How much safety gear do you wear?

How much safety gear do you wear EVERY RIDE ?

• No Gear

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Helmet Only

Votes: 8 3.2%
  • Helmet and Gloves

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Helmet, Gloves, Boots

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Helmet, Gloves, Boots, Jacket

Votes: 138 55.0%
  • Full Gear - Head to Toe

Votes: 86 34.3%

• Total voters

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
helmet
boots
armoured trousers
armoured jacket or leathers
sh1t hot gloves

and most importantly....

I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS WEAR MY BACK PROTECTOR

In my job I see a lot of spinal injuries and 10 seconds putting on a back protector could be the difference between still running around with your kids or operating a motorised wheelchair !!

I don't even realise mine is on !! ;)

What kind of work are in? I know military, medical evac?

H

HavBlue

helmet
boots
armoured trousers
armoured jacket or leathers
sh1t hot gloves

and most importantly....

I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS WEAR MY BACK PROTECTOR

In my job I see a lot of spinal injuries and 10 seconds putting on a back protector could be the difference between still running around with your kids or operating a motorised wheelchair !!

I don't even realise mine is on !! ;)

Is the spine armor not part of the jacket? Mine is built right into the jacket.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I used to wear all of it all of the time. I have for some stupid reason taken to riding without armoured pants around town. I dont know why. If I go anywhere I put them on, its just such a hassle to put them on, and then take them off for a 8 minute ride to town.

I do always wear a full face, gloves, jacket, over the ankle boots and jeans.
Almost always full face, gloves, jacket, riding boots, jeans and riding overpants.

I totally agree that is a hassle but we all know what can happen in 8 seconds, never mind 8 minutes.

Last summer I put all my gear on to go to the grocers. It is all of 600 yards away. By the time I was ready my girlfriend had cycled, shopped and got back before I had got on. I then had to take all my gear off again...Now that is hassle.

Steve

schumacher62

Reaction score
Visit site
helmet, gloves and armored jacket always. always a neon icon vest if heading out into traffic. always puma boots and armored bmw city pants, or armored cordura pants over street clothes. helmet is white, the way it should be.

i wanted a one piece as well. so i bought the olympia phantom in bright yellow. and wore it around the house a few times, and i have to say it is the most difficult and time consuming piece of clothing to put on i have every worn. it has so much powerful velcro on it, you cant make a move to fasten it up before it sticks to some other part its not supposed to stick to. and once inside, i felt like someone was grabbing me by the nape, with the neckline choking me uncomfortably. i could not get the neck to seal properly to its velcro attachment piece.

there is no question i had the right size, im 5'11" 165, and i ordered a large. i agonized over keeping it or sending it back, and in the end i sent it back. it was a great idea poorly executed i decided, and would not wear it enought to warrant $450. so im back to good pants which are easy to get into, and a quality jacket on top. and if i stop in somewhere on my way home from work, i dont look like a total ass dressed (not just in bright yellow) in a bright yellow one piece!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When I started this thread, the weather here in Vegas was still Hot Hot Hot, so my gear was a mesh jacket, gloves, boots, and helmet. I wore long pair of jeans during the summer, never shorts. Now, since the cold came along in October/November, I wear my textile riding pants with some padding and armour. I like it because not only does it provide protection, but some warmth from the cold. I have worn it everyday this winter. When I mean everyday, I mean I ride my bike seven days a week since it's my only ride. I have ridden my bike everyday since I have bought it almost a year ago, over 300 straight days. I have gotten use to wearing my riding pants so much, that I don't even bother taking them off at work. And when I don't have them on around the house, it kind of feels strange. So I have come to a conclusion regarding my gear; since I survived the extreme heat here in Vegas, up to 117 degrees wearing a jacket everytime, and have worn my pants everytime during the winter. Thats pretty much my gear. Full gear during the winter, and I ditch the pants during the summer.

H

HavBlue

Last summer I went up to Louisville to see Churchill Downs and the Kentucky Derby Museum. The temperature was supposed to be around 100F but the humidity was also to be high which generates what is know as a heat index. I got geared up, hit the road at about 7:30am and hauled butt all 110 miles to the museum. When I got there it was about 80F and I figured I wouldn't be there long. Yeah right, I spent 3+ hours there and when I came out it was a fish fry. On the was back home I stopped twice just to pump down a bottle of water as there simply wasn't any way to stay cool. I did however take a micro-fiber towel out from under the seat and soaked it with water. I wrapped it around my neck under the helmet and this helped out. Next time I'm taking the Harley....

B

Bo67

Last summer I went up to Louisville to see Churchill Downs and the Kentucky Derby Museum. The temperature was supposed to be around 100F but the humidity was also to be high which generates what is know as a heat index. I got geared up, hit the road at about 7:30am and hauled butt all 110 miles to the museum. When I got there it was about 80F and I figured I wouldn't be there long. Yeah right, I spent 3+ hours there and when I came out it was a fish fry. On the was back home I stopped twice just to pump down a bottle of water as there simply wasn't any way to stay cool. I did however take a micro-fiber towel out from under the seat and soaked it with water. I wrapped it around my neck under the helmet and this helped out. Next time I'm taking the Harley....

I know you got the humidity to deal with there. Out here when it's 105 in the summer I soak my shirt in the sink before leaving work and then ride with my sleeve zippers open for the ride home. It works like an evaporative cooler (swamp cooler is what we call them out here). I used to do the same thing when working on the flightline in New Mexico, Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan etc...). It works great as long as long as the outside humidity is low.

A refrigerated suit would be cool (pun, yes), and I think we have the collective knowledge in this forum to make it work between engineering, marketing and tax evasion (kidding). After we all make it big we could pay people part of out gazillion dollars to wash and wax our bikes in between rides;).

H

HavBlue

I know you got the humidity to deal with there. Out here when it's 105 in the summer I soak my shirt in the sink before leaving work and then ride with my sleeve zippers open for the ride home. It works like an evaporative cooler (swamp cooler is what we call them out here). I used to do the same thing when working on the flightline in New Mexico, Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan etc...). It works great as long as long as the outside humidity is low.

A refrigerated suit would be cool (pun, yes), and I think we have the collective knowledge in this forum to make it work between engineering, marketing and tax evasion (kidding). After we all make it big we could pay people part of out gazillion dollars to wash and wax our bikes in between rides;).

LMFAO that's a riot....... We need them desert cool suits like they had in the movie Dune....

B

Bo67

LMFAO that's a riot....... We need them desert cool suits like they had in the movie Dune....

Y'know after I posted this I thought of that movie too. Hope I don't get sued for copyright infringement!:thumbup:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ATGATT... I have all mesh for the hot days and textile/leather for the cold days. Different gloves for different weather... rain suit in in a backpack should I think I could get caught in any bad weather. Plus, the rain suit is GREAT wind protection if you're stuck out later than expected and it gets REALLY cold!!

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
if I am riding for the sake of riding, it is full gear, either leathers or textile jacket and pants (always helmet/gloves/boots), but if I am just going to school or to a friend's or family member's house, I will often skip the overpants. never ride with shorts though.

trampld

Reaction score
Visit site
I always wear a full face helmet, gloves, and a mesh jacket as the minimum

In cooler weather I also wear ballistic 5.0 pants, but they are just too much when it warms up, need to buy some mesh pants.

Still don't have a good pair of boots...need to do that.

So I did not cast a vote, because there was not a helmet, gloves and jacket option...

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wear full gear most often. Just brought home my new Dainese leather/DStone jacket. Hoping to pair it up some time this summer.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
ATGATT...period.

Here's a list of my gear:

JR Sonic 2.0 non-perf jacket
JR Sonic 2.0 PERF jacket
JR Speedmaster back protector
Tourmaster Apex Air leather pants
Cortech GX Air w/leather mesh jacket
Power Trip US Army Bravo gloves
Teknic Chicane leather gauntlet gloves
Oxtar TCS Sport boots (blue)
Alpinestars SMX boots (black)
Icon Field Armor Knee (for when I wear jeans)
T-pro Forcefield Shorts (again, for when I wear jeans)
HJC CL-15 helmet (blue)
Nolan N-100 Classic modular helmet (Titanium)