How to Install R1 Forks on an FZ6

skodilak

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello I have some specific questions to jtarkany.

I am currently in progress of doing the same mod. I have just bought a R1 forks from 2001but I have some doubts about the year.

On this forks the the wheel axle is not like the FZ6 (bolt with carving which is screwed ) this one is without carving but with another bolt (sorry for the bad explanation ) this might help :needpics:

Is this going to work or my doubts will come true and this is not a 2001 R1 for? :(

What was the axle on yours?

EDIT: I just looked through the thread and most likely this is 02 for what is the chance that this type of axle will work on FZ6 wheel? How can I check if the center post diameter is the right one (at least to use the triple)?

Last edited:

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site
WRT to the axle, that's similar to the R6 axle design. Should work. Just make sure that the axle's inner-runner, outer diameter (longer tube part of the black axle part) matches the wheel's axle hole diameter. If it's smaller, you may be able to sleeve it to fit. If it's longer, you may need an R1 wheel. But, IIRC, the 02-03 R1 calipers are drop-in replacements for 04-08 FZ6, 03-04 R6, 06-09 R6S which would suggest that the wheel is also similar.

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh, and you'll need either a long allen (19mm or 23mm seems to come mind for some reason) or a few nuts snugged up on a bolt to "jimmy" an allen with a socket instead.

skodilak

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh, and you'll need either a long allen (19mm or 23mm seems to come mind for some reason) or a few nuts snugged up on a bolt to "jimmy" an allen with a socket instead.

Thank you for your reply but I don't get what an "allen" and "jimmy" mean!?

English is not my first language :)

The axle is not a problem I have checked the bearing and spacer are the same for FZ6 and R1 2002. And for R1 99-01 every thing is the same except the axle it self.

I will mount my wheel to test the setup before installing the fork on the bike.

The next thing in question is the triple and the possibility to swap the R1's(2002) center post with the FZ6 one ?! help?:(

yoshiki

Reaction score
Visit site
Any1 have successfully fitted 2006-2010 r1 forks? You guys reckon it can be fitted with the handlebar having clearance for the head fairing?

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Any1 have successfully fitted 2006-2010 r1 forks? You guys reckon it can be fitted with the handlebar having clearance for the head fairing?

Off the top of my head, :don'tknow:. The obvious things that come to mind that need to be looked at are:

- Length of the forks to avoid changing the geometry (too much)
- Mounting point on the frame (would you be able to use the 06-10 triple and steering post or would you have to use an earlier triple and utilize the mods discussed in this thread)
- Fork tube diameter in case you needed to use an older r1 triple
- Compatibility with the front tire (or would you need to use the r1 front tire)
- Use of bar risers
- R1 Front brake calipers

Hope to hear more :D

crofz

Reaction score
Visit site
Does anybody who did this swap have the dimensions of the FZ6 stem on drawing sketch to post it here so I can machine it in workshop for myself?

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Can you describe the process of pressing in and out the central post, please?

Take a look at Post #4 of the following thread: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/34384-fork-swap-steering-stem-rataining-ring.html#post362194

You will need access to a simple hydraulic press (Most machine shops, fabrication shops, and automotive shops will have one). This link provides a decent picture of what the press looks like if you are unfamiliar: Genuine Gear Ring And Pinion Gear Set Hydraulic Press Photo 7

Simply put, the lower triple clamp with steering stem/central post will be supported at the base of the press. Two "anvils" will be placed on either side of the steering stem on the underside of the clamp (Picture making a bridge with the lower clamp. This will allow the steering stem to come out through the base of the clamp without contacting the lower support surface). The hydraulic cylinder output rod will be positioned to contact the upper section of the steering stem. A small piece of aluminum should be placed on top of the stem to avoid damage to the threaded portion. Verify that everything is aligned & straight, and press the stem through the lower clamp. That easy!

I had similar questions when completing the ZX6R Fork swap. Hope this helps :)

Last edited by a moderator:

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
To the OP... since you were able to swap the forks and it worked do you think the 01 upper Tripple tree would fit stock forks?

No. The fork tube diameters are different. Essentially when you do the swap the triple and the fork tubes need to match, the trick is in the steering post.

crofz

Reaction score
Visit site
Well...I started with this experiment and after purchasing lower triples from R1 and FZ6 after pressing out the stems and trying the swap I got a slack of 0.2mm inside the R1 lower triple bore...so now the FZ6 stem is going inside easily by hand...any sugestions how to fix this or should I need to machine new stem?...the diameter on both the bore and the stem should be 30mm and then sleave it (press it in) on to get fixed joint...

socker77

Reaction score
Visit site
so if you wanted to you could use some clip on handles for the R1 or if you did the R6 fork mod you could use R6 handles?

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Well...I started with this experiment and after purchasing lower triples from R1 and FZ6 after pressing out the stems and trying the swap I got a slack of 0.2mm inside the R1 lower triple bore...so now the FZ6 stem is going inside easily by hand...any sugestions how to fix this or should I need to machine new stem?...the diameter on both the bore and the stem should be 30mm and then sleave it (press it in) on to get fixed joint...

It is less snug than the original R1 center post, however when the retaining ring is put in place it snugs up (I have had no problems). However, if you are not comfortable with that, you could do one of three things:

- Sleeve it as you suggested,
- Build up a bead on the FZ6 center post (at the bottom) and then have it turned to size, or
- Use the R1 Center post and have the top turned down to size and then rethread to match the FZ6 steering nut (One of the R6 links listed at the beginning of this thread did this).

crofz

Reaction score
Visit site
It is less snug than the original R1 center post, however when the retaining ring is put in place it snugs up (I have had no problems). However, if you are not comfortable with that, you could do one of three things:

- Sleeve it as you suggested,
- Build up a bead on the FZ6 center post (at the bottom) and then have it turned to size, or
- Use the R1 Center post and have the top turned down to size and then rethread to match the FZ6 steering nut (One of the R6 links listed at the beginning of this thread did this).

thanks for suggestions :thumbup: , I will think about it...
do you maybe know what material is made of center post if I decide to add some more material at the bottom and then machine it to correct size to fit for fixed joint

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
thanks for suggestions :thumbup: , I will think about it...
do you maybe know what material is made of center post if I decide to add some more material at the bottom and then machine it to correct size to fit for fixed joint

The FZ6 Center Post is steel, the R1 is aluminum. You could build up the FZ6 center post by welding a few beads around it. Good luck and keep us posted :thumbup:

crofz

Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 Center Post is steel, the R1 is aluminum. You could build up the FZ6 center post by welding a few beads around it. Good luck and keep us posted :thumbup:

:thumbup: thanks!!!
...still few more things to be purchased and some more measurements to be taken...the plan is to start in garage after summer because now in my country due to a nice weather it's a sin to break up a motorcycle ...I will try to keep you posted...

socker77

Reaction score
Visit site
This is the greatest idea ever makes the bike look awesome I would love to put some clip ons to the fzixer.