How Far You Can Go On A Low Fuel Light

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
In such situations I've always wondered whether putting it in neutral or clutching it in will save gas?? I've ram once to 38 gallons on reserve and once to 41 when tank went dry.

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Last tank I really pushed it and was able to put 39.1 miles on reserve. I ended up putting 4.833 gallons in it at 188.1 miles on the tank (38.9mpg).

I always fill on the center stand and always fill it up to the top.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have been thinking about this from a slightly different angle.
IMO the digital fuel guage on the 2004 - 06 bikes is not accurate, as in the bars don't really correlate to true tank capacity.
So I have recently started looking at how many miles I get from full until my first bar is gone.
My best so far is 46.1 miles. I have run out of petrol on my last bar at 32 miles. I find that once the first bar has gone then the remainders disappear with alarming speed.
I fill up on the center stand, as many of you have said and fill my bike to about 1" from the filler top. To do this can take five minutes as the fuel settles. I have managed to get nearly four litres of fuel in from when the filler appears to be full.

Nelly

rickyrats

RICKYRATS
Reaction score
Visit site
Actually that's pretty good!!! Bet you won't do that again.... I have a question for all. I am new to this site. Does anyone know of good sites for accessories for an 08 FZ 6? Or how far back I can go for the parts to be compatible for the '08. The site I have checked are not that great for my bike. Thank You!!

J

jsteinb95

Actually that's pretty good!!! Bet you won't do that again.... I have a question for all. I am new to this site. Does anyone know of good sites for accessories for an 08 FZ 6? Or how far back I can go for the parts to be compatible for the '08. The site I have checked are not that great for my bike. Thank You!!

You would probably get more answers if you created a new thread, but I think there is already a thread about good sites and all.

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been thinking about this from a slightly different angle.
IMO the digital fuel guage on the 2004 - 06 bikes is not accurate, as in the bars don't really correlate to true tank capacity.
So I have recently started looking at how many miles I get from full until my first bar is gone.
My best so far is 46.1 miles. I have run out of petrol on my last bar at 32 miles. I find that once the first bar has gone then the remainders disappear with alarming speed.
I fill up on the center stand, as many of you have said and fill my bike to about 1" from the filler top. To do this can take five minutes as the fuel settles. I have managed to get nearly four litres of fuel in from when the filler appears to be full.

Nelly

I have found the same thing, the top half of the tank gets the better gas mileage. I tend to think it's because I like to try and over fill the tank, I don't stop till I see gas in the cap. I haven't tried the center stand trick, but I'll have to try it.

I've always wimped out at 10 miles, not knowing how far I could go and not wanting to push it. I get an average of 200 miles to a fill up, and that's with the 10 into the reserve. I'm glad to know that I could have gone further than I did, but glad I didn't try to go further than it could.

-PD

agmom98

Navy mom
Reaction score
www.agmom98.com
Last tank I really pushed it and was able to put 39.1 miles on reserve. I ended up putting 4.833 gallons in it at 188.1 miles on the tank (38.9mpg).

I always fill on the center stand and always fill it up to the top.

I have an '07 FZ6 in that same fast color: red. I'm averaging 52-53 mpg, with a good mix of riding, including interstate speeds and inner city speeds. So at 188 miles on the trip odometer, I would be putting in approx 3.5 gallons. Even on my last 7 day trip up into KS, MO, AR, OK this past week, with full Givi luggage, I was getting that same gas mileage. Wonder what the difference is?