Replacing Red Kill Switch Assembly

vb7prog

Reaction score
Visit site
Today I replaced my kill switch / starter button assembly from a used replacement found on eBay (just the two switches in black plastic assembly without throttle portion).

The replacement part was from a 2013 FZ6R. I was worried it might not be compatible although it looked identical, it was fine, so at least for this part there seems to be compatibility between FZ6 and FZ6R.

The job took 2 hours and basically required the following:

Unscrew old assembly from bottom (Phillips screwdriver)
Undo Right front brake (Alan wrench)
Lift Tank (take out internal fairings and tank bolts (Alan wrench)
Remove Air-box (Alan wrench) [warning putting this back on can be nerve racking]
Remove Battery
Unhook Battery Holding Plastics
Loosen Remove (Two Frame Bolts 10mm recessed socket)

After this you can remove the starter / kill switch assembly

When putting the assembly back on.

Start by placing the unit loosely over the handlebars in the correct orientation and position
Then rehookup the throttle connection.
Then screw the bottom plastic to the assembly.
Then screw in the two connecting screws from the bottom and it should be good to go.
Then just connect the cord to where the old connection was connected to.

After this you need to reverse the process to put the bike back together.

The replacement part happened to be $20 on ebay so I got a great deal, and I did all the labor (2 hours), so it turned out to be a nice cheap fix, but I don't know if I can recommend unless you need to save money and have a mechanical touch with the bike.

TL:DR cumbersome project best avoided if possible

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
$20 for the switch, that sounds like a great deal. I think I paid like $70 for mine, factory new and about an hour labor.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Today I replaced my kill switch / starter button assembly from a used replacement found on eBay (just the two switches in black plastic assembly without throttle portion).

The replacement part was from a 2013 FZ6R. I was worried it might not be compatible although it looked identical, it was fine, so at least for this part there seems to be compatibility between FZ6 and FZ6R.

The job took 2 hours and basically required the following:

Unscrew old assembly from bottom (Phillips screwdriver)
Undo Right front brake (Alan wrench)
Lift Tank (take out internal fairings and tank bolts (Alan wrench)
Remove Air-box (Alan wrench) [warning putting this back on can be nerve racking]
Remove Battery
Unhook Battery Holding Plastics
Loosen Remove (Two Frame Bolts 10mm recessed socket)

After this you can remove the starter / kill switch assembly

When putting the assembly back on.

Start by placing the unit loosely over the handlebars in the correct orientation and position
Then rehookup the throttle connection.
Then screw the bottom plastic to the assembly.
Then screw in the two connecting screws from the bottom and it should be good to go.
Then just connect the cord to where the old connection was connected to.

After this you need to reverse the process to put the bike back together.

The replacement part happened to be $20 on ebay so I got a great deal, and I did all the labor (2 hours), so it turned out to be a nice cheap fix, but I don't know if I can recommend unless you need to save money and have a mechanical touch with the bike.

TL:DR cumbersome project best avoided if possible

Nice write up but you had to remove the air box?.. Thanks

Last edited:

vb7prog

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, it may be possible to change without removing air-box, but I'm not aware how, its pretty deep under airbox / battery so the problem is accessibility. If anyone knows a way to do the procedure without that let us know ?

Incidentally, I can't reply to the thread normally, I used a quick reply and it worked, but just replying I got what appears to be a 404 error from the cloudflare hosting service.