Help!! My first oil change- by myself.

jfz6

Not Here Enough
Premium Member
Reaction score
web.mac.com
All my posts start with HELP!!!

I am about to go change my oil. Went out yesterday and bought everything that I though that I needed. I am trying to find the picture by picture thread on how to do it. For some reason taking of my rims and chain for tire changes don't scare me but this one does.

Can anyone give me that link or a link to the step by step?

Also- no one at the local shop said anything about a torque wrench????

Any help would be appreciated.

Help,
J.

jfz6

Not Here Enough
Premium Member
Reaction score
web.mac.com
Ummmm....yea. I am not very good at mechanical things nor am I good at doing searches on the internet either. Thanks for the link but it returned a thread with 101 pages!!!!!.

Can I just guess at this whole torque thing? I didn't do anything like them when changing my tires.

Last edited:

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Ummmm....yea. I am not very good at mechanical things nor am I good at doing searches on the internet either. Thanks for the link but it returned a thread with 104 posts.

Your point? Not very good at reading either?

The only way to get good at things is to 'practice' them.

Tremulant

It's not over...
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't worry man! I changed my oil for the first time this year, and it's a lot easier than it sounds! Don't worry too much about the torque, just make sure you tighten that bolt as much as you feel comfortable with, and just watch it when you fill the oil and on your next couple of rides. It's a long process our first time, but it gets much easier, and it's SO worth it.

Oh, and if you don't already have a torque wrench, then you should go buy a set asap. They're pretty standard for anyone's basic garage :thumbup:

bikerider

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ummmm....yea. I am not very good at mechanical things nor am I good at doing searches on the internet either. Thanks for the link but it returned a thread with 104 posts.

Can I just guess at this whole torque thing? I didn't do anything like them when changing my tires.

In that link i posted, click to page 4 and there is the info and pics for a oil change.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Yeah there is no need for a touque wrench for doing an oli change. Everyone seems to freak out over touque specs. It's an oil drain plug, not a crank shaft bolt. Tight is tight enough for this bolt.

Oil filters don't need to be anything more than hand tight....EVER! (someone needs to tell my dealership service department this as the last time they put one on, I think they used an impact driver and did it up to 100ft lbs!)
1. Unscrew drain plug and drain oil
2. unscrew oil filter
3. smear some fresh oil on gasket of new oil filter and screw back on - hand tight
4. put oil drain plug back in, tighten and fill with new oil

There is nothing more to it than this.

jfz6

Not Here Enough
Premium Member
Reaction score
web.mac.com

Dear god man!!! WTF??? I thought an oil change was one of the easiest things to do on a bike. O- rings, torque, environment, which circle of hell hath Dante taken me too?

I bought 4 liters of oil as well!!! The last time I had it changed they charged me for 4 litres!!!

Now you see why all my posts start with HELP!!!!

You can't trust the dealers or local shops and if you don't know how to do it yourself- thank god for FZ6-Forum.com!!!!!

I remember a popular thread where a guy posted step by step pictures including everything like putting cardboard on the floor, tinfoil over the exhaust, etc.

Any help- everytime I do a search I get the same page I was on as my results.

If this turns into a six hour job like the first time I changed my own tires my girlfriend will kill me.

I had better go cut the grass first :) Because I have to drive 40 miles just to get my tools. Yeaaa.

jfz6

Not Here Enough
Premium Member
Reaction score
web.mac.com
Every read the story of the boy who always cried wolf.....? Maybe all your posts should start with SEARCH instead....:thumbup:

Yea. I am not doing something right. I work as an EMT and going to school as a paramedic and I have no problem with saving most dying people and keeping them stable for the surgeons but working on my bike or searching for a specific topic- not good at that.

Search____ " How to do an oil change "
Result_____ Same page I started out on.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i htink what scares me is.. "im not good at mechanics" yet your first post you take your rear tire off???? if your not good, then i wouldnt suggest taking the rear tire off :)

oh and remember, your oil bolt should be finger tight, then about 1/8-1/4 turn tighter.. good luck :)

jfz6

Not Here Enough
Premium Member
Reaction score
web.mac.com
Every read the story of the boy who always cried wolf.....? Maybe all your posts should start with SEARCH instead....:thumbup:

Hey buddy- I am in a bind here. This is a place to help people. Teach me how to search properly before you start making me feel even more foolish.

Mean Boneman- Bad Boneman:spank:

Thanks anyway!!!! I am sure I will be laughing at someone one day as well.