Ignition Lock / Switch broken by thieves

rock21586

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All,
So today I wanted to take my bike off to store and went to my parking. I saw that my switch has become big. Then figured out some one tried to steal my bike from my garage. I will post the pic later. Is there a way I can replace the switch?
Where can I get a new switch for my 2005 FZ6.

Update pic
IMG_20160520_154849.jpg

So filed a report, and police said that person must have tried to just hammer it with screw driver. It their any recovery method to that.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes you can replace the switch. To unplug the wiring, the plug is located under the battery(so access under there).

For the switch itself, you have to pull the handle bars, controls, set the bike on the center-stand with a scissor jack (or other) under the header,

Lift under the header to get the load off the front wheel. Remove the top triple clamp, flip it over and re-attach to the forks (just to hold it.

You'll see two "security bolts" holding on the switch. Carefully drill the heads off and slide the switch up and off.
You can now take the drilled bolts out with a vise grip.

You can buy a new switch and security bolts from Yamaha, Partzilla, etc.

As for re-keying, a locksmith may be able to help or see below link....

.Part 29 is the switch and the bolts, part 31:
Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2005 FZ6 - FZS6T ELECTRICAL 2 Diagram

If you can open, post #25 for re-keying the new switch and it is do-able...
http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//inde...all-ignition-switch-whats-new-about-it/page-2

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
No need to support anything the lower triple can do that. Hopefully your key allows you to unlock it as the job near impossible with the bars locked in place.

Another option is this. Once triple is free, switch removed, the lock is a separate unboltable item from the switch.
Replace the lock with used one from fleebay...

I had the triple off to powder coat it. Flipping it and securing to the left fork tube makes drilling the bolts a lot easier...

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes. Where is it gonna go? Lower trip does most the work anyway and the bike will be more stable for drilling.

From the past... I left the contols on the bars.
IMG_20130309_152755_697.jpg
IMG_20130309_151307_436.jpgIMG_20130309_150838_616.jpg

Also there is a very strong magnet inside the paper sack to collect the metal chips. Worked great.

Last edited: