How Far You Can Go On A Low Fuel Light

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
I had to take my eldest son (Josh 12) to a fotball match last Sunday. The game was in a town 20 miles away from where I live. My reserve light had come on two days previously. No worries I had only done 12 miles.
We were in a bit of a rush and Josh didn't want to be late. I thought that I would fill up after the game on the return journey.
No I wouldn't, I ran out of petrol with only 31.2 miles showing on the trip counter. I wasn't exceeding the speed limit and I don't ride hard with passengers. I had a complete brain fart and didn't take into account the extra weight of Josh, or my panniers filled with water and medical kit.
I had to push my bike 1/4 mile to a petrol station in full gear and thermals. I was rather toastie lol. To top it off Josh's side got beaten 3-0.

Neil

Me thinks too many mince pies over the xmas period ;)

H

HavBlue

i was told that ur cluster will tell u how many more miles u have left once u hit reserve?

It's the opposite, the digital tach switches over to an odometer that tells you how far you have gone not how far you have left.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's the opposite, the digital tach switches over to an odometer that tells you how far you have gone not how far you have left.
+1, mine told me I did 31 miles then the mince pie effect took hold and she ran dry lol.

Last edited:
H

HavBlue

I want to say something between 30 and 40 miles. I think I put in around 4.8 gallons which is the most I have ever put in.

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Over 20 miles, but I pulled over to a gas station soon after that. I was too affraid that I would run out of gas riding two-up.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine came on as I hit the south side of Austin on I-35 in rush hour(s). Only a Texas will fully understand the I-35 rush hour part. I went all the way across town, about 15 miles, stop and go the whole way. I had ridden about 185 miles before it came on.

H

HavBlue

Mine came on as I hit the south side of Austin on I-35 in rush hour(s). Only a Texas will fully understand the I-35 rush hour part. I went all the way across town, about 15 miles, stop and go the whole way. I had ridden about 185 miles before it came on.

My son used to live on the north side of Austin just off I35. That place was a zoo.

Nooj

Reaction score
Visit site
The missus reckons on getting at least 30 miles out of reserve on her bike, though I've been on it and it's run out at 25 miles into reserve. That's not riding like a wuss either, she's usually somewhere around 90-100mph on her commute and seems to make no difference to fuel economy if she takes the motorway and dual carriage way or the fast twisty A and B roads.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The missus reckons on getting at least 30 miles out of reserve on her bike, though I've been on it and it's run out at 25 miles into reserve. That's not riding like a wuss either, she's usually somewhere around 90-100mph on her commute and seems to make no difference to fuel economy if she takes the motorway and dual carriage way or the fast twisty A and B roads.
30 miles is usually ok. After that you are walking lol.

Nel

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
43.5 Miles (70 km) for me on reserve. Finally ran out of gas. She was bone dry as I started it several times and got some short spurts to get me closer to the gas station. Still had to walk the bike for a short distance. Took in 4.95 gallons or 18.7 liters. 228 total miles (367 km) on the tank. Wonder how I get 5.1 gallons? That's our capacity.

cashcrzzy

Meandering Member
Reaction score
www.fz6-forum.com
VEGASRIDER : Did you have it set up on the center stand to fill it ???

My gas reading : 176 miles to turn light on only drove another 10 miles till fill up because boss was paying for gas .I was set up on center stand and tank would not take more than 4 gallons . that is 46.5 mpg ,This mileage was just after syncing the injectors and setting the base idle I can only hope this keeps up ... could I have gotten 36 more miles ???
Greg A. ;)

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great story! I've been 20 miles in but haven't run the tank dry without a fillup. 4.6 gallons on the center stand. I live in a fairly dense area thus gas stations are plentiful.

Thanks for being the test subject!

damnpoor

Reaction score
Visit site
conservative freeway speeds 75-80MPH

Where I'm from way in the north of Cali, conservative freeway speeds are 60-65. As I get further south (bay area) I notice the speeds rise to 75 or 80, and as you get even closer to L.A. you become the slow old man while driving at a brisk 85mph.

Does anyone notice a difference in mileage between sitting straight up and trying to hide behind the windscreen?

Scott64a

Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't had the backbone, (literally, lol,) to try the hide-behind-the-screen technique...

I know that I have gone 28 miles while flashing, and it took 3.6 gallons to fill her up on the center stand.
I always use the center stand to fill up, just like to be full I guess.

I guess 30 street miles is a pretty dependable estimate, and maybe I'd push it 25 miles on a highway at around 75-80mph.

Good thread!