K&N Air Filter Installation - easy does it

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Me and Numpty ordered ours today. Dlivery in 6-7 days.
I will do my head light mod then. May as well when the tank is up.

Neil

Excellent how to mate.

congrats on the purchase, i will be along as soon as the break in is done, Also good excuse to do another mod... while you are at it and all...

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
congrats on the purchase, i will be along as soon as the break in is done, Also good excuse to do another mod... while you are at it and all...
I also purchased an external power socket today to. That will then go in then also.
I have gone from no mods to three in the swipe of a visa lol.

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great write up and pics mate. Nice one :thumbup:
Thanks again :rockon:
Me and Numpty ordered ours today. Dlivery in 6-7 days.
I will do my head light mod then. May as well when the tank is up.

Neil

Excellent how to mate.
Thanks and be sure to post pics after you're done :thumbup:
I also purchased an external power socket today to. That will then go in then also.
I have gone from no mods to three in the swipe of a visa lol.
It is addicting now isn't it?
It is scary how easy that is...

Cheers! :Sport:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: K&N Air Filter Installation - easy does it + daft question

I recently did the light mod and had the air box off, when I got it all on again I noticed a marked increase in the airbox roar. I thought that I had displaced one of the air box manifolds. I had actually forgot to put the horizontal tube on the right hand side of the box on. it sounded great.
Is this the tube Charlie was refering to?

Quote: modify the inlet side of the box thus allowing even more availability in terms of air volume.

Having purchased the K&N will it make much difference in the performance with a catted stock exhaust? Have I just waisted some beer tokens?
What would happen if this tube is left disconected?
Do I need to re-tune the carbs to allow for extra lean / rich fuel mix?

Nelly

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

If you accidently disconnected one of the tubes, simply attach it back ;-). I'm curious how did you disconnect the horizontal tube? I did not run to any of that. Post photos if you can.

Cheers.

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So has anyone checked their mileage yet stock vs. K&N, or stock vs. Scorps, or stock vs. Scorps w/PCIII, or stock vs. Scorps, K&N, and PCIII? I have stock everything w/Scorps and stock cat and haven't really checked it yet and I was curious.

Thanks.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

If you accidently disconnected one of the tubes, simply attach it back ;-). I'm curious how did you disconnect the horizontal tube? I did not run to any of that. Post photos if you can.

Cheers.
Whilst doing the headlight Mod the air box needs to come off. I forgot to put the horizontal tube back on.

Nel

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Will these instructions work if one moves up the "cold one" step to the front?
I beleive it is essential, certainly for the UK K&N air filter install it clearly states that the MOD. Should only be undertaken in the presence of 6 blokes you have never meet before but don't mind getting pissed with (drunk US to UK translation).

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Confirming, one does not need a PCIII when running the K&N?

Also which is the cheapest place to get the filter?
Not the UK mate, it will cost £45.00 for the filter and £100.00 for the beer lol.
Any way you look at it. Joking aside these filters will last a lifetime. It only takes two OME replacments to get the cost back.

Nelly

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: K&N Air Filter Installation - Is it woryh it.

So I put the K&N in yesterday. The weather was pretty crappy so I took it for a spin anyway.
The child in me had childish expectations, when I crank the throttle open would the front just effortlessly rise from the floor with an induction noise that would make heads turn and children cry?

NO, So the adult in me thought about what I had just done.

Was the K&N worth £45.00?

Yes it was, it has a lifetime guarantee and with two stock filter changes you re-coup your money back.

Was the induction noise the throaty rasp I was hoping? That would raise the hairs on my neck?

No, with the stock exhaust there is hardly any noticeable induction noise at tick over or below 5000 rpm. Thats not to say there is no noise change. Its just very subtle. Its like you know its there but others may not (don't wake the beast).

Did I notice a better acceleration or take off from stock ?
No, I’m not that good a rider to notice fine changes, most of my riding is at
<5000rpm so above this I am still learning. Its to easy to feel that your bum dyno is reading 30bhp more than there really is.

Did the induction noise make me grin like a naughty boy at 7000 - 11500 rpm?

OH YES, for me this is where I have noticed the difference in the bike. The induction noise is throaty and got my heart going. Wheather there were a few more ponies at the rear wheel I could not tell. I also felt that the revs got up a lot quicker. This may just be my bum dyno needing calibration, and the fact that I don't genrally ride at 11,000 rpm on a regular basis.

Why should you consider buying one?

As mentioned it is cheap in terms of life span.
It is a non-disposable in this very disposable world.
It comes wit an excellent guarantee.
It is worthwhile if you are going to change stock exhaust to attain the extra power gains.
I have learnt more about my bike by taking bit off of it and would be happy to carry on working on it.
7500+ rpm you do feel a difference.

So you have the facts just go for it.

Nelly

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Items Needed:
Allen wrench 4mm and 5mm
Phillips screwdriver
K&N air filter (YA-6004)
Time: < 15 min.

1. Using the 4mm Allen wrench remove two screws holding the side fairing. Repeat on other side.
2350374511_9207c37ca3.jpg

2. Slide off the side fairing and repeat on other side.
2351206352_413a3310a0.jpg

3. Take off the Seat
2350374637_6d297e367f.jpg

4. Using 5mm Allen wrench remove the two bolts holding the gas tank.
2351206778_d8ce5c990f.jpg

5. Slowly lift up the gas tank, making sure not to accidently disconnect the wires underneath tank. Using bungee cords and/or string secure the gas tank to back passenger handles.
2351206630_64bf18b5c5.jpg

6. With a Phillips screwdriver remove six screws from the air box.
2350373791_2678d3e89e.jpg

7. Lift up the top air box cover and remove old filter.
2351207142_ce8f49f470.jpg

8. Making sure “FRONT” faces the front of the bike slide in the new K&N air filter in the air box.
2351205990_810220b65a.jpg

9. Repeat steps 1 – 7 in reverse order.
10. Enjoy a cold one. Cheers!:iconbeer:
2350374131_9e563be64f.jpg
Hi Mate this is a very minor point.
My side pods are also held on with a plastc screw that is just below the mirror stem.
I have lost one one the re-install and put the other one back. It has made no difference to the stability of the fairing.
The K&N come with a sticker saying do not dispose. I thought where am I going to put that? I have stuck my sticker on the front inside of the air box. So that if a mechanic is looking or servicing my bike they wont lob it in the trash.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Mate this is a very minor point.
My side pods are also held on with a plastc screw that is just below the mirror stem.
I have lost one one the re-install and put the other one back. It has made no difference to the stability of the fairing.
The K&N come with a sticker saying do not dispose. I thought where am I going to put that? I have stuck my sticker on the front inside of the air box. So that if a mechanic is looking or servicing my bike they wont lob it in the trash.

Typically people put those on the outside of the airbox, typically the mechanics won;t even open the box to check the filter because they won't clean it anyway. It is up to you to keep track of it now...

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
...The K&N come with a sticker saying do not dispose. I thought where am I going to put that? I have stuck my sticker on the front inside of the air box. So that if a mechanic is looking or servicing my bike they wont lob it in the trash.

Good point :thumbup:

Thanks. I would not want my filter mistakenly thrown away and swapped for a cheaper paper version.

Numpty

Reaction score
Visit site
K&N fitted at the weekend while on the uk meet up.Easyest mod to date.Thanks to Nelly for the purchase and safe delivery. :thumbup: