New-to-Me Bike, No Tools. What Do I Need?

grbl

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi folks, I just picked up a 2004 FZ6 over the weekend and I'd love to know what you guys n gals have found you need for home maintenance. Everything is out of adjustment, none of the fluids are at the correct level. I want to change all the fluids, lube everything, and bring everything into adjustment. Problem is, I'm pretty much starting from scratch for tools. What all do I need to complete all the DIYable maintenance? I doubt the underseat kit is complete. The bike's nearing 30k miles and has probably never had valve clearance or spark plugs done, I may not attempt any tank-off stuff right away but I'd like to know what I'll need for that too. I've looked at some posts and videos, but it's hard to tell exactly what I need and I don't want to spent as much time going back and forth to the hardware store as I do working :confused:

So far I've downloaded the service manual and bought motor oil, oil filter, premix antifreeze, distilled water, catch pan, and funnel. Which sockets and hex key sizes are used? Any particular sizes of screwdrivers in terms of length, blade, etc. (special japanese-style tips?)? Do I need both sockets and crescent wrenches? How much brake fluid do I need to redo both front and rear? If it were complete, would the toolkit have all the tools needed?

Thanks in advance :D

dschult2

Reaction score
Visit site
First, let me say welcome to the forum! Second, wow, that is a lot of questions! I won't try answer them all but I'm sure others will chime in as well. Keep in mind the bike is metric. I would recommend just getting sets of tools. That is cheaper than buying each individually. I would get full sets of each - deep and standard depth 6 point sockets, wrenches, both socket and open ended, T-handle hex keys, flat and phillip head screwdriver, breaker bar, and a set of extensions. Also a set of nut drivers would come in handy but not essential. You really should have a torque wrench but that could be something you may be able to borrow from a friend. The spark plug tool that comes in your kit will be able to be used to change the spark plugs. These should get you started and get most of the maintenance done. This forum is a wealth of knowledge and the people on it have helped me tremendously in the past when I had my FZ6. Good luck!

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
If you're planning on doing all the fluids and adjustments I'd recommend getting some specific tools for working on the brakes and potentially syncing the throttle bodies.

The bike is Japanese so metric fittings everywhere unless the previous owner had to replace something and used the wrong fittings
-a full set of hex keys, if you want to remove the front axle you'll need a 19 mm, I used to craft one using a spark plug socket but broke down and bought a real one
I also like the round ended ones for doing up things in tight spaces.

-8,10,12,14 mm sockets are the most common I use, I'd recommend getting a socket extension too for reaching into small places. I like having both 1/2" and 3/8" drive, that way I can use 2 at once if needed and sometimes the 1/2" is hard to fit into places

-crescent wrenches in the same sizes are helpful as well

-a speed bleeder tool, or at least a length of rubber hose for bleeding the brakes ( I assume you know the process) I usually just buy like a 500 ml container of brake fluid (DOT4) and its enough to flush out the old and fill with all new (if you're experienced and not wasting it from making mistake, which I've definitely done)

-build or buy a manometer (lots of threads on this) to sync the throttle bodies

-A torque wrench (2 would be best 3/8" and 1/2" because of the range of torques and a torque wrench is most precise at the upper range of its torque rating) Consider this an investment in both your toolkit and bike, you can prevent over-torquing or under torquing related damage on the bike.

-A piece of 4x4 large enough that when stuck under the headers it gets the front wheel off the ground (when also on the center stand). This can also be achieved with a car jack.

-An oil filter socket (basically large socket that fits over you can stick a ratchet in) saves a lot of hassle and prevents over tightening

theoretically if the toolkit is complete it would have everything you'd need, but there's a difference between doing preventative maintenance with real tools and doing it with the tool kit (I like to think of the toolkit as being there for emergency only). This is all I can think of for now, but I've only had half my coffee!

Also don't be afraid to lift the tank! There's only 2 bolts holding it down, so you can then pivot it up (with seat off) and then just one more to take it off completely. The battery and air filter hide under there, both of which should be checked out.

Don't be afraid to use the search function, or send me a PM if you've got any specific questions!

FUHL

Reaction score
Visit site
If you bought premix antifreeze, then you don't need distilled water. If you add the water the ratio will be off.

This by far is my favorite tool. I have had it for over 20 years. http://toolmonger.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/post-snaponswivel.jpg I love the swivel head, makes for a great all around tool. Many manufactures now make one. I think I paid over $200 when I bought it new. Now you can get them in the $20 to $100 range from other makes such as Craftsman or Kobalt.
With that said, don't go cheap on tools. buy good name brand. Harbor Freight is a great store for certain Items, but beware of some of the cheaper tools.

Last edited:

grbl

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the kind replies, all. That's a super-detailed list erburtt, thanks! FUHL, the distilled water is just to flush the system. I'm assuming it's pretty gunked up in there, the tiny bit in the coolant reservoir is pretty dark. I'm gonna go get some tools tomorrow and spend some quality time getting to know my new toy!

grbl

Reaction score
Visit site
There were a lot of little aluminum sparkles in the coolant. Is it realistic to think this is the first time the coolant's been changed? (2004 with 30k miles) Searching, it looks like aluminum bits in the coolant are normal enough at the first coolant change. None in the oil, at least.