How to Install R1 Forks on an FZ6

FZ6-ZN

Insert nonsense here
Reaction score
Visit site
Be carful not to confuse the forks stanchion diameter with that of the fork tube.

The diameter of the fork tube on a 2006-2008 R1 is 50mm and the diameter of the stanchion is 43mm.

On an USD setup, the fork tube passes through the triple clamp and not the fork stanchion.

FZ6-ZN

Well I just looked up the specs on the FZ6 forks and the different year R1 forks and this is what i found:

all years of FZ6 - Forks - 43mm with 130mm travel

1998-2003 R1 - Forks - USD 44mm with 120mm travel

2004-2005 R1 - Forks - USD 43mm with 120mm travel

2006-2008 R1 - Forks- USD 43mm with 119.4mm travel

So I would think that only honing 1mm off of the triple claps, if your going to use 1998-2003 R1 forks, wouldn't be that bad. And if you find a set of 2004-2005 R1 forks to work with, then it looks like it wouldn't need any work on the FZ6 triple clamp. Now as far as the calibers and the front fender, that's another story, that im looking into...2004 and on R1s have Radial mounted brakes, so the 1998 to 2003 would be easier to set up, and I think that they use the same caliper as the R6s, which would mean that ever our stock calipers should mount up...hum

Sean

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Well over the past two days I was able to put the new R1 forks to the test. I set them up at factory spec so that I could figure out whether or not I would need to go stiffer or softer (definitely stiffer).

My canyon carving skills are moderate at best, but I can tell you the forks performed beautifully, the bike drops in quickly with almost zero effort (this took a little getting used to) and holds the line like a laser guided missile. Even though I am not an expert rider, I could definitely feel a positive improvement in performance, definitely an upgrade from the stock forks and with R1 and R6 forks to be had for as little as $150 US on ebay, it is actually a fairly reasonably priced mod.

Last edited:

slandis

Reaction score
Visit site
Local, dealership had a 2001 R1 I took measurements from. I also looked up the axle part number as well as the steering bearing part numbers on Yamaha.com to see if all of the contact points would be the same between the two bikes.

Is there any chance you remember, or could get the the diameter of the fork tube at the lower triple for me?

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Is there any chance you remember, or could get the the diameter of the fork tube at the lower triple for me?

When I get back in town I will measure the bottom and post it up, unless someone else knows the answer and wants to post it up :D

Last edited:

rpereira

Reaction score
Visit site
<snip> from the stock forks and with R1 and R6 forks to be had for as little as $150 US on ebay, it is actually a fairly reasonably priced mod.

$150USD ??? Really ? All the ones I find are like $400!!! :/ Care to point me in the right direction ? ;P

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org

proxxx34

Reaction score
Visit site
...so what we are essentially doing is swapping out the R1 Center Post for the FZ6 Center Post. In order to do this you will need to remove the retaining ring from both triple trees located at the bottom underneath the lower triple tree around the bottom of the center post (see picture below) Once you have done this you will need a hydraulic press to press out the center post and then press them back in.

To remove the retaining ring you will need to dremel off the lip around the edge of the lower triple that is right over the ring. Once you have dremeled the lip off, you can pry up one end of the ring and remove it with a pair of needle nose. You will reinstall the ring by getting one end started in the groove around the bottom of the center post and then working it into the groove by tapping it in all the way around, once it is seated in the groove the center post is unmovable.

picture.php

can you be more specific about this procedure? put some more pictures or drawings how you did it.

slandis

Reaction score
Visit site
can you be more specific about this procedure? put some more pictures or drawings how you did it.

I don't know if he has any more pictures of this procedure, but here is a photo (graciously stolen from another swap from an R6 on the interwebs) of the ring in question:

r1_stem.jpg

Hopefully that sheds a little light on the ring, and why you might have to dremel. Though, there must be a way to remove/replace that ring without doing the grinding, I don't have one in front of me to mess with.

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org

Maybe :confused:, do you have some specific questions? It really is a pretty straight forward process.

- dremel the lip off of the bottom of the bottom clamp that surrounds the retaining ring
- Remove the retaining ring with a pair of needle nose
- use a hydraulic press to remove the steering post
- press in the new steering post
- work the retaining ring back into the groove in the steering post
- mount to the bike
- install top clamp (you will need to make accomodations for the ignition, I chose to grind mine down, another person chose to move the ignition, you will decide)
- install 2, 3/4" Crimp Rings (or spacer of your choice) as spacers between the steering tube and the top clamp
- Mount your wheel and brakes (you will need to place one washer between each of the brake mounting points so that the calipers line up with the rotors)

proxxx34

Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe :confused:, do you have some specific questions? It really is a pretty straight forward process.

- dremel the lip off of the bottom of the bottom clamp that surrounds the retaining ring
- Remove the retaining ring with a pair of needle nose
- use a hydraulic press to remove the steering post
- press in the new steering post
- work the retaining ring back into the groove in the steering post
- mount to the bike
- install top clamp (you will need to make accomodations for the ignition, I chose to grind mine down, another person chose to move the ignition, you will decide)
- install 2, 3/4" Crimp Rings (or spacer of your choice) as spacers between the steering tube and the top clamp
- Mount your wheel and brakes (you will need to place one washer between each of the brake mounting points so that the calipers line up with the rotors)

When I saw the picture of the ring in question everything come clear to me.
Because English is not my native language this "to dremel" procedure I didn't understand quite well...you know what they say that the picture is worth 1000 words ;)