I like my FZ6 BUT...

specialk

Reaction score
Visit site
OK...I have to put a stop to this because I didn't want this thread to turn into a battle about ABS or no ABS. You each can make up your mind or look back at the countless threads where this topic is killed. Bottomline....check out pics of the 2009 CBR600rr ABS doing a stoppie in the rain...its amazing.

Can anyone shed some light on whether the FJR is too much bike for a daily commuter?

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
An FJR is likely a BETTER daily commuter than the FZ. Longer, slightly more stable, more easily accessed power.... hard luggage. The extra weight is not a bad thing, going from point A to B.

razteo

Special Member
Reaction score
Visit site

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
To be realistic though, my money is on doing advanced/defensive riding courses as being of far greater benefit than purchasing ABS on your bike if you think you need 'safety features'. Of course both is probably better but I know which I'll get first.

[Training / skills] and [ABS] are not mutually exclusive, though you seem to imply that he has to choose one over the other, even for a short time. His skills will develope either way whether he has an ABS bike or not, which pares off the need to debate one over the other.

In the meantime, I think the FJR is kinda big, but I am in the minority on that point. Everyone who has one seem to love it to death. I'm a small guy, and everytime I stand next to one it seems like a sofa. I like them though - well-sorted, quick, universally praised handling for a bike that weight, shaft drive...

I always hear mixed stories on the vfr's, with the scales tipping in the bad direction on later units with v-tec.

Oh and I know it seems to have fallen out of the running but the F800ST with ABS had some issue that a few owners were bitching about, where it would release all braking ability for a few seconds if you hit a rough bump, like coming into a gas station. It would sense one wheel locking up (because it's in mid-air for a fraction of a second, which lets the brake clamp it down) and it would then give you NO brakes for a second or so. Almost made one guy ride into a gas pump. So the system on those had some sorting out to do. Or so I heard.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
It's more complex than 'standard' 'dumb' brakes.... requires more maintenance.
This is a reasonable negative to ABS, I've been trying to get steel-braided cables for mine and can only find Galfer that make them. I was going to take mine off so HEL could measure them and gave up after getting the lines off I could get to and realising that I'd have to take most of the bike to bits to get the rest off! :eek: So I gave up, put them back on and filled them up again. :rolleyes:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I own't kneed no stinkin' AyeBeeeEs!!! :BLAA:

Actually never used it but the CBR system seems cool.

Yeah some ppl never wore a helmet either and are still here to talk about it.... conclusion: no-one needs a helmet.

lolz

An FJR is likely a BETTER daily commuter than the FZ. Longer, slightly more stable, more easily accessed power.... hard luggage. The extra weight is not a bad thing, going from point A to B.

Depends on your commute. My DR is better on my commute than my FZ6...and an FJR would be silly for my commute. Not to mention expensive.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
This is a reasonable negative to ABS, I've been trying to get steel-braided cables for mine and can only find Galfer that make them. I was going to take mine off so HEL could measure them and gave up after getting the lines off I could get to and realising that I'd have to take most of the bike to bits to get the rest off! :eek: So I gave up, put them back on and filled them up again. :rolleyes:

If you can find a custom brake shop, or a hydraulics outfit, they should have reels of braided lin in stock, and the required fixtures to build lines on the spot. If you have the bike on site, and they can do the work as you dissassemble to get to the rest of the lines, you could end up with the discount for developing the 'custom kit'. Cutting the lines to length is difficult the first time, right?

As long as the default condition with the ABS is no worse than 'dumb' brakes.... i.e., you can still ride the thing with 'normal' braking capability I don't see them as bad. When the system immobilizes the bike because it doesn't trust you to ride without that level of protection........ there, I have a problem. :)

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
If you can find a custom brake shop, or a hydraulics outfit, they should have reels of braided lin in stock, and the required fixtures to build lines on the spot. If you have the bike on site, and they can do the work as you dissassemble to get to the rest of the lines, you could end up with the discount for developing the 'custom kit'. Cutting the lines to length is difficult the first time, right?

As long as the default condition with the ABS is no worse than 'dumb' brakes.... i.e., you can still ride the thing with 'normal' braking capability I don't see them as bad. When the system immobilizes the bike because it doesn't trust you to ride without that level of protection........ there, I have a problem. :)
The problem isn't just the cabling lengths etc. They use strange fittings that go to strange metal tube thingies.There are about three lines just for the rear brake! Galfer are the only ones who make the fittings needed at the moment! :( Pic here of a bit of it.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
There has to be at least two sources..... Yamaha is a big proponent of dual sourcing parts... the OEM parts that the OEM lines are mounted to would be acceptable for the braided lines as well. I wonder if you can scrounge a set of ABS lines from a wrecked bike, to cannibalize the fixtures from?

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
There has to be at least two sources..... Yamaha is a big proponent of dual sourcing parts... the OEM parts that the OEM lines are mounted to would be acceptable for the braided lines as well. I wonder if you can scrounge a set of ABS lines from a wrecked bike, to cannibalize the fixtures from?
Nice idea actually that I may look into if I can't find a Galfer UK supplier. It may require welding or summat though as the lines going to the blocks from the brakes/reservoir don't screw onto them using banjo bolts or anything, they are welded on solid and that is bolted on to the weird metal tube things.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah some ppl never wore a helmet either and are still here to talk about it.... conclusion: no-one needs a helmet.

Wavex that is a bit "Devils advocatish" you know what I mean.

My point was to change a bike "Just" to have ABS sounds like there was a hint of bad planning to get a FZ6 without it to begin with.

I would say to ride a bike without a helmet you have to be a `Kin`idiot.

What about riding a bike without ABS?

Steve

specialk

Reaction score
Visit site
not sure what the point of that last post is... anyway.

I made my decision. Picked up an '08 FJR1300 with 6700 miles this morning. Steering felt really heavy on the way home (opposite of what I had heard about FJR's steering). Tire psi was 6 low in front and 6 low in rear!!!

in any case, the bike is a missile. It is beautiful, no buzzing like the FJr but it is heavy (as expected). getting it on the center stand is nearly impossible for me.

in any case, get that baby rolling and it honestly feels just as nimble as the FZ.

will post pics and more details when I get out and ride later today.

I wanted to say thanks to everyone for their input. I would not have even asked if I did not value it. Now to try and convince the significant other to let me keep the FZ6 as well :spank:

Zack

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for the advice.

I actually want ABS because I AM NOT an expert.

I am leaning towards the VFr because I hear awesome things about them. THe only thing I dont like is the fact that it doesn't have much in the way of an alternator for electronic goodies.

I would make ABS mandatory not an extra option. Same for HID lights.
Every decent car today has ABS, I would say that bike needs it even more.

jeepinoutwest

Reaction score
Visit site
For those still seeking an ABS equiped bike, Hold out for the 2011 Yamaha FZ8, I strongly suspect it will be available with ABS stateside. Thats my next bike.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I want ABS. what should I get?

Top runners:
1) 2006 VFR ABS
2) BMW F800ST (PRICE...OUCH)
3) FJR
4) ???
No one can tell you what you like. Just take the time, take plenty of demo rides and then decide (unfortunately price usually comes into it).

Money no object - my choice - MV Augusta F4
Money is an object - maybe Triumph Street Triple/Triple R or Kawasaki ZX6.

All nice.

specialk

Reaction score
Visit site
so I thought I would post some thoughts of the FJR since I have had a week and 500 miles on it.

the thing is AWESOME. I put dunlop roadsmarts on it and they transformed the bike. I can manuever this this in a parking lot as easily as I could my FZ. on the highway, the FJR is as nimble as the FZ. In the twisties, I think it performs equally as well. I can't really say enough good things about it. time will tell if I made the right decision but I am very happy with the new bike. also, the thing is freaking beautiful. lots of compliments on the bike...including the darn cop that pulled me over the day before thanksgiving. this bike just feels so much more solid and less buzzy that the speed comes without knowing.

when yamaha puts the cross plane crank and ABS on the FZ1, I will be first in line, but I doubt the FJR is going anywhere.