How to Install R1 Forks on an FZ6

S0nic

Reaction score
Visit site
Hell Yeah! Finally, I've received the forks, brakes, axle, fender and both triples from the R1.
Anyone has an idea how the r1 forks can be disassembled? I'd like to drain the oil and replace it with the new one, and replace the seals with the new ones. I couldn't find manuals good enough to let me catch it.
f736ea9eeb05c7797ca7f0657702931e.jpg

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Hell Yeah! Finally, I've received the forks, brakes, axle, fender and both triples from the R1.
Anyone has an idea how the r1 forks can be disassembled? I'd like to drain the oil and replace it with the new one, and replace the seals with the new ones. I couldn't find manuals good enough to let me catch it.

Congratulations on starting the project. Your forks look so much better than mine, must be the addition of those gorgeous legs :D Anyhow, here is a really good rebuild right up I ran across a while ago: 500 Two-Stroke Tech :: View topic - How to Rebuild Your R1 Forks

S0nic

Reaction score
Visit site
Hell yeah! Finally I made it.
The R1 stem is 0.02mm thicker that the FZ6 stem. So it has caused many problems when pressing it in the R1's lower triple.
We had to hardly transform the lower triple, 'cause it has it's steering stop points on other places than the FZ6's. We had to use the Argon welding to make new steering stop points.
Also, there's still a problem with the ignition. I spent for hours with the angle grinder in my hands trying to give it the right shape and finally I did. But there was no place to mount the immobiliser antenna (the top plastic part of the ignition) so I had to temporally mount it with only one bolt on the other side of the top triple.
I also used Protaper handlebar risers ($100 on Ebay).
After bleeding the brakes, I found out, that even when I don't press the brakes lever, the brakes hold the wheel much stronger, that stock FZ6's. Is that okay?
Here's the pic!
x_2423e09a.jpg

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Looks Great:thumbup: Congratulations. Every mod has it's little gremlin tweaks that crop up, but you worked through them and the results look great!

pavlaras1

Reaction score
Visit site
Can I do the same to my S2 with FZ1 forks?
Is it better and easier to do it the upgrade with FZ1 forks to S2?
:)

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Can I do the same to my S2 with FZ1 forks?
Is it better and easier to do it the upgrade with FZ1 forks to S2?
:)

I will start by saying, "If someone tells you, You can't do something, and you believe them, then YOU can't."

Now we have that out of the way. The FZ1 went to an inverted fork in 2006, my guess is that it would be easier to find a used set of R1 or R6 forks if you want inverted.

The question as to whether it is better or not is something you will have to determine, for me the R1 forks provide the ability to adjust them, not really sure if this is a benefit or not as I am not well versed in the Dark Art of suspension, however I have enjoyed playing with it and feeling the difference in the ride. I have them set stiffer than factory R1 forks right now and as they sit right now, they hold a line much better than my stock FZ6 forks did.

The things that you have to keep in mind are:

- Length of the fork
- compatible weight of the bike (our bike ways around 450 lbs)
- Will you be putting your FZ6 front tire back on or one that matches the make and model of the forks.
- Are you willing to:
- Swap out the steering post, modify the steering post, swap the steering post with the FZ6 steering post, etc...
- Replace the bearings and races
- Modify the triple so that it has free range of movement
- Remove and remount your ignition on the new triple
- Consideration for mounting handlebars
- You will have to select the correct brakes for the forks

These are just a few of the things that come to mind in answering your question. Essentially it means you have some researching and measuring to do. :thumbup:

Last edited:

crofz

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, center post problem solved...welded some more material and brought it to correct size in lathe machine. Here are some pics. to show what I'll try to do when time allows...
So far I still have one question and that is how to solve steering stop points at the lower triple tree...please be free to suggest something.

View attachment 36915

View attachment 36916

View attachment 36917

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So far I still have one question and that is how to solve steering stop points at the lower triple tree...please be free to suggest something.

Any body?

I am not familiar with the lower clamp of the R1; but, you can take a look what I did with the ZX6R fork conversion here:http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/33872-teaser-winter-project-4.html#post362883

And Here: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/33872-teaser-winter-project-4.html#post364080

Just a thought...hope it helps.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

crofz

Reaction score
Visit site
I am not familiar with the lower clamp of the R1; but, you can take a look what I did with the ZX6R fork conversion here:http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/33872-teaser-winter-project-4.html#post362883

And Here: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/33872-teaser-winter-project-4.html#post364080

Just a thought...hope it helps.

Thank you!

Thanks Skooter65 for reply, I can see that you did a great mode there...well done!
The problem with R1 lower triple is that it's not flat like the kawa, gixxer or custom made lower triple to just drill and tap...but some ideas are coming up :thumbup:

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
I am planning to do this mod when spring comes.
But i didn't decide which forks and triple tree is the best?
R1 or R6?
I' planning to change the bearings instead of the lower stems.

And one more question,
Do i have to change the brake rotors in any case?
Is it possible to use existing Fz6 rotors?

And what if i use Fz1 top clamp as a solution to put the handlebars instead of drilling holes for clamps?

Last edited:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Some of the forum members (myself included) have done the R6 fork swap. For the most part it's a straight swap, you just need to trim up the fender and Dako81 sells the hardware/spacer kit. There are a few threads on the swap, just search it if you have not already. FinalImpact has an on going thread which includes the fork swap.

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
I mean R6R usd fork swap.
I've already made the R6S fork swap.
I want to try upside down forks this time.:D

lrojasma

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, the forks are on, still have some minor details like the headlight, front fender and brake pads to install, but, I figured I would post up what I have done to get to this point.

krushnuts R6r Forks, the thread that started it all:http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/18846-r6r-forks-doable.html
Also check out 4drfocus's R6r Fork Swap:http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/32360-r6r-front-end-swap-finished-finaly.html
and Scottn's R6r Fork Swap:http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/32681-2009-r6-front-end-project-complete.html

Parts:
- 1998-2001 R1 Forks: I used 2001 R1 forks, $180 on ebay (1998-2001 are the same, 2002 on use a different axle and 2003 on have a different center post diameter at the bottom than the FZ6)
- Used FZ6 Lower Triple $50 (So I could experiment without destroying my triple)
- 1998-2003 R1 Brake Calipers: I got 2002 brake calipers, $90 ebay, because they had the gold anodized caps instead of the blue from previous years.
- Optional 1998-2001 R1 front wheel spacers, $5 ebay, I found out during the install that the FZ6 spacers worked fine, but since I had them and the dust seal covered the whole bearing area I used them.
- 2, M8 - 1.25 X 25 mm Hex head bolts to mount your ignition, $1.35 at Lowes.
- 1, 3/4" Crimp Ring: Pack of 10 at Lowes for $3. You will need to insert this in the R1 Top Clamp around the top of the FZ6 Center Post as the Diameter at the top of the Center Post is 22 mm and the inside Diameter of the R1 Top Clamp is 27 mm, this still leaves about a 1 mm gap all the way around when installed.
- Handlebar risers: I used these from www.denniskirk.com, $66
dk595908.jpg

I had to drill and tap a hole between the two existing mounts to bolt it to the top clamp, I screwed the original bolts into the original mounting holes and cut them off about a 1/4" long, I then drilled 4 holes in the top clamp for these to fit in to keep the risers stable.

Ok, I think that is everything, so what we are essentially doing is swapping out the R1 Center Post for the FZ6 Center Post. In order to do this you will need to remove the retaining ring from both triple trees located at the bottom underneath the lower triple tree around the bottom of the center post (see picture below) Once you have done this you will need a hydraulic press to press out the center post and then press them back in.

To remove the retaining ring you will need to dremel off the lip around the edge of the lower triple that is right over the ring. Once you have dremeled the lip off, you can pry up one end of the ring and remove it with a pair of needle nose. You will reinstall the ring by getting one end started in the groove around the bottom of the center post and then working it into the groove by tapping it in all the way around, once it is seated in the groove the center post is unmovable.

picture.php

Once you have the center post swapped, simply take off the front tire, brakes and forks.

Install your R1 Forks using all of the FZ6 bearings, bolts and pieces, be sure to regrease your bearings at this point.

The most difficult part, getting the ignition off of the FZ6 Top Clamp. I attempted to drill out the bolts, no dice, so instead I used a hacksaw to cut below the ignition where the top clamp mounts to it (wasn't going to use the top clamp again anyhow :D) once I cut through the bolts the ignition came right off.

Now, since the R1 top clamp sits closer to the frame and the FZ6 has that ugly bunch of metal poking out right below the top clamp, the ignition is not going to fit. So, I cut and grinded the back of my ignition down until it cleared and mounted, you will notice that there is a steel pin in the area you need to cut and grind, this is the pin that allows you to lock the steering on your bike, if you do it right your steering lock will still work, thankfully mine does.

Mount your wheel and brakes (you will need to place one washer between each of the brake mounting points so that the calipers line up with the rotors) and enjoy.

Hi how are you?

i was wondering. do you have any pictures on the grinding process of the switch? i am trying to do this mod but i see that there is too much to be grinded, so i dont knwo exactly if it will be fitting just grinding the switch.

So do you have more pictures that maybe can help?

thanks.

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Some of the forum members (myself included) have done the R6 fork swap. For the most part it's a straight swap, you just need to trim up the fender and Dako81 sells the hardware/spacer kit. There are a few threads on the swap, just search it if you have not already. FinalImpact has an on going thread which includes the fork swap.

Where did you get your info? I have an '07, which is in the same iteration as your '09, correct?

If there's like a step-by-step for 07-09 models that would be the bee's knees.