How to lower 2007 FZ6

2003cici

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello fellow riders!!

I just bought my first bike: 2007 FZ6. So far i'm enjoying it very much, but i have a small problem. I'm 5'5'' about 150 lbs. When I mount the bike the ball of my feet barely touch the ground-tip toe. This is a bit of a hard thing for me when backing up my bike. My question would be: What is the easiest way to lower my bike about an inch? I don't have a garage i can work out of, nor do I have any advanced mechanical skills. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

dschult2

Reaction score
Visit site
You can order a shaved seat from this guy. I believe he can lower the seat up to an inch but I had this done from him and it seems to be more like a half inch. I do recommend it though as it makes the seat very comfortable if you get the Supracor.

greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello fellow riders!!

First off at 150, confirm the spring stop for preload is set to 4 or 3 or maybe 2. Tools in the bag allow you to rotate the ramp one way and change the springs preload. Its also in the Owners manual. SO read there too! :thumbup:
Move it to a lower setting and see how it rides. If its OK around a 2 setting, you could also slide the forks up the triple about 4mm and gain a little there!

There is also a lowering link available if you do a search on these key words.... "Lowering Link" you should find some info.

What it does: the rear shock assembly is 300mm from eye to eye. The end which retains the spring is removed and a shorter one is installed. Removing ~20mm from the shocks length will easily drop you an inch. Then slide the forks up the triple to match so the bike handles properly.

Its not a high level of complexity but with the spring involved its best to hand the shock to someone to compress the spring, remove it, install the lowering link and then put the spring back. Look on fleebay for the link.

Pic below:
Left end is the bottom which can be shortened (aluminum section).
Right end is the adjuster. Put a spanner wrench in it and turn it. You can only increase tension until it goes to seven, then it drops back to one with a jump and bang as the spring unloads on the collar.

FZ is the lower shock asm.
SSC_566WEB_zpsa36766d1.jpg

Forgive the coil packs hanging there, but in this pic, the forks have been slid up the triple 8mm. You can do one side at a time by loosening the pinch bolts. Use a metric allen wrench to measure with. Match both sides!
DSC_7938_zps4687e34c.jpg

NOTE: Unless the REAR ALSO GOES DOWN, sliding the forks up changes the bike turning geometry and it will turn quicker and may be **less stable** at speed. Take baby steps and don't jump to 10mm w/out lowering the back!

2003cici

Reaction score
Visit site
I did take a look at the spring stop preload. It was originally at a 3. I used the tool and brought down to a 1. I took my bike for a quick ride and I don't feel any difference. I still tip toe it.