Ideas on how to clean out a nasty fork

bpchura

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone.

After working on getting my front axle unstuck for about a month, I can finally begin working on what I originally wanted to do before I came to an immediate halt when I couldn't get the axle off.

So anyways, I wanted to change the fork fluid on my bike. It has 25000 miles on it and to the best of my knowledge, it has NEVER been done. So I got some 10wt Maxima oil (10wt is supposed to minimize dive during braking). When I open it up I'm sure its going to be nasty and I was wondering if anyone had ideas of how to clean it out. Ive rebuilt a few forks but since the seals are good, I was just going to change the oil. I can obviously clean the spring off with a rag but ideas for cleaning out the inner tube? Don't want to use anything that would break down the seals or contaminate the oil and I dont want to order in more fork fluid to flush it.

Thanks!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This is what I did W/O dis-assembling the forks, just springs, etc. Pay attention to the coil arrangement(tighter coils at the top) too.

I was told brake cleaner won't hurt anything. Just pump it a bunch and drain. Mine smelled pretty bad with 18,000 miles on them.

Now I didn't use brake cleaner but bought another cheaper bottle of folk oil and used that. Same procedure, let it drain fully, put some oil in, pump a bunch, then let drain fully upside down...

I also found from the factory, slightly different amounts of oil in each leg...

When re-assembling, I filled, pumped, made sure each leg was full(no sir in the lower legs) at the appropriate level. I marked a screwdriver with the compressed length and evened up both forks. Very, very accurate...

Note, there was a definite difference at the end of the travel before and after once nice and clean. I used 7.5 wt but would go with 10wt the next time...

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Agree on both accounts ^^^... Don't dillute with another product although IIRC FSM says kerosene! Sorry, but NO!

Id buy another bottle and do as Scott said. Cap on, spring out and actuate fork a lot. Dump. Repeat about 3X each.

You might overfill (increase fluid volume/decrease measured depth by 20/30mm) to reduce nose dive.
Up to you. It just builds air pressure sooner decreasing nose dive.

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
Nothing wrong with dish soap and water. Use a hose and squirt it at the crud on the bottom. The only draw back you have to let the water evaporate which could take a day or two.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't see soap and water breaking down an oil (even as thin as it is) very well. That first, then maybe cheap fork oil.

I'd be afraid of residual water turning your new fork oil grey (not good)

I just used up all of the cheap extra can bought. It was spotless clean after that...

bpchura

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the help guys. I will most likely get a can of brake cleaner and go to town with that. I would use some fork oil but this small town only has one bike shop and its all expensive stuff.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Less beer this week and more fork oil? :don'tknow::don'tknow::don'tknow: