Is there a "Valve check/adjustment" how-to write up on here?

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
Just what the title says... Has anybody made a how-to for valve check/adjustment? I've searched and searched but have come up empty.

I have the official repair manual which does provide good detail, but a good step by step with actual pictures would be really nice. I'm comfortable working on my bike, but this job has me a bit nervous.

Thanks!

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Be sure to get yourself new oil seals (valve cover gasket) before taking off that cover!

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
I have 32K miles on my 2006. I know that I'm overdue for the check. I've justified putting it off because most people say that they didn't need to adjust them when they checked at each interval.

Should I skip buying a valve lapper and shims (or "pads") until I crack it open?

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
Yes, until you check you won't know what size shims you'll need.

Although the valve cover gasket may be reusable, I'd still replace it - too much trouble to replace if it does end up leaking.

Dresnewtoy

Reaction score
Visit site
Are you at the mileage that you need to do it now? It would be nice to leave it for winter (if you have winter where you are) so you can get all the things you need as you go along without a big hurry and take the time to do it right.

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
Are you at the mileage that you need to do it now? It would be nice to leave it for winter (if you have winter where you are) so you can get all the things you need as you go along without a big hurry and take the time to do it right.

I'm over the mileage for it. We have a fairly mild winter and I never park the bike for more than a couple days.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a shim kit for $75, only used 3 shims and I really needed more of that same size.
If you can go with your bike apart for a little bit, find out what you need then buy them individually.

Replacing the valve cover is a HUGE PAIN IN THE ASS. I ended up reusing my old one and it took me over an hour to get it situated correctly without moving around. Hasn't leaked yet-knock on wood.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Here you go... I did that a little while ago when I did my cam swap (FZ6). Can't be that different. Have fun...

FZ6R Valve Adjustment - Yamaha FZ6R Forums - International FZ6R / XJ6
Motorcycle Community Forum

If all you need to do is check them out... that's the easy part. Adjusting them is not that much harder... just need to take your time. You need to remove the cams and the lifter to change the shim. As long as you line up all the timing mark (3... 2 cams and 1 crank) you will be alright.

Yep, the boys are right. Valve cover gasket and I will suggest you the side cover too (RH) because you need to remove the cover to line up the crank/timing mark. But you need to remove the side cover only if you need to adjust the valve. Other thing too. In order to remove the cams you need to remove the chain tensioner. If you have the hydrolic one, don't forget to crank it back in... (don't ask!)

Last edited:

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
What is the average cost one can expect if you have a Yamaha dealer perform the inspection ?

Ed

Few hundreds I heard. And that's when they really do the job. One smart member on our forum did make some paint mark... when he went to get his bike and pay the bill, the paint mark were not even broken!!! They end up redoing it and he stay right next to the technician... :Flip:

It is a quite expensive thing to get done... and even more if they need adjustment!

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Instead of paying a dealer/shop, I did the work myself.

For about $500, I not only adjusted my valves, but replaced the cam chain, tensioner, guides, and a brand new complete clutch.

It was a great learning experience and although frustrating at times, I think everybody should know how to work on their vehicles.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I paid about $700 but it was primarily to get my damn bike fixed. The cost included a new Cam Chain, Guides, Sprockets and a new set of plugs plus they checked and adjusted my valves at the sametime