how fast u going at 5000 rpm 6th gear

Robmac

Reaction score
Visit site
One would think that a a speedo that reads high would make the odometer read high as well, but this is not the case.

I measured distance traveled on my odometer and compared it twice to the measured distance traveled on my GPS and it was bang on each time... I mean to the 10th of a KM after a 30 some KM ride.

I assume that Yamaha has designed the speedo to read high while the odometer reads correctly. (An odometer that reads 7% high might actually open them up to a class action lawsuit as the mileage traveled can effect maintenance costs and residual values)

Thank you I have been debating on starting a Thread for this. It always seems that I am going through a tank quicker than I should. So I thought that with the speedo off the Odo would be also. Are you sure about this? I think that may mean that I need to slow down on my riding...:BLAA:

Zargof

MSF Instructor
Reaction score
Visit site
I have 16/46 sprockets and when the speedometer says I am going 60 mph, I am at 4500 rpms. I have slightly worn stock sized tires. Is this going to cause issues?

DeepEmissions

SportBike No0b
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

At 5,000RPM I do exactly 100km/h. 6,000RPM roughly 119km/h.
Believe your Fazer may have stock gearing.
Lots of guys on the forum go for the 15T front conversion, gives it a bit more go.

I'm on the stock setup as well.

Did this post help?

[ ] Yes [ ] No

Same here, bone stock except for cosmetics, about 60MPH at 5000RPM

alittletoored

Reaction score
Visit site
One would think that a a speedo that reads high would make the odometer read high as well, but this is not the case.

I measured distance traveled on my odometer and compared it twice to the measured distance traveled on my GPS and it was bang on each time... I mean to the 10th of a KM after a 30 some KM ride.

I assume that Yamaha has designed the speedo to read high while the odometer reads correctly. (An odometer that reads 7% high might actually open them up to a class action lawsuit as the mileage traveled can effect maintenance costs and residual values)

This is a very valid argument. It is still kind of hard to beleive that a company would build in a percent error in such a vital system. However, this will make people slow down for fear of a ticket.

JTL

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know if it was already mentioned, but the bike's own speedometer should show always the same speed vs. gear even if you change the sprockets to any possible or impossible value as the pickup for the speedometer is in the gearbox. If you want to correct this value, Speedohealer (HealTech Electronics Ltd. - Makers of the SpeedoHealer, GIpro, X-TRE, FI Tuner Pro, OBD Tool) will help.

Concerning the built-in speed error in the speedometers, manufacturers must do so to avoid liabilities in cases of speeding.

Last edited:

Popeye70

Reaction score
Visit site
At 5000 RPMs, my bike does 92-95 kmh (tested today). I am approx. 75 kgs (78-80 with my riding gear), and the bike is 100% stock engine and drive line wise.

ssmotorcycle

The Emmy Winning Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know if it was already mentioned, but the bike's own speedometer should show always the same speed vs. gear even if you change the sprockets to any possible or impossible value as the pickup for the speedometer is in the gearbox. If you want to correct this value, Speedohealer (HealTech Electronics Ltd. - Makers of the SpeedoHealer, GIpro, X-TRE, FI Tuner Pro, OBD Tool) will help.

Concerning the built-in speed error in the speedometers, manufacturers must do so to avoid liabilities in cases of speeding.

I understood this to be the case as well

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, was does going to a 15T front sprocket do for the gas mileage? Does it impact it significantly? Thanks in advance.

At 5000 RPM you go the following distance in each of the respective gears 1 - 6.

16T - 16 Tooth Front
MPH - Miles traveled in 60 seconds at 5000RPM
23.06 - 0.384
33.71 - 0.562
42.18 - 0.703
49.24 - 0.821
55.16 - 0.919
60.61 - 1.010

15T - 15 Tooth Front
MPH - Miles traveled in 60 seconds at 5000RPM
21.62 - 0.360
31.60 - 0.527
39.55 - 0.659
46.16 - 0.769
51.71 - 0.862
56.82 - 0.947

As for actual mpg, there is so much more variability in how a person rides its hard to compare. If you connected a vacuum gauge to the engine and acquired the same load (not throttle position), I bet you could hit a sweet spot maybe even in 5th gear! High vacuum with lowest throttle setting should give good MPG.

Read This! RPM, Gear, Sprockets, Tire = Actual Speed!
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...ead-rpm-gear-sprockets-tire-actual-speed.html

Needless to say my speedo is dead on! Don't know about the odometer tho!

Last edited:

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I had to try this too.

61-62MPH @ 5,000 RPM on 6th
57-58MPH was the reading of my TomTom One

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thelostjs

Reaction score
Visit site
i just changed to a 17t front sprocket. i wanted to lower my highway cruise rpm for less wear and tear on the internals. i read this thread prior to ordering my sprocket, learning that it would correct for the factory "error" in the speedo was the deciding factor.

i about fell off the back of the motorcycle when i discovered that my speedo still read 60 at 5000rpm in 6th! i went back home and examinined the old sproc, counted the teeth. i was about to take the cover off to reread the stamped "17t". then, i caught myself. i had to explain to myself that,
the tach monitoring the engine only.
the speedo pickup monitoring the output shaft only.
the sprocket i added simply pulls more chain per revolution.
adding a tooth is perfect. best mod ever. just dont hang yourself when you find your tach in exactly the same place as before!
the fazer motor is so smooth and allaround-hppowertorquey that i could barely tell a difference in the lower 4 gears.

ps. watch this. 3minute video shows the inside of a bmw1000rr cylinder head during operation. i hear the good part starts around 1:30 http://youtu.be/nsa6kq-qqIE

pps. be sure you check your valve clearances at 26600 like the manual says.

Last edited: