Versys 1000 to make it's debut in 2012

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Being as this will be my bikes adopted big brother, thought i'd share an article or two with all of ya and see what you think...
2012 Kawasaki Versys 1000 First Look - Motorcycle USA
images

I have mixed views of it myself... More oomph in a Versys is a appetizing thought but being a I4 instead of a parallel twin, is it still a Versys?
The powerplant they put in it is out of the z1000 and tuned it for lower end power (like the Versys 650 and how they did with the r6 engine in the Fazer).
Offroad... not for me.... 650cc's is plenty of horsepower for offroad, there's no reason to have more HP than that offroad imo lol.

That being said the I4 will most certainly be heavier than the P-twin, which brings up my next iffy, how will the handling be affected? I love how you can flick my little V around, it's like riding a mosquito (don't try it at home kids), sure 100+ hp is something to giggle at but will it retain the flickability?
Kawasaki Versys 1000
Also not sure when/if it will come to the states, but i believe it's 100% confirmed on the Euro and canadian 2012 rosters :rockon:

Time will tell, lemme know what you guys think :thumbup:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think they're trying to have a contender for adventure touring market. Of course it won't be as flickable as 650. The idea is to compete with Super Ten and big GS bikes.. at least I think that's the plan.

It doesn't look as good as current 650, imo, but as always looks are subjective.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I guess I don't get the "Adventure" thing.

17" wheels, street tires and a heavy bike don't make a good off-road combination. :confused:

What am I missing?

To me an "Adventure" bike would be a bike 650cc thumper with a huge gas tank that weighs in at about 350 lbs, not 550 lbs, and has a tire that can actually go off-road.

Sparkybean

Reaction score
Visit site
I read an article about it. Kawasaki did some research into how many people with adventure bikes actually use them off road and it is not many.

They saw a gap in the market where people want the upright riding position of an adventure bike and the versatility but with the performance of an inline 4. I must admit when I had a veestrom I used to sometimes think 'I wish I had a fazer engine in this'!

I personally think it looks disgusting I prefer the smaller versys looks wise much more. I also think they did it because they were missing out on the massively booming adventure bike market but tried to avoid the development cost of a new large twin engine due to the economy.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I guess I don't get the "Adventure" thing.

17" wheels, street tires and a heavy bike don't make a good off-road combination. :confused:

What am I missing?

More comfortable upright seating position and long travel suspension to soak up less than perfect north american roads... I could ride that thing longer in one sitting than my FZ6....

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
I think they're trying to have a contender for adventure touring market. Of course it won't be as flickable as 650. The idea is to compete with Super Ten and big GS bikes.. at least I think that's the plan.

It doesn't look as good as current 650, imo, but as always looks are subjective.

Felt the same about the 650 when i first saw it, i thought "i couldn't be seen in public riding that" but it grows on you, at least for me it did, the 2010's + look a bit better than 1st gens but thats all opinion lol

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
I read an article about it. Kawasaki did some research into how many people with adventure bikes actually use them off road and it is not many.

They saw a gap in the market where people want the upright riding position of an adventure bike and the versatility but with the performance of an inline 4. I must admit when I had a veestrom I used to sometimes think 'I wish I had a fazer engine in this'!

I personally think it looks disgusting I prefer the smaller versys looks wise much more. I also think they did it because they were missing out on the massively booming adventure bike market but tried to avoid the development cost of a new large twin engine due to the economy.

I think your right about the gap in the market... Also agree that i think it looks hideous in respect to the 650... and they stuck one of those awful EPA mufflers on it :(

Dunno, think the FZ1 will still be my next bike, or the FZ6 depending on my mood :D

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
More comfortable upright seating position and long travel suspension to soak up less than perfect north american roads... I could ride that thing longer in one sitting than my FZ6....

How ya liking the Strom? Friend just bought a 2011 and got a chance to ride it, very nice bike!