Is this going to be a problem...?

Squiz

Reaction score
Visit site
During my handlebar install over the weekend, I took off my air box/battery to maneuver wires around the battery casing to clean up the front end a bit. While in there with all this exposed, I noticed two things that may be an issue and I wanted the eyes/feedback of others.
1. Noticed a broken piece of the frame, but it seems weak and insignificant
2. Noticed a rubbery type material inside one of my cylinders

Pics in order of issue:

Thoughts…?:confused:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Is it your frame that's broken or the casting on your throttle body? Looks like a damaged throttle body. The wire tie looks like it was put there to hold the casting. I would look for a new throttle body. Also carefully inspect the entire bike.

Squiz

Reaction score
Visit site
I believe it's the casting on the TB. The part seemed extremely weak when I found it as if a part that would/could break easy. I applied pressure around the area, tugged and pulled around a bit...it seems VERY solid.

I just need a more professional eye.

The rest of the bike looks great.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
The gunk is probably some kind of RTV sealant that was on the mechanic's finger while he was working on the throttle body.

The throttle body isn't a structurally important piece, but I'd be real skeptical over the rest of the bike. I'd personally run through it with a fine toothed comb.

Squiz

Reaction score
Visit site
The gunk is probably some kind of RTV sealant that was on the mechanic's finger while he was working on the throttle body.

The throttle body isn't a structurally important piece, but I'd be real skeptical over the rest of the bike. I'd personally run through it with a fine toothed comb.

Thanks! I took apart the entire tail section, headlight assembly, tank, air box, clutch & battery console to inspect it all. All clips were functional and nothing struck me as being odd these these two did. Where else would you suggest I explore?

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Personally, I'd stop just short of taking the bike down to full parade rest to check everything. (Military slang for all the major assemblies separated.) It would worry me. "What else did this shoddy mechanic take apart that day? He was obviously working on the engine."

My guess, the throttle body was dropped while they were doing a valve adjustment or the like and they felt it was "okay" to just shove the throttle body back in there with a zip tie. If they had so low a work ethic on that, what else did they screw with in the engine?

But I'm anal retentive about stuff like that. Probably why I do 99% of my own work.

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
To be honest, this would worry me. It looks as if someone over-tightened the connecting bolt that holds the two "halves" of the throttle body together. A few things I would question:
1: Why did they have this apart in the first place?
2: Why was the bolt over-torqued (loaded-question really; I would say that they did not have the correct tools which leads me to believe that they were not a certified/experienced mechanic).
3: What is the Tie-Wrap holding together?
4: Where were they applying that RTV/Silicone looking material???

My 0.02$

*+1 to above! :)

Last edited:

Squiz

Reaction score
Visit site
Prior to my purchase, the bike was dropped in the garage and then converted naked due to the high expense of yamaha factory fairings. My first thought, this piece broke during the tip then discovered when the naked conversion started.

I tore the bike down to the airbox and inspected everything just under the skin including all electrical work and fuses. All looked great.

This is a fairly new discover for me and I'm not too happy with it, but it doesn't seem to be a game changer. I do agree that I need to explore the entire bike as best to my ability. I also didn't notice the RTV material anywhere else.

The zip tie, do you think I should remove it...it doesn't seem to be under a lot of pressure. If you look at the second pic, the top connector near the zip tie is still in tact and functional.

Thanks for all the good feedback, I'm certainly on high alert. Code Red.

tjhess74

boo-yah!
Reaction score
Visit site
that stuff in your throttle body looks like jb weld...i suppose its not since you said its rubbery. i would remove it by scraping it off and seeing what damage its covering or if its just excess. use a vacuum to suck up pieces as they are removed.

if the tb's are solid i would leave them alone, but remember, that zip tie wont last forever. begin your tb search early to prevent having to pay too much in a time of need.

EDIT: after reviewing the pics, im not convinced the zip tie is holding the two halves together. not sure whats it purpose is...

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's what it looks like to me.
On the second pic with the throttle body. Where you see what looks like the fuel rail. The cast bracket attaches as one piece to the throttle body. It looks as if the casting broke and where it attached to the outside of the throttle body, it probably fractured and created a hole and a leak. They may have JB Welded the outside of it and then wiped RTV compound on the interior of the TB.
The wire tie was probably to hold it in place as it all set up. I would think you'd have to be pretty harsh to break that piece.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
looks like someone was in with a pry bar or a really BIG screw driver trying to get the throttle body off. and like Cliff said they glued it back together....this could cause the throttle blade to get jammed open if some of that falls down in there while your riding...... you need to replace the assembly.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
looks like someone was in with a pry bar or a really BIG screw driver trying to get the throttle body off. and like Cliff said they glued it back together....this could cause the throttle blade to get jammed open if some of that falls down in there while your riding...... you need to replace the assembly.

+1 on the above.

I'd bet if you scrapped off that silicone (or what ever it is) there's a crack in the throttle body. If that tie wrap melts/fails when underway, its your life if the throttle sticks.

Also, if it leaks, it can also cause the cylinder to run lean/suck crap in and shorten the life of the engine as well...

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Any reason to believe the engine was ever pulled? Do the SN# match?

Look over all the large fasteners holding the engine in. Do they look to have been moved more than once or show any rounded corners, wrench slips, or busted clips holding harnesses together?

Gas and silicon don't mix. Each time you turn the engine off, burned and unburned gases come through the open intake valves and hang out under the throttle plates sifting upwards into the air-box. Over time that stuff will come loose and fall inside. Best case is goes clean through and plugs your catalytic converter. Worst case is stuck throttle. Find a new T/B!
Silicon kills catalytic converters!

Squiz

Reaction score
Visit site
No hint or indication the engine was ever removed, but I will be going through everything with a fine tooth comb on Saturday. I also plan to remove the material inside the TB & the zip tie. I’ll snap a few more shots (close ups) and follow-up with more questions/findings after this weekend.

Check this out...is this a sign?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FZ6-...0137064QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
No hint or indication the engine was ever removed, but I will be going through everything with a fine tooth comb on Saturday. I also plan to remove the material inside the TB & the zip tie. I’ll snap a few more shots (close ups) and follow-up with more questions/findings after this weekend.

Check this out...is this a sign?
FZ6 throttle bodies injectors 04 05 2004 FZ 600 R6 fuel | eBay

That is a great deal just for the casting! Looking at all the clues leading up to your throttle body I'm betting it's cracked...

Squiz

Reaction score
Visit site
That is a great deal just for the casting! Looking at all the clues leading up to your throttle body I'm betting it's cracked...

That would pretty much solve it right there? I don't think I need anything more than just the casting. What do you think...do you know something about this portion of the engine I don't...I'm fairly new to this?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That would pretty much solve it right there? I don't think I need anything more than just the casting. What do you think...do you know something about this portion of the engine I don't...I'm fairly new to this?

If you were to by just the TB casting alone from Yamamomma I bet it would cost more tha that whole Fleabay piece. The only thing I know is you have RTV in the section of the TB that the casting bracket attaches to and a wire tie that has no other seeming purpose than to bind...:confused::rolleyes:

Last edited:

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
Prior to my purchase, the bike was dropped in the garage and then converted naked due to the high expense of yamaha factory fairings. My first thought, this piece broke during the tip then discovered when the naked conversion started.

A simple drop in the garage would not normally require the scrapping of the plastic fairing pieces so that is a flag for me. I think the damage occured prior to it being converted due to road damage. Do you know who the previous owner is, can you talk to him and try to find out what really happened?

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
A simple drop in the garage would not normally require the scrapping of the plastic fairing pieces so that is a flag for me. I think the damage occured prior to it being converted due to road damage. Do you know who the previous owner is, can you talk to him and try to find out what really happened?

+1 on this good luck