Dropped my FZ6 today while stopped

Abimelec

Reaction score
Visit site
I got off the express, then I was coming unto an intersection to turn right. As always I downshifted but the bike wouldn't downshift :confused: The shifter was loose. I would upshift and it would just move up and down not throwing any gear change at all. Once I came to the stop I thought, "oh boy for sure it's gonna turn off on my since it's in 6th gear. I tried giving it some throttle and it was starting to die out. So I decided to get off and start pushing the bike into a Whataburger next to the street. The entrance of the restaurant was a little steep plus there was a huge water puddle since it rained yesterday. I managed to push it up cause i dint wanna drop it in the water. :D I tried getting back on the bike and see if it would downshift but as I got on it I lost balance and down it went. :( I was so mad! how could this happen to me!! :eek: Another motorcyclist came an helped me lift the bike. We checked the shifter and saw that a screw was out of it's place. The shift lever was not connected since the screw had lost a nut. we screwed it back in place and off I went. I look at it back and I see my error in dropping the bike. My error was that I didn't put down the side stand and just tried getting on it. But as i think of it I wasn't paying attention to putting down the side stand since i couldn't put the motorcycle in neutral to let go of the clutch. I didn't want to turn it off either cause my FZ6 has problems starting back on once in a while. But oh well the bike is fine. Nothing happened to it since it has frame sliders and it just laid over. I laid it down little by little not wanting it to hit the floor hard. And as it went down, so did my strength since it got heavier each time it went near the floor. That's just another thing that's happened to my bike so far... I've had lots of problems with it ever since i got it. I don't know why I'm having bad luck with it. When i first got it one of the valves came loose and hit the piston ( scratched it of course so i had to replace that). Luckily that happened while it was parked too. i paid to get that fixed $1,300. The next thing after that was getting a flat on the rear tire. After that the throttle cable came loose while riding. IT wouldn't accelerate anymore due to that. I had to call my shop to come pick up the bike. And now it's this. I need to find a nut to put on that screw ASAP. That's all so far. I'm hoping it's over soon. All this has occurred in a time frame of 6 months. It's really taking away from me the enthusiasm of riding a motorcycle. But I haven't given up yet. :(

edgeofnj

Reaction score
Visit site
good thing you were in control and it didn't cause an accident. make sure to get some thread lock on that nut!

Abimelec

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey edgeofnj, Can you check your FZ6 and see if that screw has a thread nut. I checked it already but it seems to be tighten already. It looks like it won't come off again. Maybe when I had it at the shop, the people there didn't tighten it right. They didn't do such a great job cause when I got it back it was missing several screws.

Abimelec

Reaction score
Visit site
I would have but other shops here in the RGV charge $500+ just for checking your engine. These people just opened up the bike and told me what the problem was. THen i told em to buy the parts they needed.

edgeofnj

Reaction score
Visit site
don't have my bike near me now, but you're right - it doesn't have a nut.

taken from powersportsplus...

SHIFT_SHAFT.png

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you buy a bike that hadn't been well taken care of by its previous owner? Make the best of it and ensure everything on the bike is sorted or sell the thing on and lesson learned.

Abimelec

Reaction score
Visit site
They guy must have not taken good care of the bike. He sold it to me for $3.7K it was a reasonable price. But with it breaking down later, I paid $1.3K for the repair. He discounted $500 so I practically got it for $4.2k The bike had 8K miles when i got it so that's not bad for a bike. Also what else do you think I should look into the bike to see if everything is in place? It got, spark plugs changed, new oil, change, K&N air filter. They did a tune up at the shop but what are things I should check. Just in case.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
This happened to me the other day. Luckily I was on the highway so I was able to just coast to a stop and pull over. I had downshifted hard into 3rd for a quick pull and then suddenly the shifter went limp. The screw had backed its way out completely. I didn't have the correct size allen wrench on me (Thinking I need a tool kit in my tank bag). A state trooper pulled over as I was standing there for about ten minutes with my hazards on. He had a tool kit and the exact metric allen key in his trunk. I torqued it down and then when I got home put red loctite on it and torqued it down nice and tight. Hoping it'll stay this time.