOUGH TENSION THAT PUSHING ON THE WRENCH IS LIFTING THE NOSE OF THE BIKE, Get the bike on the SIDE stand to complete tightening OR place a block of wood under the rear tire to prevent the tire from dropping/nose lifting. With that short wrench most of us can apply about 1/2 our upper body weight and that's tight. Your Done. Verify tire spins freely and brakes work.

2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site
wondering how the axle intact, locked in when the nut's gone?...uhmm If I were you I don't press my luck as well...if I still live I still have time to make money and buy more motorcycle ...

the nut (#21) is still there in the picture...was it the nut missing/gone?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
the nut (#21) is still there in the picture...was it the nut missing/gone?

Looking at FI's post, #6, EXACTLY, what parts are you missing? Part #'s please.

And agreed 100%, DO NOT RIDE the bike until all the parts are installed.

There are alignment marks on the inner edge of the swingarm where the block, (part #23) goes. You can put part #23 back in and make sure the marks are even on both sides of the swingarm. The main nut, (part #21) is self locking.

If you have the owners manual for the bike, adjusting the chain is in there and all the tools to adjust it ARE IN YOUR TOOL kit (should you have the tool kit normally stored under the seat). I would strongly suggust you read it fully. Most everything in the owners manual is there for the owner/rider to check / adjust, very, very basic maintainance..

If you need the owners manual, PM me with an e-mail address and I'll send it to you..

IMO, I would do the above.

With your limited experiance, pulling the rear wheel off will likely cause bigger issues (as FI noted re the rear brake/spacers, etc). Have your mechanic pull the axle and check for straightness. The chain slack should be approx 2" total up and down while on the center stand(its also in the owners manual).

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Randy I am so impressed!!!. I love to keep my bike clean but that is showroom floor stuff. How do yo do it?

Devote a couple of horse hair paint brushes to the cause of cleaning! They reach in there with little effort.
In those scenes I cleaned the chain and sprocket thoroughly ~ every 3 to 4 chain lube sessions. I don't commute as much as I did and seldom rain ride. I ride for fun to ease my mind and commute/city traffic is not part of that equation. That said, she's mainly subject to the counties GRAVEL which has nearly removed most of the underside paint and left the headers a mess. The flip side is I get to power-slide on the gravel! :D

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
thank you, everybody! i had to knock my gathering of parts and....repair, so to speak, back a day due to a changing schedule but did find a chain puller locally i ordered from ebay and will pick up tomorrow, and since its a salvage yard i am hoping they have the other items i need to get the wheel secured on. if not i will check my local dealer out, and maybe even some indie shops in the L.A. area. so i don't have to wait on getting the parts sent

so far as what other parts i might be "missing?" idk, really. i can't really see or feel anything in the "hole." its just a hole. i figure so long as the wheel is spinning well and the bike is not making any weird noises from back there i am good to ride a few miles or several to a shop to get it all checked out. if not MY "guy" another will have to do

thanks again. and just to make sure once more....replace chain puller by placing it over "hole" in swingarm, apply washer, ratchet in the self locking nut, adjust chain to reasonable spec, and ride? if thats it, i am good to go :)

oh, and i know i have my tool kit....somewhere. if not i have a craftsman set and what not, however. should do the trick. and i will follow the diagram posted by FI :)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
thank you, everybody! i had to knock my gathering of parts and....repair, so to speak, back a day due to a changing schedule but did find a chain puller locally i ordered from ebay and will pick up tomorrow, and since its a salvage yard i am hoping they have the other items i need to get the wheel secured on. if not i will check my local dealer out, and maybe even some indie shops in the L.A. area. so i don't have to wait on getting the parts sent

so far as what other parts i might be "missing?" idk, really. i can't really see or feel anything in the "hole." its just a hole. i figure so long as the wheel is spinning well and the bike is not making any weird noises from back there i am good to ride a few miles or several to a shop to get it all checked out. if not MY "guy" another will have to do

thanks again. and just to make sure once more....replace chain puller by placing it over "hole" in swingarm, apply washer, ratchet in the self locking nut, adjust chain to reasonable spec, and ride? if thats it, i am good to go :)

oh, and i know i have my tool kit....somewhere. if not i have a craftsman set and what not, however. should do the trick. and i will follow the diagram posted by FI :)

If your just mising those parts in "that hole", (axle still there, adjusting bolts still there) replacing them is straight forward.

Again, I would NOT RIDE the bike as is. Besides possible locking up the rear wheel, having a crash, its very possible to throw the chain thru the engine cases.

BTW, the dealer most likely will NOT have those parts in stock. Their not a wear and tear item and most likely need to be ordered so get everything you can at the bone yard.

I'd probably order a NEW (self locking) nut just for piece of mind (un-less the replacement one has a fair amount of "drag" before tightened down.

Why yours came off is a first.

Even if not torqued down fully, it shouldn't have come off. I suspect who ever had the wheel off last didn't tighten it down OR someone was intentionally screwing mechanically with your bike.. To loosen from 87 ft lbs and back all the way off needs help.

Last edited:

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
^thanks for all the advice and reassurance once more, Townshend

and you know i was pondering the same thing about how it came off? i mean its been months since my last chain adjust and just as many since the rear wheel was off the bike. my mechanic did the tire change, works alone, and is known for being very good. his reputation, i mean. he works on and sells bikes out of a small, industrial space. i just would not think him to overlook something as vital and obvious as properly tightening a nut that holds the rear tire on

then we have thieves. but who would want to steal these small items? i have heard of things being stolen off bikes, yeah. parts, i mean. but these would seem somewhat low value as the total adds up to less than $40 so far as i can see from shopping around. and i always park my bike on the side stand. i would think if loosening these things they'd pop it up on the center stand and leave it there. unless i am wrong about that and surprised someone as i approached and they took off? maybe they were after my wheel or other rear end parts? chain and sprocket? maybe it happened overnight where i park the bike in my carport? who knows?

then we have people who might be trying to do me harm? but i have no enemies and cannot imagine that? a stupid joke? nah? all that just seems unlikely, the intentionally trying to....hurt me

so back to my mechanic. seems the most likely scenario but i cannot be sure. just glad the bike and myself are OK.

thanks for everything once again, everyone :rockon:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
True ^^ an OEM nut should not have fallen off unless it never had its lock assembly engaged onto the threads.

look here for other bikes using the same chain puller...
5SL-25389-00-00 YAMAHA PULLER, CHAIN 2

It adds the 03-04 R6, 06-09 R6S

But this - this adds a list a SUSPECTS 3 miles long.....
Potential NUT Thieves Your nUt gonna sleep at night if you click that! :spank::spank:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
^thanks for all the advice and reassurance once more, Townshend

and you know i was pondering the same thing about how it came off? i mean its been months since my last chain adjust and just as many since the rear wheel was off the bike. my mechanic did the tire change, works alone, and is known for being very good. his reputation, i mean. he works on and sells bikes out of a small, industrial space. i just would not think him to overlook something as vital and obvious as properly tightening a nut that holds the rear tire on

then we have thieves. but who would want to steal these small items? i have heard of things being stolen off bikes, yeah. parts, i mean. but these would seem somewhat low value as the total adds up to less than $40 so far as i can see from shopping around. and i always park my bike on the side stand. i would think if loosening these things they'd pop it up on the center stand and leave it there. unless i am wrong about that and surprised someone as i approached and they took off? maybe they were after my wheel or other rear end parts? chain and sprocket? maybe it happened overnight where i park the bike in my carport? who knows?

then we have people who might be trying to do me harm? but i have no enemies and cannot imagine that? a stupid joke? nah? all that just seems unlikely, the intentionally trying to....hurt me

so back to my mechanic. seems the most likely scenario but i cannot be sure. just glad the bike and myself are OK.

thanks for everything once again, everyone :rockon:

Anyway you look at it, you should look at it. What I mean is we should all get in the habit of doing at least visual checks all around the bike. Very simply,the mechanism that was supposed to keep that nut on may have failed. Part of riding is prechecking your ride. I recently found my rear brake light switched had failed. I was able to clean, repair and readjust it on the spot.

I check lights, pinch bolts, brake calipers, fluids, controls/levers, chain, and tire pressure before a ride.

I know it's easier said than done in our sometimes busy schedules but if your on a bike you're at a disadvantage when there is a mechanical failure so at least do a visual check.

I have an idea... What about a castle nut with a cotter pin? :p