I ride faster two-up, what?

jmerch44

Reaction score
Visit site
So last summer, me and my buddy did a good amount law breaking in the twisties, where I got pretty good. But this year, he got considerably faster than me. I have been trying to figure out how he became so much faster, and left me behind,when I ride twice as much as he does. at first I attributed his advancement to the fact that he rides a gixxer 600, the handling is far more superior to the FZ6. So we went back to the mountains where I convinced myself that death would happen sooner or later, so I might as well push harder and try to keep up and go out in style ( with a knee down). So I managed to keep up with him, but with plenty of Oh **** moments.

Last SAT. Myself, Jazzpaintball, and a few other riders went for a ride to mt Rainier. The ride was fun but I couldnt wait to hit hwy 7, thats my play ground. I was riding 2-up with my wife who is more of a psycho than me considering shes willing to get on the back with me. I had absolutely no problem keeping up with everyone, in fact I led the way for some of it. When we hit hwy 7, I waved on of the riders ahead of me because I didnt want to spoil his fun, He was on an R6. When the twisties started, this guy could not lose me for anything. I was perfect with the throttle, breaking, and lines. While we were going I noticed that the bike felt incredibly stable and planted, especially in turns. Now, I know everyone complains about the suspension of the FZ, and I know its soft, But are we complaining about the Wrong aspects of the suspension? is it really that bad?

Yesterday I went back down hwy7 by myself looking for trouble, when I got there, I noticed that I wasnt nearly as fast as I was with my wife on the back. The bike felt squirly and nowhere near as planted. Now and only now am I considering a bigger bike, I feel like this is a really good reason to get a bigger bike because I might be better on a liter bike than a 600. the heaviness might be a preference thing, I think heavy is better for some.

Also, to be completely fair, I do a ton of two up riding, thinking back, I wonder if I'm beter two up because I ride two up so much. but the bike should handle better (theoretically) when theres only one person on it. is there a misunderstanding here? or is this just a case of wrong bike for the rider? (btw, I love my Sexy Red faster than blue FZ6):rockon:

YamaSpeed

Dartmouth Ambassador
Reaction score
Visit site
I know what you mean when you say the bike feels more planted with two up. This makes me think about the rear suspension and maybe doing some adjustments or perhaps replacing it all together with something fully adjustable.

sideshow_downs

Finally Summer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Your read preload may be too high when you are riding by yourself. Two up with more weight the suspension would compress more with the weight going into the turnsand bemore stable. I may try lowering the preload when you ride alone and the suspension should compress better and give better feedback and follow the road better. just my $0.02

jmerch44

Reaction score
Visit site
Perhaps the extra weight smooths out your "perfect" inputs.

:D

Sounds like you need a little bit of a reality check. Maybe a track day? I say this with love....:thumbup:

LOL :rof:. you're absolutely right, and if I could afford it, I would love to be embarrassed on an astronomical level, but I cant at the moment:Flip:. LOL, however, I am not slow at all on the road so I'm gonna stand my ground here.

jmerch44

Reaction score
Visit site
Your read preload may be too high when you are riding by yourself. Two up with more weight the suspension would compress more with the weight going into the turnsand bemore stable. I may try lowering the preload when you ride alone and the suspension should compress better and give better feedback and follow the road better. just my $0.02

I dont see the harm in giving that a shot!:thumbup:

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to vote preload too high as well... the back end could compress but can't (because set too high) so it is stepping out on you...

Also to consider are your bald tires and your tire pressure

being fast on the street can also lead to a quick death

jmerch44

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to vote preload too high as well... the back end could compress but can't (because set too high) so it is stepping out on you...

Also to consider are your bald tires and your tire pressure

being fast on the street can also lead to a quick death

yes yes,I understand the risk ( for the hundreth time) I just dont care! some peole just want the rush without the lecture. I'll take you're advice on the preload though.

necrotimus

Reaction score
Visit site
yes yes,I understand the risk ( for the hundreth time) I just dont care! some peole just want the rush without the lecture. I'll take you're advice on the preload though.

I don't give lectures to protect you from killing yourself. I give lectures on behalf of the people you could kill by not caring.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
You have any videos of your riding? 2up or otherwise? Preferably you in front of the camera.

I don't give lectures to protect you from killing yourself. I give lectures on behalf of the people you could kill by not caring.

Well said. And just because I may be guilty of doing something stupid, does not mean I'm prohibited from telling someone else that doing "X" is stupid/selfish/whatever. It's not personal...it's not about judging people.

Ok, back on topic......

MRGM

Reaction score
Visit site
I forgot about my rear preload once after riding 2up, backend was very "lively" to say the least. Not enough traction because the suspension was topping out all the time over bumps. I usually ride with it at the 5 mark and go to 7 for 2up.

jmerch44

Reaction score
Visit site

NO,NO, you said being fast on the street can lead to a quick death, you were talking about killing myself, focus, and read your own post. Self righteous post are a waste of time and an insult. I know very well what can kill me and others on the road, I dont need some one who pulls the same crap on their days off to tell me I'm being unsafe. if you ever broke the speed limit, did a wheelie, did a stoppie, exceeded the speed limit in the twisties, topped out your bike, did any stunt, while on the street, you lost your safety credibility and your a hypocrite and you might as well be a cop because thats what they do.

i'm not trying to start a war on this thread, (again) i'm just saying that unless you have never broken a traffic law, you're just like me, so lets just stay on topic and except each other for who we are, thrill seeking, adrenaline junkies who love to ride, nothing more, nothing less.:rockon:

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
If something's the problem, I'd bet it's you and not the bike...

How much do you weight? Have you considered suspension upgrades? Dropping the ball and just going out to get a bigger bike won't solve your issue imho...

Good luck with it...

jmerch44

Reaction score
Visit site
If something's the problem, I'd bet it's you and not the bike...

How much do you weight? Have you considered suspension upgrades? Dropping the ball and just going out to get a bigger bike won't solve your issue imho...

Good luck with it...

I though about that, but somtimes I feel to big for th fz6. if its the suspension, then doesnt that mean it is the bike. I'm not a professional, I'm just noticing things as I ride. I like the feel of bigger bikes. I feel like it might be time for me to promote to a 1000cc. I know i'm not Rossi, but I dont think I have to be to move up. I think a bigger bike is what I need, someting with more weight.

necrotimus

Reaction score
Visit site
NO,NO, you said being fast on the street can lead to a quick death, you were talking about killing myself, focus, and read your own post. Self righteous post are a waste of time and an insult. I know very well what can kill me and others on the road, I dont need some one who pulls the same crap on their days off to tell me I'm being unsafe. if you ever broke the speed limit, did a wheelie, did a stoppie, exceeded the speed limit in the twisties, topped out your bike, did any stunt, while on the street, you lost your safety credibility and your a hypocrite and you might as well be a cop because thats what they do.

i'm not trying to start a war on this thread, (again) i'm just saying that unless you have never broken a traffic law, you're just like me, so lets just stay on topic and except each other for who we are, thrill seeking, adrenaline junkies who love to ride, nothing more, nothing less.:rockon:

You're right I should stay on topic.

Practice, practice, practice and soon you will obtain that acceleration that all thrill seeking, adrenaline junkies covet, 9.8 m/s².

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You're right I should stay on topic.

Practice, practice, practice and soon you will obtain that acceleration that all thrill seeking, adrenaline junkies covet, 9.8 m/s².
That one made me have to do a little research!! LMAO!!! Earth's gravity, denoted by g, refers to the acceleration that the Earth imparts to objects on or near its surface. In SI units this acceleration is measured in m/s² (metres per second per second, equivalently written as m·s−2 or N/kg). It has an approximate value of 9.8 m/s², :rockon: :D