HELP! Can't get bars off!

srghyc

Reaction score
Visit site
Need help. I'm swapping out the stock handlebars on my 2009. I've got all the controls and stuff off and I'm ready to loosen the 4 bolts on the center clamp. These 4 bolts clamping the bars down will NOT budge. I'm just using a standard socket set and as I start to turn the socket it just spins upward and off the bolt head. The bars/clamp piece/bolts are clean and no sign of rust or stripping of the bolt heads. Is there a special type of socket or something? Am I not strong enough? :confused:

mattwitt

Reaction score
Visit site
I remember when I put my risers on they bolts kind of popped when they came loose then I could almost finish removing them with just my fingers.. Not sure if its thread lock compound or what but mine did come loose without the socket popping off..

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Make sure you use a six point socket or better yet, a 6 point wrench.

Make sure the steering is turned and locked fully to the left stop.

Make sure it fits fairly snug. Lefty loosy!!

If the tool is worn/loose, pitch it..

srghyc

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I got the job done. It turns out there was nothing funny about the bolts. The problem was that my old socket set is crap. Went to the hardware store and got a proper socket and wrench. They came loosened up no problem. Lesson learned that sometimes it might be time for tool upgrades and stop trying to use junk.:thumbup:

Diggy22

Reaction score
Visit site
Not trying to steal your thread, however I plan on doing this soon. I have never hanged bars, how do you get the left grip off? I assume the right side just slides off as it is the throttle tube but is there any tips you can provide?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Not trying to steal your thread, however I plan on doing this soon. I have never hanged bars, how do you get the left grip off? I assume the right side just slides off as it is the throttle tube but is there any tips you can provide?

While the old bars are still installed;

Remove the bar ends on both sides (important!).

If you have an air compressor, stick the tip of the A/C in the end of the grip (between the bar/grip OR tube and grip) and use air to help separate the two.

If not, a thin screw driver in the the end CAREFULLY, along with some say WD40 (with the straw) squirted in-between while turning should loosen it up.

For the throttle side, make sure you turn the grip forward(stop position-keeps excess strain off the cable)

Make sure you clean ALL the WD40 off the inside of the grips before re-installing..

Take your time and and they'll come off W/O damage..

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A variant grip removal process;

Using an piece of wire or old coat hanger, cut a straight section about 1.5X longer than the grip. Lay the wire over the grip so it hangs past the bar end (make sure its long enough), then bend a sharp 90°.
About girp diameter or so down from last bend, bend another 90° forming a crankshaft. Insert the long section between grip and bar and start cranking. The action will lead you around the bar unseating the grip as you crank.
Using IPA (isopropyl alcohol) if reusing the grip; squirt it in generously and crank the crank while pulling the grip.

Dish detergent should work also.

srghyc

Reaction score
Visit site
What bars did you end up with? I want new bars as well. :)

I bought Renthal Road Ultra-Lows. In gold. To add some bling. I'll post pictures in this thread tonight, hopefully.

I haven't been able to ride much because it's snowing here in St. Louis. I did get a quick test ride in and I like the added leverage and feeling of control. The stock bars weren't too uncomfortable for me as others have claimed. The Renthals are slightly wider, with a lot less down and back sweep. Like I said, they give me more leverage, better feeling of stability and control.