Is this a feature or a bug?

mdr

Reaction score
Visit site
On other bikes I own I can restart them if stalled while in first gear by clutching and pressing the starter. On the FZ6 nothing happens until I put it in neutral. Do you like this "feature"? Is there a way to bypass it without major surgery?

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
IMO, you have an electrical issue, I have no problem pulling the clutch and starting it...

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Check the wires from the safety switch at the clutch... follow them and unplug then replug them. This is a known loose connection and sometimes not even connected at the dealer. ;)

mdr

Reaction score
Visit site
Check the wires from the safety switch at the clutch... follow them and unplug then replug them. This is a known loose connection and sometimes not even connected at the dealer. ;)

Wow. All along I thought this was just a rare bad design choice by Yamaha. I'll check it out in the AM.

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
On other bikes I own I can restart them if stalled while in first gear by clutching and pressing the starter. On the FZ6 nothing happens until I put it in neutral. Do you like this "feature"? Is there a way to bypass it without major surgery?

There is a switch in the clutch mounting that closes when the clutch lever is pulled in. Apparently yours is not making contact or is stuck open. This would cause you to have to put the bike in nuetral to engage the starter.

Lewis

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow. All along I thought this was just a rare bad design choice by Yamaha. I'll check it out in the AM.

What, the am, go out there now with your flashlight;) wheres the dedication man...

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There is a switch in the clutch mounting that closes when the clutch lever is pulled in. Apparently yours is not making contact or is stuck open. This would cause you to have to put the bike in nuetral to engage the starter.

Lewis

Since his has been this way from day one, I'm guessing the dealer never plugged it in properly. We've had quite a few people here that this happened to. ;)

As oldfast007 said, go check it now, then test ride it..... until the wee hours of the morning at least! :thumbup:

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When I bought my bike I read the manual several times and remembered the bike was suppose to be able to start while in gear also. When I first got the bike I let the salesman load the bike for me and strap it down. I had never even been on a bike before. When I got it home mine would not start while in gear either. I read the manual and seen there was a plug under the left handle bar on the clutch side. That plug is what enables the safety sensor for the kick stand. Mine was unpluged from the straps the salesman put on the handle bars to secure the bike during transport. Any how See my pic for the location of the plug. Check it make sure its plugged in and secure.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Yup, same thing happened to me. At first, I COULD start with the clutch pulled in while I was in gear. One day, it no longer worked. Culprit: the connection on the left side handlebar near clutch lever. Dealer didn't fully snap the electrical plug in.

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It won`t start in gear with the sidestand down..is that the problem??

Steve
Yes thats with that plug messed up or just unplugged the bike is thinking the kick stand is down. Just like a lawn mower that want start or will cut off if you get off the seat.
What happens if you start the bike in neutral and then put the bike in gear? Does it cut off or run?

mdr

Reaction score
Visit site
It won`t start in gear with the sidestand down..is that the problem??

Steve

negative - I first encountered it about a month ago when I was trying to take off from a stop at the bottom of a pretty steep hill in Richmond and found myself in 2nd gear by mistake. BOG - STALL. While traffic behind me is giving me the horn and starting to go around me I clutch and press the starter - nothing. SO I do the "let's find neutral" dance and everything starts ok - no harm done (well with possible exception of bruised ego). If I hadn't been at the bottom of the hill the second gear takeoff would have been only a tiny bit embarrassing :D.

mdr

Reaction score
Visit site
The switch was totally unplugged. WTF! I got the bike from a dealer that sells thousands of bikes a year so I don't think there's any way this was an accidental oversight. I even tried to unplug it again and it's damn hard to do. Why would they unplug this connection?

PS: Thanks to all who helped solve the problem. Much appreciated.

PlasticPig

Reaction score
Visit site
It seems like this is a common problem, perhaps the preparation manual that the dealers are supplied with doesn't tell them to make this connection.

Mine was the same util I decided to try and find the problem, not plugged in.

hot4teach

Reaction score
Visit site
They wouldn't unplug it. The dealer has to finish assembly of the motorcycle when they get it out of the crate.

It sounds like many dealerships have overlooked this plug. Mine was unplugged also.

The switch was totally unplugged. WTF! I got the bike from a dealer that sells thousands of bikes a year so I don't think there's any way this was an accidental oversight. I even tried to unplug it again and it's damn hard to do. Why would they unplug this connection?

PS: Thanks to all who helped solve the problem. Much appreciated.