Just my luck!

Soap

Reaction score
Visit site
Just my luck today, been out all day riding around NW England with no problems. Heading to work tonight, filtering through traffic and a car pulls up on my inside when I stopped and shouts "Mate!" so I thought here we go, another angry motorist, the next words were "I think you have a large screw or nail in your back tyre, just thought I would let you know"

So I pulled over to look and low and behold, a huge screw stuck in, not even 500 miles on it!

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
Just my luck today, been out all day riding around NW England with no problems. Heading to work tonight, filtering through traffic and a car pulls up on my inside when I stopped and shouts "Mate!" so I thought here we go, another angry motorist, the next words were "I think you have a large screw or nail in your back tyre, just thought I would let you know"

So I pulled over to look and low and behold, a huge screw stuck in, not even 500 miles on it!

That sucks man, nice of him to tell you about it. I haven't had that pleasure just yet, I need an emergency patch kit first.

Soap

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't want to get a new tyre tbh, spoke to the bikers at work and they said just plugging it will be fine for the time being but I know I should get a new one.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd plug it but look to invest in a new one as soon as possible.

I keep a plug kit and 12V Slime compressor in my tail bag at all times. Haven't had to use it yet, thankfully!

Glad to hear there's some good folks there! Also glad you didn't find out at 100 kph in a blowout!

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I know there is almost as much controversy on plugging as on oil but this plug kit is the greatest
http://www.stopngo.com/motorcycle.asp

By all accounts this is a very good kit and it's easy to use. However, there are many folks (guys who ride a lot more than me) who claim that the mushroom plugs in the stop-n-go kit won't hold in some punctures that a regular cheap-o car tire kit will work with.

I practiced poking nails/screws into an old car tire a couple of months and then plugging them. The cheap kits actually seem to work. What I learned was that you need a good pair of pliers to get an object out of a tire and it's takes a lot of force to ream out a puncture before putting in a plug (the actual plugging part of easy).

W

wrightme43

That sucks man.

I dont know about plugging them for any more than a ride home or so. If you had four wheels and a spare, no problems.

If 10 psi can make you slide out and under a car....... Well not so much. Our tires hold a whole lot less air volume. They experince massive deformation where the tread contacts the road and plugs fail sometimes.

I understand completely the desire to save the tire. Have you thought about a patch on the inside instead? It is a much much better way.

Soap

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I've known people to ride 3000miles back home from Europe trips and ride for 3 months before changing it without problems, very dodgy I know.

I'll just take it to a tyre place and ask them to do something with it and see what they say. It's not deflated as you would guess but I'm not riding on it. What a bloody pain, supposed to be lovely weather today as well.

doc_simple

Meat Popsickle
Reaction score
Visit site
I tried the slime patch kiit and inflator. I think i'm just not capable of such delicate work :tard:

My grossly deformed patch lasted long enough to ride the 10 miles to the shop. I will still be riding with the patch kit and pump.... but I think I need training.

And 2 of my last 4 tires got nails within 1k miles.:banghead:

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
I think we bikers pick up more punctures because we ride in those bits of the road the cars don't so their tyres sweep the crap into where we go. If I'm filtering along a line of traffic I'll have sweep for any obvious stuff in the road but you can't see everything so we inevitably pick up punctures. This time of year is hedge trimming time so there's the added hazard of hawthorn and other sharp natural objects at the edge of rural roads.

The cops up there are particularly nasty. They'll hide out in bushes at the side of the road with their speed cameras. I'm from Northwich and once managed to pick up 9 points by the police in north wales and Runcorn and I didn't see any of them until I got the NIP in the post

Soap

Reaction score
Visit site
Hehe I know what your saying mate I'm always pretty alert but seeing a screw is like trying to spot ants in the road! lol. It could have been from the work's car park as a lot of people have got them from there. I really don't know, I'm just glad I found out before I went on the motorway.