How do i remove the sump?

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys. as per my other thread regarding my engine sounding like it ate stones on this link:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/49324-engine-sounds-like-ate-stones.html

I have started to strip the bike to see what i can find, i got all headers off and all the sump bolts removed but i am unable to get the bottom end of the sump to drop off. i can get slight side to side movement but cant get it to go, any tips?

Need to get it off to get out the broken clutch plates that i assume are in there

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
Nah greg that was my next approach. I did try a normal claw hammer with a rag on the end as not to damage sump. But i was to scared of doing any damage. Need to go buy a rubber mallet and have another go

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys. as per my other thread regarding my engine sounding like it ate stones on this link:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/49324-engine-sounds-like-ate-stones.html

I have started to strip the bike to see what i can find, i got all headers off and all the sump bolts removed but i am unable to get the bottom end of the sump to drop off. i can get slight side to side movement but cant get it to go, any tips?

Need to get it off to get out the broken clutch plates that i assume are in there

There's ONE BOLT recesssed in the middleish of the pan (I can't see it on mine with the header on), that needs to come out..

The pan will fall off after that.. And please, put the hammer away...

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
haha i was just about to re-post i found another thread and i didnt know of the middle bolt!!!

Wooo now i dont need the rubber mallet lol as for the claw hammer that is the british mans screw driver they say LOL

Cheers guys, sump is coming off, will take pics of the inside for any one interested

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
It was my fault in my first post i said i had taken all the bolts out when i had actually missed the hidden one lol

hopefully have the sump off after work today to see the damage

if it dont work i will pretend its a ducati clutch rattle + 30bhp you know

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Cast parts don't like hammers!!!! Should this be needed; a block of soft wood in between and make sure the block covers a LARGE AREA!!!

Kingy
Why are you dropping the pan?

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
Yea i didnt want to start hitting parts with hammer and didnt want to try prising the parts appart as i didnt want to do any damage to the cast parts and cause a fortune so i thought i would resort to the forum :)

As per the link i posted. one morning my clutch imploded into the engine and made some nasty noises. had clutch removed by garage and found clutch plates had shattered and made their way into engine so now im dropping pan to clean them out and run seom fresh oil and see what happens, fingers crossed it hasnt damaged anything else

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yea i didnt want to start hitting parts with hammer and didnt want to try prising the parts appart as i didnt want to do any damage to the cast parts and cause a fortune so i thought i would resort to the forum :)

As per the link i posted. one morning my clutch imploded into the engine and made some nasty noises. had clutch removed by garage and found clutch plates had shattered and made their way into engine so now im dropping pan to clean them out and run seom fresh oil and see what happens, fingers crossed it hasnt damaged anything else

Just an FYI, the shop I frequent for tires had an R6 with expolded clutch friction plates. The fragments got thru out the engine and locked it up. (the bike was admittedly beat on often). They had to pull the engine out of the frame and pick pieces out from inbetween a bunch of different gears(upside down).

Being you not pulling the engine, I'd scroung up an air compressor and a good flashlight and start blowing, moving some of the shafts (at the same time) and get inbetween the gears themselves.. The shop was literally plucking clutch pieces jambed inbetween different gears...

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for info, the bad news is that yes my FZ also got beat on bad. but good news the engine hasnt seized and still runs, and actually sounds better now then it did on day 1, the rattle is not there on tick over only upon rev. i will drop sump and get the larger bits of clutch plate out. will get in there with torch and see what i can find without dropping the engine out the frame. Hopefully i can save her

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You want to check your oil pump chain why your there. There's no adjustment for it and a lose pump chain will make a bunch of noise.

You should be able to replace it (if need be) with what you have already have off...

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd opt for replacing the oil pump chain if there is ANY DOUBT what so ever about debris being ran through it. Should it let go later it could have HUGE consequences. Plus I don't think it can be inspected well enough in place to say its 100% OK. Also I'd want to inspect the oil pump and pick up.

Only time I've seen a wet clutch blow was the cage let go. That was not an implode of any kind, more an explode! I can't picture what let go in your engine.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd opt for replacing the oil pump chain if there is ANY DOUBT what so ever about debris being ran through it. Should it let go later it could have HUGE consequences. Plus I don't think it can be inspected well enough in place to say its 100% OK. Also I'd want to inspect the oil pump and pick up.

Only time I've seen a wet clutch blow was the cage let go. That was not an implode of any kind, more an explode! I can't picture what let go in your engine.

On the engine I saw, the clutch basket and and inner were fine, the frictions let loose big time.. Lots of burn outs, etc do take their toll...

For the OP, you should be able to see and touch just the edge of the chain has it hangs down. if you can move it to where its hitting the block, (or again if in doubt), just replace it, its cheap enough and your already there..

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
On the engine I saw, the clutch basket and and inner were fine, the frictions let loose big time.. Lots of burn outs, etc do take their toll...

For the OP, you should be able to see and touch just the edge of the chain has it hangs down. if you can move it to where its hitting the block, (or again if in doubt), just replace it, its cheap enough and your already there..

Poring loots of cheap oil through it wouldn't be a bad idea either. Also might want to stock up on oil filters and find a magnetic drain plug.

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
cheers guys for all the input, yes the clutch plates actually gave in, the basket seems fine but i havent properly inspected that as i will be buy a new / good used one anyway

yea the chain looks good i was checking that yesterday, and moving it around, no damage on chain and look in good condition. as do all the gears and drums and everything i can see inside on the crank, nothing jammed and no visable damage to crank or anything like that,

yea i am getting loads of cheap(er) oil to run through a megnetic drain plug is on its way and new filter. gonna cycle loads and see what happens, cant see any other damage other then digging out little bits of clutch plate and lots of clutch fragments ( tiny bits of crushed and fractured clutch plate dust )

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
cheers guys for all the input, yes the clutch plates actually gave in, the basket seems fine but i havent properly inspected that as i will be buy a new / good used one anyway

yea the chain looks good i was checking that yesterday, and moving it around, no damage on chain and look in good condition. as do all the gears and drums and everything i can see inside on the crank, nothing jammed and no visable damage to crank or anything like that,

yea i am getting loads of cheap(er) oil to run through a megnetic drain plug is on its way and new filter. gonna cycle loads and see what happens, cant see any other damage other then digging out little bits of clutch plate and lots of clutch fragments ( tiny bits of crushed and fractured clutch plate dust )

That's exactly what the mechanic at the shop was doing. Doing what your doing is good but you have to get all those fibers out, if the oil filter catches them great. If they jam up an oil line somehwere, you'll have a failure of some sort.

In addition to using an air compressor, IMHO, I'd pick up a bunch of brake cleaner and hose down (from underneath) the engine, blowing it out at the same time. A magnetic drain plug will NOT GRAB those fibers...

The brake cleaner will remove the oil (that the fibers are sticking to). Slowly turn the engine/gears and continue doing the same. Hopefully you'll get most if not all of the fibers.

If the clutch basket looks fine, no notches on the edges, I'd leave it, there's nothing wrong with it.

BTW, the new clutch plates go in a certain way(and order), and there are MARKS on the outer clutch plate (that the springs and screws go thru) that MUST LINE UP.

Last edited: