How to Install R1 Forks on an FZ6

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Where did you get your info? I have an '07, which is in the same iteration as your '09, correct?

If there's like a step-by-step for 07-09 models that would be the bee's knees.
The most current, and best, so far is FinalImpact's "Somethin Black" thread. Scroll down to post #32, this is where he starts with the r6s suspension. Be sure to thank him with a Rep point:BLAA: Seriously, his documentation has saved me tons of time and frusration. Also, BD43 has lots of good info and IIRC a how to. Maybe it was a sticky somewhere, I forgot. Like I said earlier, Dako81 made the fender adapter and wheel spacer kit, not sure if he still does tho.

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The most current, and best, so far is FinalImpact's "Somethin Black" thread. Scroll down to post #32, this is where he starts with the r6s suspension. Be sure to thank him with a Rep point:BLAA: Seriously, his documentation has saved me tons of time and frusration. Also, BD43 has lots of good info and IIRC a how to. Maybe it was a sticky somewhere, I forgot. Like I said earlier, Dako81 made the fender adapter and wheel spacer kit, not sure if he still does tho.

Thanks a bunch! I've been checking it out.

Now that I read through this thread more thoroughly I feel less terrified of the R1 mod. Those gold inverted forks are way too nice.

The things that makes me the most nervous are the ignition grinding, loss of the steering lock, and the spacer for the steerer tube on the bottom triple...I wouldn't want that to be loose.

I like the idea that the guy who did r6 forks had, of having the steerer rethreaded and cut.

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
I am planning to do this mod when spring comes.
But i didn't decide which forks and triple tree is the best?
R1 or R6?
I' planning to change the bearings instead of the lower stems.

And one more question,
Do i have to change the brake rotors in any case?
Is it possible to use existing Fz6 rotors?

And what if i use Fz1 top clamp as a solution to put the handlebars instead of drilling holes for clamps?

No you do not have to change the rotors but you will have to put a spacer on the caliper mount

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Where did you get your info? I have an '07, which is in the same iteration as your '09, correct?

If there's like a step-by-step for 07-09 models that would be the bee's knees.

My bike is an 06. Most of my information comes from 2 places. The parts order section of the Yamaha website and from going to the local motorcycle shop and taking measurements

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
I known this is an old thread, but in doing my R1 fork swap I figured out a way to get the FZ6 stem to fit snugly in the R1 lower triple tree. I took a .003" feeler gauge, wrapped it around the stem, and worked the triple tree around it. It took just as much force to slide the stem in than it took to get it out initially.

BTW, a press is a nice thing to have, but I made do with a mallet to take out the stem and to put it on. Also, you don't need to take out the ring clip to press the stem out. You can just press it out from the other side (top down). Its not a conical fit.