Honda releases the 2010 VFR1200

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
:rockon::thumbup:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/625/4795/Motorcycle-Article/2010-Honda-VFR1200F-First-Look.aspx

Check out the dual clutch design!!! awesome!!

090909top.jpg

fast blue one

The number of the beast
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There's no definite price in the UK as yet but the rumoured prices circa £13k are scary.

Honda UK have been running a competition with the prize being 3 days all expenses paid test riding it in Spain................. well i can live in hope can't I ?

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
There's no definite price in the UK as yet but the rumoured prices circa £13k are scary.

Honda UK have been running a competition with the prize being 3 days all expenses paid test riding it in Spain................. well i can live in hope can't I ?

Good luck!

About the price... it sounds a bit high indeed, but if you look at all the goodies that are included, it was to be expected!

Travis, you may not like the look, but did you check all the goodies? V4, semi or automatic transmission using the trick dual clutch, shaft drive, new crankshaft design eliminating the need for a counterbalancer, comes with saddlebags...etc... sounds like an awesome sport-touring machine to me...

I actually think it looks nice and clean!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Been waiting to see this bike and I think it will appeal to a wide group but...I'm still trying to get my head around the weight. I guess it's okay when considering it as more a touring bike and I think this bike will be a great handling bike. Techno advances are awesome and I think the power delivery will be great.

You hear so many people trying to express why one bike is better than another based on peak HP or weight etc. But the proof is really how the technology all works together. That's the Yamaha credo "Condo" (sp?)

Nice Bike!

Cliff

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think this bike is a "signpost" as to what we can expect from Sports Tourers in the near future, more automation, more user friendly, more safety conscious, whilst still trying to maintain the true spirit of motorcycling...good on Honda for stepping out, and releasing such a 'new" bike....

The VFR's have a great heritage....this could be their step back into the limelight with the consumate "Sports Tourer"...like the VFR used to be known as, in the 90's....

:thumbup:

fizz_off

Reaction score
Visit site
Yawwwwnnnn....

I think the FJR1500AE http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelfeatures/501/0/features.aspx is what this VFR is aspiring to be; automatic, shmoautomatic :) Here's what I'd rather have: "Another Yamaha first: a computer operated clutch and electronic shift actuators eliminate the need to operate the clutch. Yamaha Chip Control Shifting snaps off clean up- and downshifts every time using either the left bar-mounted paddles or the low-effort foot shifter." (from the FJR1300AE "Features" section).

I'm not so sure it's the "shifting" that gets to everyone so much as having to "clutch" so much...this offers shifting W/O having to use the clutch (although it can be used if desired).

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As the owner of a bike with a Fugly muffler I am uniquely qualified to comment, that is on UGLY muffler! It's like a mix of a Vmax and the new Aprilia, yuck!

But I do like the overall look of the bike.

Chris

GO!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
They should come up with a 800cc V4-powered superbike.. That would give Suzuki and Ducati some serious competition in the middleweight segment!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They should come up with a 800cc V4-powered superbike.. That would give Suzuki and Ducati some serious competition in the middleweight segment!

Now that would be sweet...the GSXR750 is one very sweet bike, under rated cause it's not a big 1000cc beast, but more than deadly in the right hands....

Even better,Honda builds an 800cc V5...doing the Moto GP rep thing!

:rockon:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
nice looking bike, but it is almost in insult to riders to bring back the Automatic from the days of the Hondamatic's

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
nice looking bike, but it is almost in insult to riders to bring back the Automatic from the days of the Hondamatic's

Some people like to have the "EFFORT" taken out of the equation for them...this is why automatic cars are everywhere..

But i am with you.....sorta goes against the grain of what bikes are about a little.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Some people like to have the "EFFORT" taken out of the equation for them...this is why automatic cars are everywhere..

But i am with you.....sorta goes against the grain of what bikes are about a little.

if you don;t have enough skill to shift then you certainly don;t have enough to deal with the rest of the enhanced riding/driving capabilities needed to safely operate a motorcycle. it is almost like buying an automatic Ferrari...

Ravenfz09

Reaction score
Visit site
if you don;t have enough skill to shift then you certainly don;t have enough to deal with the rest of the enhanced riding/driving capabilities needed to safely operate a motorcycle. it is almost like buying an automatic Ferrari...

so i guess people with certain disabilities or women that dont want to shift, but still want to ride cant ride?

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
eh, new styling isn't for me at the moment, but I am sure I will get used to it and actually might like it if I continue looking at it long enough. Except for that exhaust, I agree with Hellgate, it is UGLY.

As a VFR owner of 4 months, I am really sorry to see the current VFR go. The vfr was always a sport touring bike to me, but now that the motor up-ed in size, and is now shaft driven, I see it as more a full touring motorcycle. Not a bad thing I suppose, but very different from my 1995 VFR. Anyways, cudos to honda for their technical advances on the new VFR.

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I just finished reading 6 different test reviews of this bike from a Honda presser in Sugo, Japan last Friday. Every single review concurred on 4 points:

1- The DCT (auto transmission) works flawlessly. It has two auto-shift modes, and a manual paddle operated interface. This feature has been engineered to perfection, and every review raved about it without reservation.

2- The motor is strong and smooth, plenty of real world power down as low as 4000 RPM. The exhaust/intake sound signature was a unique tone and several reviews said it sounded like a radial aircraft engine.

3- The event was held at a race track, kind of unusual for a sport-touring bike debut. However, all of the accounts I read claimed that the bike felt great at track speed, with the 600 lbs weight having less influence on handling than expected. The shaft drive system did not display the usual "jacking" effect of other bikes using this type of final drive.

4- Styling opinions aside, every journalist noted the quality, fit and finish of the final product. I know that some individuals don't care for the large exhaust can or the layered fairing application, but that is to argued elsewhere. The estimates I read say a MSRP around $18,000 USD is pretty accurate, with a March 2010 release.

The only issue I want to resolve is the riding range from the 4.9 gallon tank. If the VFR1200 can get at least 40 MPG during highway use I will buy this bike.