I will have to ad this to things i probably shouldn't have done

(none)

Not even here
Reaction score
Visit site
Rode the bike to work today. Its been a crappy winter here in Ohio, and the FZ6 has been apart most of it getting some new (to it) goodies. I just got it back together last week (although i am still working on the R6s front fender), and i have been itching to ride. The ~30 mile commute wasn't bad, except for it being 11F out and my faceshield icing up... I didn't see that one coming.

P1010952.jpg

P1010953.jpg

The FZ6 did just fine though
P1010954.jpg

scottsst

Reaction score
Visit site
you need one of these helmets for riding in that kind of weather !
OK maybe it's a little over kill the guy in the picture is rideing the ICE roads in northern Canada at -40c on a Ural two wheel drive Trike

paulmondor.jpg

knightrider

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow that is cold! You are a very brave person. I couldn't go lower than 30 F before it was too much for me.

That last helmet looks like Darth Vader!

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow. I was out last night and it was about 8F (I think the wind chill was just really bad). It was too much for a heated gloves and my fingertips hurt; I only went 10 miles and it was the worst ride ever in cold. I think it was the wind chill that did it. It was on my Vstar with big fairing and it would've been worse on the FZ6.

Even without a pinlock, my visors have never frosted like that. Last night I wore the pinlock setup and it was ok.

Even today at about 25F and sunny on my FZ6 (about 50 mile ride), I used my tinted visor with no pinlock. I cracked open the shield a little if it fogged. It had nothing like that frost.

Even with my pinlock and when it's working, it can get cold enough that I don't get fog on the inside -- but I get condensation -- enough that if it drips, it freezes on the tank. But I still get no frost.

I wonder if you need to clean your visor and apply something slippery; I use Lemon Pledge.

Either way at 11F, I bet you had one heck of a wind chill going and I'm not sure how you could see out of that helmet and I think you need to add a defroster to it :D.

Dennis

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
yes. Thought it was just fogging up at first, guess the condensation froze pretty quickly

That's when I wear some sort of glasses inside the helmet and crack the visor open to keep the air moving. If you wear a neck gator to seal the gap at the bottom of the helmet, you won't get frozen eyeballs running with the visor open.

(none)

Not even here
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow. I was out last night and it was about 8F (I think the wind chill was just really bad). It was too much for a heated gloves and my fingertips hurt; I only went 10 miles and it was the worst ride ever in cold. I think it was the wind chill that did it. It was on my Vstar with big fairing and it would've been worse on the FZ6.

Even without a pinlock, my visors have never frosted like that. Last night I wore the pinlock setup and it was ok.

Even today at about 25F and sunny on my FZ6 (about 50 mile ride), I used my tinted visor with no pinlock. I cracked open the shield a little if it fogged. It had nothing like that frost.

Even with my pinlock and when it's working, it can get cold enough that I don't get fog on the inside -- but I get condensation -- enough that if it drips, it freezes on the tank. But I still get no frost.

I wonder if you need to clean your visor and apply something slippery; I use Lemon Pledge.

Either way at 11F, I bet you had one heck of a wind chill going and I'm not sure how you could see out of that helmet and I think you need to add a defroster to it :D.

Dennis

Yeah, i was on the highway for about 25 miles, that's what probably did it. I've ridden in mid teens during the day time and have never had frost form before.

BTW, handlebar mits are the way to go. My hand were pretty much fine with my thin alpinstar gloves and the heated grips on low inside the mitts.

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
... BTW, handlebar mits are the way to go. My hand were pretty much fine with my thin alpinstar gloves and the heated grips on low inside the mitts.

Hm... sounds like something to try -- if I can get over the look. I was going to someday try the liners (or maybe surgical gloves under my Winter gloves).

Dennis

pottie

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
was it fog freeze if is from outside..I heard fog can made those happen...

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
WOW! I've ridden hundreds of miles in the teens and never had that happen before. Maybe some sunlight would have helped the situation... :thumbup: