I Can’t Decide! FZ6 / FZ1 / R6s HELP!!!

wick001

Reaction score
Visit site
What’s up guys,

Well it’s the middle of winter here in Michigan, I sold all my toys at the end of last season and I have the itch and I’m ready to buy a new bike. Even if it sits in the garage for a few more months haha. I wouldn’t mind looking at a beautiful bike every morning.

So I’ve narrowed my search down to a Yamaha bike. My previous bikes are as follows in order: 1983 Honda Ascot VT500, 1990 Yamaha Radian, 2000 Kawasaki ZRX-1100, 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan 800, 2003 Suzuki SV1000s (very fun machine).

So I have a pretty good idea of what I am looking for after coming from that SV1000s. The bike was a blast to ride, for 30 minutes at a time. It killed my wrists, I am 6’3” and all my weight was put on the handle bars. Just wasn’t enjoyable after 30-45 minutes of riding.

So I want spirited sport bike look & performance, like more than I’ll ever need, I just want to know its there. Also I want a comfortable riding position that will leave me wanting to ride everyday, instead of icing my wrists.

I love the look of both the naked & full fairing. The R6 & R1 is to in-your-face-race for me.

I love the look of the R6s, its got better ergos than the R6, 126hp, and has to be a very awesome ride. But still a little hunched over.

The FZ1 has amazing power @ 150hp. This bike must fly. And the 2007 model in black is one of the sexiest bikes I’ve ever seen.

The FZ6 looks like the perfect bike for the average rider. Has some performance, comfortable etc… I’m just worried that coming from that SV1000s, it will leave me wanting more.

What do you guys think will fit my needs the most and leave me happy for years? This will be the first NEW bike I have ever bought and I want to keep it for a while.

Thanks…

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you had to sell the SV1000 because it was hurting your wrists, I don't know that the R6s would be much better (although its the best looker for sitting in the garage for a few months!). As far as between the FZ1 and FZ6? I'm 6'5" and bought the FZ6 as it was my first bike, I have no desire to have any more power, that's for sure. Don't know how much roomier the FZ1 is...

Last edited:

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
cbr600 rr .... :)

Joking asside its your decision bud, the FZ6 was my first bike and it has awsome characteristics... Do you want a sports bike or do you want something a little more easier on the wrists ? If its comfort you want the FZ6 is 10/10

The FZ6 is more than capable at most tasks, even on the track !! I do love it to bits, however, I keep finding myself hovering around sportsbikes in the showrooms :(

There are some great mods around for it and if you enjoy tinkering as much as I do then it would be a good choice..... Let your heart decide... Mine is set on a cbr 600rr ... if only I had the funds :)

P.s ... I've donated you 200 credits towards your new purchase :)

Last edited:

penguinbiker8

stuntin like my daddy
Reaction score
Visit site
the FZ1 definitely would haul A$$. as for the FZ6 its honestly fast enough for a 600. just depends on how fast over 150mph you want to go.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
are you looking for the bike to do anything special, or just be comfy, fast, reliable, and all and all awesome, if so go with the FZ6, if you want crazy fast at the cost of comfort (excluding the FZ1) the go for the other bikes.

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You should have test ride and see which suits you best. I think the FZ6 would be a wee bit peaky after the V-twin.

Here in the UK Honda are just launching the CB1000R which looks bad in black. Nice rival to the FZ1.

start

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I think the R6S would be a step backwards in terms of comfort. You do realize that the current R6S is the 2004 R6, right?

I'm 6'3" as well and find the FZ6 very comfortable. I don't find myself longing for more power but everyone is different and it seems you're ridden some powerful bikes before (1100 and 1000). You could always change out the sprockets if you wanted more thrust.

Are bike cost and the cost of insurance a concern of yours? You'll certainly be forking over considerably more money if you go the FZ1 route.
________
Web Shows

Last edited:

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Having ridden a 1000cc bike, I too would think you would appreciate something in that category. I know you like the sport-bike look; but have you considered sitting down on the cruisers? Some of the Yamaha-Star series bikes look pretty BAD=@SS.
08warrior_blk_3_396764ac.jpg

You can never go wrong with a Harley either.

But if I was riding 1000cc bikes and wanted something sporty yet comfortable over longer distances... I would go for the FZ1 - no questions asked.
08FZ1_blk_3_10b824c6.jpg

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Considering that you are an experienced rider, having ridden many bikes, and the discomfort you have for the foward leaning machines, I would say you should get the FZ1. I don't think you want to regress. I had an opportunity to sit next to a guy who owned an FZ1 at the bar a couple of weeks ago, and he coudn't stop talking about the handling of the FZ1. He previously owned a 1000 cc bike, I believe it was a Honda, and he couldn't believe how much of a difference there was between the two bikes. Apparently, he really liked the way the front forks handled around the corners. The price difference is around $3,000 from the FZ6. There is also a FZ1 forum too for you to check out.

mikebike

just a rider
Reaction score
www.crazyguyonabike.com
the FZ1 is a sweet bike...

couple of things poorer gas milage and a 4.5 gal tank

went on a 725 mile ride with some freinds and one had the FZ1 on my FZ6 I had no problem staying with him (on the road) and when we would get gas he would burn 3.5 gal when I only needed 2.9gal

that said it was pretty ---- very pretty

wolfast

Fear is the mind killer
Reaction score
Visit site
I think I answered your Question on the FZ1OA site...Didnt I...LOL yes I have both.... so I say get both!!!:thumbup:

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
like someone else said... how often do you want to go over 150mph? do you drag race this bike? i feel the fz1 is overkill (my own opinion) i didn't even know about the smaller tank (illogical if you ask me). I have ridden many bikes from big cruisers to hayabusa's and i feel the fz6 is the best all around bike i have ever ridden, i didn't however get to ride a sv but i don't miss the torque of a v-twin. but it is going to be your own opinion if this is an everyday ride around bike the fz6 will fit all of your needs.

p.s. i am 6'2" and i feel more comfort on the fz6 than my dad's tank of a harley.

castle228

'07 Kobalt FZ1
Reaction score
Visit site
I've owned 2 bikes in my life, an FZR600 and my current FZ1. I loved my 600, but I love my FZ1 even more. It's fast, agile and an all around blast to ride. Whether it's a quick jaunt down the road to the bank or a 4 hour cruise out in the farm lands here in VA, I get off it feeling like I could keep on riding.

If I had to chose between the 600 & 1000, I would do the 1000 hands down, but that's my opinion. I respect the 600's and everything they can do.

As it's been said before, if you've had a 1000 and go for the 600, are you setting yourself up for disappointment? Possibly.

Whichever you choose, just enjoy the ride. :Sport:

wick001

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I made my desicion. I just picked up my brand new 2008 Raven Black FZ6 about 4 hours ago. I'm so excited dudes... I only rode it 20 miles, kept it under 5k rpm.

I paid $7000 OTD. (+ $136 for a helmet, gloves, and mirror shield).

I was not pleased with the dealership experience. They were unorganized and pushy. Just wish I felt like I got a better deal or something...

How do you think i did?

H

HavBlue

Well, I made my desicion. I just picked up my brand new 2008 Raven Black FZ6 about 4 hours ago. I'm so excited dudes... I only rode it 20 miles, kept it under 5k rpm.

I paid $7000 OTD. (+ $136 for a helmet, gloves, and mirror shield).

I was not pleased with the dealership experience. They were unorganized and pushy. Just wish I felt like I got a better deal or something...

How do you think i did?

Doesn't really matter what we think. Rather, it's all about what you think and I'm glad you like the bike. If I were to find anything unusual it would be paying for a helmet as I have always had the dealer throw them in at no cost to me.

FzPilot

Reaction score
www.borczm.com
FZ1 all the way. I love my fz6 but if I had to do it all over again, it would have been Fz1.

I get to ride one from time to time, awesome bilke.

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think it's like choosing between 2 types of Italian sports cars - who really cares as long as it really moves you?

I think the price you paid on a brand new bike OTD is not bad.

And how many times do we have to read about how bad an experience one of our members has had at the dealership? Isn't this supposed to be a FUN experience? Why does it always have to suck?

I actually lucked out with my last 2 vehicle purchases, but I definitely walked out of a lot of places because of the vibe there. I hear you brotha.

Enjoy the bike, take it around especially carefully while you learn the feel of it.