How do i remove the sump?

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
Yea gonna spend loads of time trying to get every last bit out, i can buy new clutch plates but after seeing the different pattern i was worried and found a 2nd hand clutch bascket with plates all assembled ready to fit for just £60 so i was contenplating that.

I didnt think of the break cleaner i will try that to.

Gonna try give it the best chance possible to come back to life

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The brake cleaner won't leave any residue, will wash off the oil (if enough used) and make those little pieces easier to drop out with the help of gravity and some air blown about. Just make sure its good and dry before you button it up.

With all the cleaning of oil and gravity draining most every drop, remember when you initially start the engine, its starting dry. if you can crank it a little without it starting (get some OIL PRESSURE / volume) in the system would be good.

Randy or Cliff can chime in about cranking the engine WITH THE IGNITION/fuel supply disabled so it won't start for the first couple of cranks.

I'm NOT sure, if cranking with the throttle wide OPEN, will keep the engine from starting.. Again, just for the initial cranking, filling the oil lines, etc..

Good luck..

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes that was my next concern after having the engine stripped. will have to look into cranking the engine. assuming removing the plugs would also work but that seems quite involved, or just pulling the leads of the plugs?

But i will cross that bridge when i get there, still got me some cleaning to do

lukaledoux

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm getting a lot of noise from the bottom of the engine around the sump and i suspect the oil pump chain. Do you know how difficult it is to replace the chain and how to tell if it needs replacing?

You want to check your oil pump chain why your there. There's no adjustment for it and a lose pump chain will make a bunch of noise.

You should be able to replace it (if need be) with what you have already have off...

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm getting a lot of noise from the bottom of the engine around the sump and i suspect the oil pump chain. Do you know how difficult it is to replace the chain and how to tell if it needs replacing?

Unless the chain is striking something its not likely the source. The most likely reason for it to be loose is something ran through it. Even at best, chains are very happy when somewhat loose.

Any chance you blew the clutch up?

Just winging it here but something like this.
Sump off
RS clutch cover off
Clutch assembly off
Water pump off
Drop the pump
Snake the chain out

IME - its very unlikely. It has a constant load on it, its well lubed, so unless something ran through it, a well lubed chain is the last component I'd expect to here noise from. I'd be looking for something else.

From: http://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/48071-broken-my-gears.html
IMG_0915_zps59fd8b2f.jpg

IMG_0920_zpse044c192.jpg

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Besides the above information, the oil pump chain runs off a gear on the back of the larger clutch hub. As noted above, remove the clutch cover, you'll see a chain going straight downwards to the oil pump. The oil pump actually drive the shaft for the external water pump so that'll give you an idea where to look

You can likely, at that point, simply reach in with a thin screw driver and try moving the chain about.

If it slops around a bunch, the aluminum case around it is obviously worn from the chain rubbing up against it, you'll need to go deeper for R&R. I believe the oil pan has to come off, the main entire clutch and you'll have access to the pump and chain.

Using Randy's pic, below, your looking at the engine with the oil pan off.

If you look all the way to the right side, you'll see the water pump. Just to the left, you'll see a loose chain (the oil pump chain) and then a large sprocket(for that chain). Just past that to the left is the oil pump itself...

Double click to enlarge.

Last edited: