my bad luck is getting expensive

jerdman89

wait... what goes here?
Reaction score
Visit site
I have had to buy 3 back tires in the past 4 months. The first was just my new set to pass inspection, the second was less than 300 miles into my new set I found a nail or piece of large gauge wire idk stuck in the rear, now today I went to back the bike out of the shed for work and noticed the rear tire was half flat. I put it up on the center stand, spun the tire, and there it was a screw that with a couple hundred more would make a nice set of ice tires. It pisses me off.

psnbye

I used to be Jethro
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Were you bad in your previous life? Maybe you should do some good deeds like feed a homeless dude a cheese burger, your tires will thank you...

mponder

Reaction score
Visit site
Is it karma, bad luck or maybe you are riding near construction site? What ever it is, I hope you figure out the issue before your wallet dies from abuse.

viviifz6

Winter...
Reaction score
Visit site
Dude, im sorry that sucks because rear tires are expensive...But at least it didnt happen to you like the guy on the highway i was riding behind, could have really ate $#!7

jerdman89

wait... what goes here?
Reaction score
Visit site
They are doing road work and adding onto the sheetz on my way to work but after the first tire I went out of my way to avoid that and only rode thru there once about 2 weeks ago to get gas. I'm starting to think it might just be karma telling me to be a better person. My baby's going to get put away for the winter looking like a beaten dog with a flat tire and accident damage.:(

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I know i am going to catch heck for this, but plug the tire, or if you want to be really safe, take it off and patch it from the inside. I have ridden on 3 plugged tires, including track days and have never had an issue. heck, the rear tire on Keira's bike got plugged when it was 300 miles new and she has 12000 miles on the tire and it is about toast, but the plug is still holding.

If you aren't going to run the tires because of simple punctures, send them to me and i will, like you said, tires are expensive!

heck, i'd even trade with you a takeoff that i have in my basement, it is a stock rear dunlop from a 2009 R1. dum dum did a 5 second burnout on the brand new tire, then swapped it straight out, so it shows a burnout mark in the middle, but it was brand new from the dealership (maybe 30 miles) when he got it and turned it to a race bike. but it is a 190, so a lil wider...

Last edited:

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I,ve done thousands of K's on plugs as well and never had a problem,the last one was at 4000 k's and It was still fine after 16000.

I know how you feel about losing money on tyres, I put a brand new set of PR2's on two weeks before I totaled mine !

EDIT:the worst I ever did was 4 flats in 24 hours on the GOR ,was not a happy camper !

spock

Reaction score
Visit site
Totally agree with reiobard and Ozfazer6, have had several punctures on rear tires, have plugged them myself and riding them as usual, no problems at all.

And for the money, you're lucky, you're prices are not as high as ours.

It's supposed our economy is bad and our incomes are pretty low, but all these things are pretty dam*n expensive, go figure!

Cheers.

jerdman89

wait... what goes here?
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll patch it and see how it holds up, it's dead center of the tread this time so I don't have anything to worry about while I'm leaned over. It's just the risk of a blowout on a bike that I don't trust plugging the tire but I rode on the last one about 50 miles and didn't have a problem.

manybikes

Reaction score
Visit site
I know i am going to catch heck for this, but plug the tire, or if you want to be really safe, take it off and patch it from the inside. I have ridden on 3 plugged tires, including track days and have never had an issue. heck, the rear tire on Keira's bike got plugged when it was 300 miles new and she has 12000 miles on the tire and it is about toast, but the plug is still holding.

If you aren't going to run the tires because of simple punctures, send them to me and i will, like you said, tires are expensive!

heck, i'd even trade with you a takeoff that i have in my basement, it is a stock rear dunlop from a 2009 R1. dum dum did a 5 second burnout on the brand new tire, then swapped it straight out, so it shows a burnout mark in the middle, but it was brand new from the dealership (maybe 30 miles) when he got it and turned it to a race bike. but it is a 190, so a lil wider...

Read the latest Cycle World, in the tech question section there is an article about tire plugs/patches.
I wouldn't trust them for more than a short distance until you can replace the tire.
You really are gambling with your life/health.
Imagine laying in a hospital paralized for life... the $200.00 or so for a new tire would look real cheap.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Read the latest Cycle World, in the tech question section there is an article about tire plugs/patches.
I wouldn't trust them for more than a short distance until you can replace the tire.
You really are gambling with your life/health.
Imagine laying in a hospital paralized for life... the $200.00 or so for a new tire would look real cheap.

I've been pluggin my bikes tires for 23 years and never did one blow out....I too though bought into the propaganda of "Dont plug em it will kill you"!!! a couple years ago,when I went to work for a Yamaha dealership,but then I got another nail in my rear tire.....Plugged it and rode it for another 3,000 miles without a problem...... :BLAA: :rockon:

manybikes

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been pluggin my bikes tires for 23 years and never did one blow out....I too though bought into the propaganda of "Dont plug em it will kill you"!!! a couple years ago,when I went to work for a Yamaha dealership,but then I got another nail in my rear tire.....Plugged it and rode it for another 3,000 miles without a problem...... :BLAA: :rockon:

I have also used them with no problems but only as a temporary fix.
I must admit that I do not personally know anyone who has experienced a catastrophic failure, which they claim is what is most likely to occur as opposed to a slow leak.
According to what I have read, along with the size/depth of the puncturing object it is also the act of ramming the plug tool through the hole that can compromise the integrity of the tires structure.

I can guess that a shop may face liability issues if they plug a tire which ends up failing and killing/injuring someone so it may not be just propaganda to sell new tires.
I am also not so sure that your bike would pass a track safety if they were made aware of a plugged tire (I'm guessing here)

Anyway...each to his own, for my own peace of mind I prefer to have rubber I have 100% confidence in.

spock

Reaction score
Visit site
On the street I will ride anytime a tire plugged by myself, without any doubt, because as I said previously I have done it several times for me and friends without any issue at all. Also the local topography is wild and our roads don't allow really high speeds for extended periods of times.

However, for the track I won't do it, because of the speeds and temps.

Anyway I don't ride in the track 'cause one is not available here, so no worries :D

Cheers

Last edited:

Gcontroller

Reaction score
Visit site
I've used a internal plug/Patch for over 10,000 miles on tire before on two different tires. That being said after the second tire was done I purchased a new one at Cycle Gear. But this time I purchased the tire insurance I think it cost about $25 if I remember correctly.

So I get another Pilot Road 2 CT (rear tire) and after 1000 miles I pick up another nail. Again I got a internal plug and put another 10,000 miles on the tire. It came time to replace the front which I put over 20,000 miles on. So I decided to take advantage of the rear tire insurance I purchased. They measured the tread and gave me 44% off the cost of a new rear Pilot Road 2 CT. Installed with the added cost of new tire insurance it was about $165 OTD. Not bad well worth the cost of the insurance.

manybikes

Reaction score
Visit site
I've used a internal plug/Patch for over 10,000 miles on tire before on two different tires. That being said after the second tire was done I purchased a new one at Cycle Gear. But this time I purchased the tire insurance I think it cost about $25 if I remember correctly.

So I get another Pilot Road 2 CT (rear tire) and after 1000 miles I pick up another nail. Again I got a internal plug and put another 10,000 miles on the tire. It came time to replace the front which I put over 20,000 miles on. So I decided to take advantage of the rear tire insurance I purchased. They measured the tread and gave me 44% off the cost of a new rear Pilot Road 2 CT. Installed with the added cost of new tire insurance it was about $165 OTD. Not bad well worth the cost of the insurance.

10k miles out of a rear tire! that is impressive!
Pilot Road 2 is on my buy list for my next tire.

Last edited:

manybikes

Reaction score
Visit site
Another point to consider is front vs. rear tire and also where the puncture is located.

Not a hope I would trust a plugged front tire, yes they are subjected to less stress but a catastrophic or sudden failure at any speed is best left to the imagination (think 80mph on a crowed freeway).

If the puncture occurs on or near the side wall, trusting a plug could be very dangerous.

jerdman89

wait... what goes here?
Reaction score
Visit site
I just cant bring myself to trust a plugged tire 100% I am going to plug it as a temporary fix though. I don't think there is much left of the riding season anyway so a new tire can wait til spring.