Ice Skates, help

thirty_too

FZ6 Junkie
Reaction score
Visit site
ok i need to/ want to buy a pair of hockey ice skates for recreational purposes because i doctor said its better for my knee than running.... anyways.. i know how to ice skate but im tired of renting them and kinda wigged out about putting my foot in rentals... so my question is to you all... who makes a good skate for a decent price? blades, what is the difference on the type of blade and what should i look for?

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Keira got some for me for my birthday one year and we got a smokin deal at the local indoor rink's pro shop because they were having a 50-80% off sale. Got some name brand ones that were really comfy for less than $100. I think they were $85ish, but don't remember.

Check them out and find out when they are having their liquidation sale

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had my share of tooth tips too... You're not alone. I eventually cheated and ground them off... Haven't skated in forever and a half... Last time was like 15years old... 5 years flew by...

CdnMedic

Reaction score
Visit site
CCM are good skates for the price.
I have a set of Nike skates that are my faves yet!
Bauer is great as well... Don't bother with the fairy skates, we kind of laugh at guys with them on around here...

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
I second the vote for CCM's. I think I paid $150 for my last pair, but you can usually find them on the cheap end of the scale for between $50-$80.

thirty_too

FZ6 Junkie
Reaction score
Visit site
I second the vote for CCM's. I think I paid $150 for my last pair, but you can usually find them on the cheap end of the scale for between $50-$80.

ya see thats what im curious about... what is the difference between the 150 ones and say the 50-80 dollar ones? is there that much of a difference?

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
ya see thats what im curious about... what is the difference between the 150 ones and say the 50-80 dollar ones? is there that much of a difference?

short answer - protection and comfort. I'd recommend finding a local hockey shop (do they even have those in SC?:D) and try to buy last year's version of a mid-level model. You should be able to save a good chunk of cash that way, get something that's built well enough to last and be comfy after break-in. Note, if it's been a while since you've had new skates, the break-in can be annoying - I like to warm mine up and sit in them at home for a few hours before I skate the first time.

cashcrzzy

Meandering Member
Reaction score
www.fz6-forum.com
were you renting hockey skates or figure skates ???? if you were renting figure skates you may want to stick with them. the figure skate has a softer boot than the hockey skate ,The figure skate also has a straight blade . The hockey skates have hard boots and curved blades . If you are buying hockey skates you should get fitted by a skate shop .not dicks sports or sports authority .. I have always skated with figure skates since I was a kid and A few weeks ago I changed to a hockey skate "pro shop told me not to because of my skate style" .My azz ,back ,and head are not liking that choice I am back to figure skates .I tend to lean back when I skate and with the curved blade on the hockey skate you cant do that You will bust your azz and head .. If you had been used to non aggressive skating take my advice and stay with the figure skate . Talk to a pro shop they will set you straight .;)
Greg A.

thirty_too

FZ6 Junkie
Reaction score
Visit site
ya ive rented hockey skates ever since i kept face planting from the front teeth on figure skates... but i know what ur saying... makes total sense.. thanks for ur .02:thumbup:

FZ6er_FSR

Reaction score
Visit site
For Hockey Skates, check out the ""Vapor Series" from Bauer. If you shop around, you'll get a good deal on discontinuing models. Anything that is currently on their website is usually expensive.

Bauer Vapors are considered mid range so you'll get a good quality at a reasonable price.

If you're having balancing issues, skate with a hockey stick and puck if the rink allows it. You end up being a better skater if your mind is on chasing the puck. You may even try different skating techniques without thinking.

:thumbup:

kellybt1052

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on this!! Play hockey and skied most of life ans still play about 3 days a week. Ski boots and Ice skates are quite similar with regard to fitting and the best bet is to hit a real shop and spend a little more to get them fit right. Each Mfg has a little different type of fit and a shop will be able to point you to a the brand that fits your foot shape best. The'll last, be comfortable and allow you to enjoy skating. You should'nt need to spend more than about 150 for a decent mid level skate. Many are now actually "baked" for a short time while your in the shop to assist in break in but never hurts to wear them around at home as well for the first.

short answer - protection and comfort. I'd recommend finding a local hockey shop (do they even have those in SC?:D) and try to buy last year's version of a mid-level model. You should be able to save a good chunk of cash that way, get something that's built well enough to last and be comfy after break-in. Note, if it's been a while since you've had new skates, the break-in can be annoying - I like to warm mine up and sit in them at home for a few hours before I skate the first time.

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
aw, come on....I thought only real men played hockey! As soon as you buy a pair take them for a spin, they aren't broken in until your feet are bleeding. After a few runs like that you'll have nickle sized scars over your achille's tendon and your feet will be tough enough to walk on broken beer bottles. After that, kill a moose with your bare hands and the b!tches will be all over you!

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
About 15 years ago (time flies) I skated on Bauers. Those were pretty much top of the line. Apparently they how teamed up with Nike now.

Check the Bauers out...
Nike Bauer

mellofelow

Reaction score
Visit site

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
aw, come on....I thought only real men played hockey! As soon as you buy a pair take them for a spin, they aren't broken in until your feet are bleeding. After a few runs like that you'll have nickle sized scars over your achille's tendon and your feet will be tough enough to walk on broken beer bottles. After that, kill a moose with your bare hands and the b!tches will be all over you!

Now, now - we all know the only hockey scars that count are on the face. Why waste an opportunity to get one wondering why your feet are so sore.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on this!! Play hockey and skied most of life ans still play about 3 days a week. Ski boots and Ice skates are quite similar with regard to fitting and the best bet is to hit a real shop and spend a little more to get them fit right. Each Mfg has a little different type of fit and a shop will be able to point you to a the brand that fits your foot shape best. The'll last, be comfortable and allow you to enjoy skating. You should'nt need to spend more than about 150 for a decent mid level skate. Many are now actually "baked" for a short time while your in the shop to assist in break in but never hurts to wear them around at home as well for the first.

You took the words out of my mouth. While not a skater, a side from taking the Cubs Scouts out, I've skied since age 5 and boots are the most important part of your gear.

As others have said go to a good shop to be fitted by a pro. You don't need the best boot...er...skate, but if you get the perfect fit your feet, knees, hips and back will be happy and you'll have more fun.

Reaction score
Visit site
ok i need to/ want to buy a pair of hockey ice skates for recreational purposes because i doctor said its better for my knee than running.... anyways.. i know how to ice skate but im tired of renting them and kinda wigged out about putting my foot in rentals... so my question is to you all... who makes a good skate for a decent price? blades, what is the difference on the type of blade and what should i look for?

Bauer/nike or Mission are the best to buy. They offer many different skates for different levels. You should be able to buy a really good skate that will fit you good for around $150