how fast u going at 5000 rpm 6th gear

daletucker

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been riding as much as I can here lately and every time I go out I normally do around 60MPH or at least that is what my speedo shows and that is at 5000 RPM. Now does that sound about right? The reason I ask is because in traffic it seems that I have to do 65 to 70 just to keep up. Now are there a lot of people out there like me and speeding or since I bought my bike used did someone put a different sprocket set on here. The bike when I got it had a redneck exhaust on it and after market LED lights and such which I have removed and replaced with better things. Such as my Two Brothers aluminum exhaust and LED rear tail and so on. But enough of that. My biggest question I guess is HOW FAST AM I ACTUALLY GOING? LOL.
If anyone has factory rear sprocket could you tell me how many teeth you have on it so that I may compare.
Oh yea and the tires are the correct size, I should know I just bought and installed them. LOL

thank you thank you thank you
:thumbup:

Jacobien

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

At 5,000RPM I do exactly 100km/h. 6,000RPM roughly 119km/h.
Believe your Fazer may have stock gearing.
Lots of guys on the forum go for the 15T front conversion, gives it a bit more go.

I'm on the stock setup as well.

Did this post help?

[ ] Yes [ ] No

daletucker

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

At 5,000RPM I do exactly 100km/h. 6,000RPM roughly 119km/h.
Believe your Fazer may have stock gearing.
Lots of guys on the forum go for the 15T front conversion, gives it a bit more go.

I'm on the stock setup as well.

Did this post help?

[X] Yes [ ] No

I did have to do the conversion which would be roughly 62MPH at 5000 RPM. so again I do thank you.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, I'm right around 60-62 mph in 6th gear @5200 RPMs (stock sprockets).

But remember, even with stock sprockets, the speedo is still going to be off by anywhere from 6-10%. By using my GPS and seeing my actual speed, I've figured out that when I'm cruising along at 64 mph INDICATED, I'm actually doing 60 mph. The higher I go, the more off it gets (obviously, since it's a percentage).

If I'm on the Interstate, where the speed limit is 70 but everyone is cruising at 75 and I want to maintain 75 as well, my indicated speed is around 82-83 mph. It'll vary a bit for each bike, but once you get an idea of how much yours is off, it's easy to remember when you glance at the speedo.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
When you are in 6th gear your speedo should show 10 mph faster than each K * 10. example 5000 rpm shows 60mph. A little trick I learned was that 5th gear shows K * 10 as in example above 10 mph slower at 50 mph at 5000 rpm.

This helps alot figure out what gear I am in. I hate hunting for a 2nd 6th gear

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you can borrow a GPS, figure out the true speed vs indicated speed and put in a speedohealer or such.

I have stock gearing, the speedometer was initially reading high about 2 MPH at 50, its dead on now..

Robmac

Reaction score
Visit site
Stock 2008.

5K RPMS = 100 KM/H indicated on speedo

100 KM/H indicated on speedo = 93 KM/H on my GPS

10.0 KM on odo = 10.0 KM on GPS

(Speedo reads high, but odo is quite accurate).

Hope this helps,
Rob

alittletoored

Reaction score
Visit site
Stock 2008.

5K RPMS = 100 KM/H indicated on speedo

100 KM/H indicated on speedo = 93 KM/H on my GPS

10.0 KM on odo = 10.0 KM on GPS

(Speedo reads high, but odo is quite accurate).

Hope this helps,
Rob

Thank you I have been debating on starting a Thread for this. It always seems that I am going through a tank quicker than I should. So I thought that with the speedo off the Odo would be also. Are you sure about this? I think that may mean that I need to slow down on my riding...:BLAA:

phranK2k11

Chat Camper :)
Reaction score
Visit site
When you are in 6th gear your speedo should show 10 mph faster than each K * 10. example 5000 rpm shows 60mph. A little trick I learned was that 5th gear shows K * 10 as in example above 10 mph slower at 50 mph at 5000 rpm.

This helps alot figure out what gear I am in. I hate hunting for a 2nd 6th gear

I have also found this ^^ handy to determine which gear I'm in. It has saved me from digging for 7th a few times

Bri

Reaction score
Visit site
On my 2009 FZ6, with stock sprockets (16 and 46) I found that my speedo would indicate 60mph at ~4900 rpm. However, measured speed (from GPS and from radar) was only 56.1 mph. I found that a 17tooth sprocket in front makes my indicated speed match measured speed (again based on GPS with WAAS corrections and radar). Unfortunately this makes the odometer read about 5% low. Yamaha intentionally adds a +5% error to the speedometer but not the odometer. You can make one accurate but not both....

Since I'm not an aggressive rider I don't mind the 17 tooth sprocket on front -- it may even give me an extra mpg or 2.

daletucker

Reaction score
Visit site
I want to thank each and every one of you guys for everything! I am glad to hear that I am not the only person with this question. Seriously thank you all very much.
:BLAA:

pulverizer

Reaction score
Visit site
All stock, it appears the speedo reads about 10% high, so its pretty easy to just calculate on the fly when you look at what your speedo reads (since multiples of 10 are easy).
In my head I just subtract the first number on the speedo from the reading (45-4 = about 41MPH) there is never really a need to know my speed any more exact than within +/- 1MPH anyway.

Example:
Speedo @ 30MPH = 30-3 = 27MPH
Speedo @ 70MPH = 40-4 = 36MPH
Speedo @ 70MPH = 50-5 = 45MPH
Speedo @ 70MPH = 60-6 = 54MPH
Speedo @ 70MPH = 70-7 = 63MPH
Speedo @ 70MPH = 80-8 = 72MPH
Speedo @ 70MPH = 90-9 = 81MPH
Speedo @ 70MPH = 100-10 = 90MPH
Speedo @ 70MPH = 110-11 = 99MPH:eek:

Obviously this only results in a close estimate, not the exact speed, but should be close enough to avoid any speeding issues.