Laugh with me...

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
...and then cry.

I'll try not to make this long winded, but it is about par for the course lately. I decided to go for the Fz1 bar swap. All went fine (a little tedious fitting the throttle cables into the Rizoma grip) until the VERY LAST bolt on the handle bar clamp. For whatever reason, the torque wrench slipped, handle swings right into the tank. Makes a pea-sized chip. Ugh, the tainted job well done...

So, because I am fastidiously anal, I order up some touch up pens from Colorite which I cannot afford and give it a go. Instead of just dabbing the color pen in and leaving it alone, I try to smooth it out with some 1500 grit sandpaper before priming. As such, I inadvertently keep widening the area. Next thing I know, I have gone from the pea to a silver dollar sized eye sore. Too much space for the pens to really handle cleanly.

Lesson: Know when to leave well enough alone.

I called around to any shop that might help, and have been quoted around $200 plus paint by all. Of course, have to remove/drain take as well. As I have to get the paint because they don't have the codes, I am looking at $100 with shipping for a half pint, 150 for a pint. I can get a brand new tank for $400 (without the yammy decals). Haven't decided what to do yet. Just sad that my flawless tank got messed up when moving bars.

Feel free to harass and belittle me :spank: In the famous words of Walt from Slapshot, I guess I am just "Makin' it look mean!"

The only good thing was that to redeem myself, I decided to finally paint the radiator guards, and they came out really well in my opinion. Wheel stripes as well.

Thanks for listening; needed to get that off my chest.

Scorp

BamBam77

Old but still riding
Reaction score
Visit site
Why not get on ebay and buy some vinyl wrap, carbon fiber or what ever
and stripe your tank to hide the bobo
Or come up with cool new idea;

Fishwiz4

Reaction score
Visit site
big bummer. that sounds like somthing I would do.... turn a tiny problem into a major issue. I am glad that you have a sense of humor about it. I think I would be much more upset.

good luck getting it fixed up.

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions and the moral support. I will definitely look into the cover (and sticker) options. Won't make any hasty decisions to compound the problem.

I do have a sense of humor about it; you have to. I'm starting to understand that it is necessary in order to really appreciate the bike.

But underneath that humor is a raging torrent of pissed and bouts of manic depression and self-loathing. :0

For real.

Thanks,

Scorp

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That sucks man!

I for one am always just happy to leave massive gouges all over my bike. It adds character. :D

ctbandit

Fazer, don't even know er
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to thread-jack but maybe you can help me . Just bought an fz6 and whens strapping the bike down with canyon dancers the bars started to move. Anyone know what they call the type of wrench needed for the triple clamps and what size it is??

Doesn't seem to be a regular allen wrench?

jcfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Damn man, that sucks. It reminds me of some of my projects...man I feel your pain.

Isn't it amazing how a simple little project can turn into an ordeal like this. Oh well, at least you're learning to laugh about it.:thumbup:

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Damn man, that sucks. It reminds me of some of my projects...man I feel your pain.

Isn't it amazing how a simple little project can turn into an ordeal like this. Oh well, at least you're learning to laugh about it.:thumbup:

+1 to all of that.

And to everyone for the support :)

I'm kicking around some ideas...have to let it all simmer first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd add some color to the original blem in a couple different applications and take some 1600grit wet dry sand paper and just go over it until the scratch marks are gone (using soap and water). They make rubber backing pads just for rounded things like tanks.

Get a buffer, some polishing compound, and tape off the area and buff it. Once done, move to some polishing compound. Once the polish is looking good, pull the tape and polish the tank. Then apply sealer and wax walla - done!

If you layer in the original blem and sand it over with 1200 to 1600 it'll all but dissapure. The trick is leaving the last top coat alone (touch up paint) so it remains shinny. PM me if you want more details. If you have a buffer you should be set.

Sorry about that. . . I'm like you and feel your pain :(

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd add some color to the original blem in a couple different applications and take some 1600grit wet dry sand paper and just go over it until the scratch marks are gone (using soap and water). They make rubber backing pads just for rounded things like tanks.

Get a buffer, some polishing compound, and tape off the area and buff it. Once done, move to some polishing compound. Once the polish is looking good, pull the tape and polish the tank. Then apply sealer and wax walla - done!

If you layer in the original blem and sand it over with 1200 to 1600 it'll all but dissapure. The trick is leaving the last top coat alone (touch up paint) so it remains shinny. PM me if you want more details. If you have a buffer you should be set.

Sorry about that. . . I'm like you and feel your pain :(
While sage advice I am sure, this is the kind of thinking that will ultimately get me into trouble. :)

I must admit that paint is too great a foe and bow out gracefully...

Honestly, I'm too scared I'd only mess up again during step one and you all would see a thread much worse than this! I have a wide range of sand paper from my hourly trips to Advance Auto this weekend, but I really have no prior experience to benchmark.

Hide it until I can afford it might become the motto here.

Scorp

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Tankbag. Prob solved.

Yep, this works, or a tank bra...my black FZ6 has a Bagster tank bra on it most of it's life, not because it is damaged, and not because i need to attach a tank bag to it regularly, but because it saves my perfectly immaculate tank from scratches....and some dents...

Re the initial issue, dont get too pissed off with yourself...most of us have done something like this....the thing to do, is cover delicate area's of the bike with a cloth, or something which will protect it from a dropped spanner, etc...when you are doing work on the bike!

You know it could be worse...recently i "finished" my black bike after 2 years of modding....the day i finished i decided to ride the thing to work that night...and guess what, some drunk idiot ran out in front of me, causing a rather nasty stack...result, about $2500 worth of repairs, which i ended up forking out for myself!!!!

That really pissed me off!!!!

Just my 2 cents.

:thumbup:

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, this works, or a tank bra...my black FZ6 has a Bagster tank bra on it most of it's life, not because it is damaged, and not because i need to attach a tank bag to it regularly, but because it saves my perfectly immaculate tank from scratches....and some dents...

Re the initial issue, dont get too pissed off with yourself...most of us have done something like this....the thing to do, is cover delicate area's of the bike with a cloth, or something which will protect it from a dropped spanner, etc...when you are doing work on the bike!

You know it could be worse...recently i "finished" my black bike after 2 years of modding....the day i finished i decided to ride the thing to work that night...and guess what, some drunk idiot ran out in front of me, causing a rather nasty stack...result, about $2500 worth of repairs, which i ended up forking out for myself!!!!

That really pissed me off!!!!

Just my 2 cents.

:thumbup:
Wolf, I totally remember reading when that happened; felt horrible for you on that one :(

Yeah, definitely a learning experience. And in the grand scheme of bike, health, and happiness, not a huge issue.

I think if I'm strong, I can move on...

Scorp

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Painful, but these things happen to all of us. I would definitely go for Bagster over repaint, in this situation.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Just cover it with a sticker...there is no point in trying to keep your bike pristine...the day you buy a new tank for $400 could be the same day you drop the bike and dent the tank! I learned long ago that trying to keep a vehicle/bike pristine is the best way to INSURE that something will happen! Nothing bad ever happens to old, beat up machines!

BamBam77

Old but still riding
Reaction score
Visit site
I said something about getting on ebay but there's small kits of vinyl at most auto stores:thumbup:
And remember vinyl is not permanent you can take a hair dryer at any time to move or change it.:cheer:

We have the technical to make it better than new, cooler, sharper, and heavy duty!:eek: