Is this rust on forks and horn a problem?

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Folks,
I was noticed a bit of rust on my bike around the forks and horn (see photos). Do you think it's a problem? Am I being too paranoid? How should I get rid of it? I was thinking of using WD-40 and a brillo pad.

Thanks for the help!

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
It's unlikely its the metal itself thats rusting(that would be bad) but if it wipes/brushes off easily then it's not a problem.

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's a fairly common occurrence on motorcycle forks. While I wouldn't sweat the horn, it's not a bad idea to take some very fine steel wool -- not sure how fine a brillo pad is -- and go over the surface of the slider. Don't get too agro, since you're not trying to remove material or polish them, you're just wanting to knock of the little bits of rust before they become big bits of rust. A little wd-40 is ok. I'm not sure if wd will/might have any effect on the fork seals, but I kinda doubt it. Just don't soak 'em and wipe off the excess when you're done -- and don't leave a bunch of short curlys from the steel wool on your seals either.

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
The forks should be stainless steel...odds are that clamp right there (looks like cast iron) is rusting...which still sucks because I would imagine that it shouldn't make contact there (it should have a seal for that).

I'm no bike mechanic but there should be fluid in the forks so keep an eye out for it leaking.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
The forks should be stainless steel...odds are that clamp right there (looks like cast iron) is rusting...which still sucks because I would imagine that it shouldn't make contact there (it should have a seal for that).

I'm no bike mechanic but there should be fluid in the forks so keep an eye out for it leaking.

Well that sucks monkey balls. :(
So you're saying that it's supposed to have the clamp+seal+fork, and the clamp never touches the fork?
I checked my downloaded service manual and it never shows a seal in between the clamp and fork in the diagrams.
I'll double check my bike tomorrow.

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
It can't be metal on metal on moving parts without something to make a seal...just thinking outloud...i dont know... you might want to check a more technical board with that particular issue. I've never worked on the forks and I don't have the specs for teh fz6 anymore either.
check under 'front fork' here:
Xtreme Powersports | Sea-Doo OEM Parts | Ski-Doo OEM Parts | Suzuki OEM Parts | Yamaha OEM Parts

it'll only be a problem if you start seeing fork fluid/oil.

btw, i got a horn from a fz6 if you want one...i can probably ups it to you for $6 or so (will need a zip code) or for free if you want to use your UPS account...but like others have said, ditch the oem horn. even other $20 horns are better than the road-runner 'meep-meep'. :)

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure where y'all are going with the discussion about metal-on-metal. The arrows that I added to this photo are pointing to some munge build-up around the lower fork clamp. While it kinda looks like rusty smegma, and there may be a little bit of rust in and amongst that wonderful collection, it's not something to freak out about. Spray it with wd, get a rag up, in, and around where the slider goes into the clamp and wipe it off.

As for where the fork goes through the fork clamp, there's not, and there's not supposed to be, any kind of "seal." The forks are held in the clamps, metal-to-metal. And guess what, over time it's entirely possible that very, very slight amounts of rust can accumulate under there. So very slight to the point of not being worth mentioning. No where near enough to even think about. What you'll typically see is a little band accumulating where that smeg is now.
<edit: on second thought, y'know, I've worked on a fair number of forks over the years. Where the fork goes through the clamps, it's such a complete metal-to-metal contact that I don't recall ever seeing anything that I'd call rust under there. Of course, I'm working on very few synapses at this point in my life, so there's that.../edit>

Now there are, and there are supposed to be, seals where the sliders go into the lowers. You can easily see those, they're black on our bikes. If those fail, you'll know because there will be oil leaking from them. There are seals there because, well, if there weren't it'd be a real bear to keep the oil where it should be and the forks would make a really nasty scraping sound as the two parts rubbed back and forth as you rode. And that would not be good.

So, if you really wanna get uber fussy and chase every last vestige of rust from your forks, you'll have to undo the clamp bolts and allow the fork sliders to move up or down to clean that stuff off. Personally, I wouldn't bother until I did a fork service.

As always, YMMV, standard disclaimers apply, not valid in the state of amnesia...

Last edited:

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure where y'all are going with the discussion about metal-on-metal. The arrows that I added to this photo are pointing to some munge build-up around the lower fork clamp. While it kinda looks like rusty smegma, and there may be a little bit of rust in and amongst that wonderful collection, it's not something to freak out about. Spray it with wd, get a rag up, in, and around where the slider goes into the clamp and wipe it off.

I'll go ahead and just clean it for now.
The previous owner of the bike got the extended warranty, so maybe I should take it to the dealership (or at least, call them) when the weather gets better?
I'll be on the look out any leaks....

Once again, thanks for all the replies!

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
there was a thread about a year ago that had a red rusty film that was accumulating on the bike while he was riding, I forget what it was, but is it possible that it is something foreign that is just getting stuck in those spots?

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
there was a thread about a year ago that had a red rusty film that was accumulating on the bike while he was riding, I forget what it was, but is it possible that it is something foreign that is just getting stuck in those spots?

I don't think it's something getting stuck.

To all those who recommended a stebel horn: yes they sound awesome, I saw some demos on youtube.

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's just muckus that gets flung up there as you ride. As you initially suggested, a quick spray and wipe with wd on an occasional basis will do the trick.

And I agree on the stebel. They're nice and loud. Though despite having one I still get dimwits merging into me with alarming regularity. It's just that now I get to wake 'em up with my horn! Sweetness...

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
I managed to clean the rust off with WD-40 and an old toothbrush. Most of it is gone now, and I'll get some steel wool for the rest later.

I also removed the rubber "stopper" behind the horn (I don't know what it's really called, see the photograph). There was a good amount of rust that came out. I freaked out and I scrubbed the hell out of it, and I will check up on that area periodically. Now that's its clean, it's not bad at all. I guess water forms in that area, and the rubber stopper traps it. Just FYI for anyone else out there....

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Uh...

It I am not mistaken that Is the seal that keeps moisure from going up inside the head tube. I am away from the bike right, so I cant go an look at mine. But you might want to put that back...

-bryan

W

wrightme43

The lower fork clamp is cast iron and the fork tubes are chromed steel. No seals there man. Just metal to metal contact to hold them tight. The fork seals never go up that high. If you want to know just exactly how high they go, wrap a tie strap around each fork, cut off the extra and slide them down to the fork seals. It will slide up and stop where the fork bottoms out its travel while you ride.

When you change your fork oil, just wire brush the area inside the lower clamp and clean it all up before you put it back together.