How NOT to do an oil change

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
I have just done my first oil change (well, partial)

This was an abject lesson in how not to do it:

1. Buy oil and funnel
2. Read manual - torque wrench required. Never used one of them before...
3. Buy torque wrench
4. Put loads of newspaper down.
5. Warm engine up
6. Remove oil filler cap
7. Put old biscuit tin below drain plug
8. Remove drain plug. Watch oil splurge all over floor because it intially comes out horizontally, quickly move biscuit tin

(So far so good, pic below)

9. Set torque wrench. Screw sump plug back in.
10. Listen to clicks (note the above when I said I had never used a torque wrench before, I thought when reached the correct pressure it stopped), ignore clicks.
11. Carry on turning torque wrench
12. Think, this is wrong, it's actually getting easier to turn
13. Look at sump plug. Realise there is now a crack in the sump
14. Swear - a lot
15. Phone dealer to arrange for bike to be picked up
16. Think of devious scheme to hide mistake (and cost) from wife
17. Realise it isn't worth hiding it from wife as she will realise bike is not in garage.
18. Prepare to tell a good tale to wife about how torque wrench must have been wrong.

The dealer estimates the cost in total will be 240 pounds.
He said I wasn't the first and I wouldn't be the last. A bloke did exactly the same to his GSXR 750 last week and it cost over a grand because the engine has to come out. Luckily the FZ6 has an easy to reach sump

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Lugs you night mare!
I am gutted for you. Do you want to borrow my bike whilst yours is in the shop?
I am walking to work at the moment so its not a problem.

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:D:D:D:D

Oh dear, but on the plus side a nice accurate write up. If only everybody was that honest.

You do not make mention of the oil filter!:eek:

I think it was Stan Laurel who said
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead."

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
I read everything really carefully (well in hindsight not the torque wrench instructions) and it says you don't need to change the filter at 6000 miles.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Ugh, that's painful to look at.

You're not alone. The first time I used a torque wrench was on the transmission cover of my BMW. I misread inch-pounds as foot pounds and kept turning and turning. Oh yeah, I was torquing progressively, so in the end I had a total of 11 stretched out 5mm bolts and one with a snapped off head.

Fred

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I feel your pain. Sounds like you're rebounding fine (it's your sense of humor). Owner's manual does say to replace oil filter (cartridge) with break-in oil change (1st change).

rdksek844

Newbie Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
To be honest, that is a great way to learn. It may be a costly way to learn, but you will never forget what you did learn. When I was growing up, I had no help and no internet to learn from, so I learned by doing and failing. It cost me more time and money, but I learned very improtant lessons. My son will now benefit from my mistakes as I will be there to show him what not to do. Look at it as a learning experience and don't give up on doing things yourself.

vinpub

Reaction score
Visit site
That's very honest. Although I feel bad for you having to part 250 pounds, I am glad to see you still have retained your humor about it.
At least you didnt kick your bike in rage after you heard the quote from dealer and drop it for more damage!! .... :)
I dropped my wife's bike the minute i was done installing her centerstand and i wasnt even mad. I put it on the stand to test it (first time after I mounted the stand on her V-Strom admiring my handywork). Like a fool tried to take it off the stand standing on the left side (not sitting on it).... It leaned the other way, down it went with me on top, and it tipped over my FZ6 parked right next to it. So the 100 bucks I saved installing it myself went right in (and more) for mirror repairs etc....
Worst parts ....
(1) It was my wife's bike that I dropped. (I am sure I will be sweetly reminded of this at the most inopportunate times)
(2) Because both the bikes were on top of each other I had to call her (from her Yoga routine - obviously not a good time) to help me pick up the bikes. So there was no chance of hiding anything or to blame the tipovers on her pet rabbit)
Good part, for you and me, both of us can claim that we have spent top dollars on our education, in a school of hard knocks (?) ........... :):)
I am sure you will get over it. I was feeling really bad for a few days until the new hardware arrived (mirrors etc). Then I was in business again.

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
vinpub - you've made me feel a bit better. I have kept my sense of humour about it. I tend to see the positive side of most things. As I sent my new scottoiler with the bike they'll install it for me at the same time. I had been terrified of cutting the wrong hose - justifiably it turns out given my numptyness today.

As a ps to the orignal post. I went to pick my son up from school at 2.15. A full hour early!!!! Didn't realise my mistake until I got there. Not having a good day....:(

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
To be honest, that is a great way to learn. It may be a costly way to learn, but you will never forget what you did learn. When I was growing up, I had no help and no internet to learn from, so I learned by doing and failing. It cost me more time and money, but I learned very improtant lessons. My son will now benefit from my mistakes as I will be there to show him what not to do. Look at it as a learning experience and don't give up on doing things yourself.

just remember to have the same humor when your son doesn't pay attention because he thinks you are an old washed up fuddy-dud. Thats what I did :thumbup:

(my dad was a master mechanic that tried to teach me but out of spite i tried my own way and his was always better! but now i know how not do stuff)

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

vinpub

Reaction score
Visit site
vinpub - you've made me feel a bit better. I have kept my sense of humour about it. I tend to see the positive side of most things. As I sent my new scottoiler with the bike they'll install it for me at the same time. I had been terrified of cutting the wrong hose - justifiably it turns out given my numptyness today.

As a ps to the orignal post. I went to pick my son up from school at 2.15. A full hour early!!!! Didn't realise my mistake until I got there. Not having a good day....:(

No worries. At least you were not late to pick him up.
OTOH, if you had your bike with you you could have just gone for a quick ride!!
Dont take it too hard, just kidding with you. :Sport:

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice write up Buggerlugs mate :)

You def need a good sense of humour with episodes like these lol ... I've had my fair share ....

:rtfm: lol