Helmet stolen - Majorly pissed off

Who can I really blame?

• Myself, for not taking better care of my helmet.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Myself, for not securing it better.

Votes: 13 14.8%
  • Myself, for not fitting an alarm.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • This stuff just happens.....

Votes: 52 59.1%
  • Someone wants to steal your bike! (Conspiracy!)

Votes: 8 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to double post here, but heres my new helmet!
kriswithak-albums-general-photos-picture5056-my-new-xr-1000-shoei-helmet.jpg

My GF pointed out the light grey viney parts where a bit girly, but I quickly informed her that was to take the edge off the awesome graphics. I mean people could die of fright just looking at me otherwise!

That's an awesome lid.....Love the Graphics....

Nice job!

:rockon:

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks! The only feature that I thought wasnt amazing was that vent on the chin, and mainly because its not all that elegant in white on white plastic.

The red stripe though definately matches, its just a shame the rest of my gear is so hodge podge!

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I scoured your post over and over looking for the tongue in cheek icon but didn't see it.

The entire rant is "tounge in cheek." Unfortunately, I know, there are probably some bleeding-heart ones out there who would even condone vandalisim and claim it is "necessary release" for somebody who is depressed because he/she doesn't get to own an FZ6.

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
The entire rant is "tounge in cheek." Unfortunately, I know, there are probably some bleeding-heart ones out there who would even condone vandalisim and claim it is "necessary release" for somebody who is depressed because he/she doesn't get to own an FZ6.

So true, theres always a few like that, who will excuse anything because of someones disfortune/circumstances/birth etc.
They never consider the fact most people face the same issues and get on with life, and then SUFFER from the losers who apparently can't. (and I use losers in the totally politically correct way - you know the totally useless waste of space people in society, who apparently are like that because of society)
I thought I saw a hint of sarcasm there, but I got in trouble the other day for seeing it via a txt where apparently it wasn't and I'm being careful now :p

Oh and don't worry about hurting my feelings, when people say nasty stuff about me I know they are always joking, because everyone loves me.....

Uh........

Right guys?
:confused:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So true, theres always a few like that, who will excuse anything because of someones disfortune/circumstances/birth etc.
They never consider the fact most people face the same issues and get on with life, and then SUFFER from the losers who apparently can't. (and I use losers in the totally politically correct way - you know the totally useless waste of space people in society, who apparently are like that because of society)
I thought I saw a hint of sarcasm there, but I got in trouble the other day for seeing it via a txt where apparently it wasn't and I'm being careful now :p

Oh and don't worry about hurting my feelings, when people say nasty stuff about me I know they are always joking, because everyone loves me.....

Uh........

Right guys?
:confused:

LOL! Your ok for a Sydneysider! :scared:

Joshua Redman

Reaction score
Visit site
Kriswithak,

sorry to hear for your helmet but it seems to me you found a got yourself a decent replacement :thumbup: Nice graphics, makes me wanna buy one of those asap :)

edski

Reaction score
Visit site
K: nice lid! I've had few Shoei's and they are top quality helmets with nice liners and good fit.

I have a Kryptonite plastic-coated heavy cable with integrated lock that I use to lock my helmet/jacket to the frame of my FZ6 ('08 Cobalt) when, in my travels, I have no place else safe to put them. I put the cable through the frame, loop up over the seat - through an arm of the jacket which passes through the FF helmet viewport - and connects back to the lock.

Then I slap on the screamer disc brake lock, and throw the old, generic, dirty-looking cover over the whole deal.

Even a random urinator has to do a good deal of work to reveal and fill my helmet! ;)

As many others here have said, you can just try your best to discourage thieves or vandals. BTW: someone here mentioned a 'skateboard under the disc-locked front wheel' method that hit me like a ton of bricks. Of course, mine would be screaming, hopefully.

An inherent trait of probably all who choose to steal is laziness. Just try to make your stuff 'too much work to steal' so they look for something easier.

Dunno

Reaction score
Visit site
Bummer to hear about the theft Kris :( Nice replacement though.
Maybe look at buying on of those back packs that take a helmet? Not sure of the brand but it might be a Kriega?
You hang that beautiful Shoei off your bike & I will cut it off myself :D

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Bummer to hear about the theft Kris :( Nice replacement though.
Maybe look at buying on of those back packs that take a helmet? Not sure of the brand but it might be a Kriega?
You hang that beautiful Shoei off your bike & I will cut it off myself :D

Haha tell me about it!
I can just fit it in the seat bag for carrying around I have but then there is no room for anything else, no biggy though since I can stuff my jacket into one of the tiny lockers at work and leave my bag in the office, or wear it if I'm just out and about on the bike.
I always use my chain + disc lock too, gives me a little peice of mind that no one would be able to get the bike without some serious welding or sawing (altho the chain is meant to be saw proof)
If I see any kids transporting a bike by skateboard I'll know the correct response! :sinister:

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Haha tell me about it!
I can just fit it in the seat bag for carrying around I have but then there is no room for anything else, no biggy though since I can stuff my jacket into one of the tiny lockers at work and leave my bag in the office, or wear it if I'm just out and about on the bike.
I always use my chain + disc lock too, gives me a little peice of mind that no one would be able to get the bike without some serious welding or sawing (altho the chain is meant to be saw proof)
If I see any kids transporting a bike by skateboard I'll know the correct response! :sinister:

If you are worried about stuff going walkies from the locker room thingy....get another disc lock/screamer and use it in your bag.

I use mine on my swag when I'm camping and am away from the swag fishing.:thumbup: Make it so people can't see it though.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This may have already been mentioned, since there have been so many replies to this thread, But.............

Just because it's locked would you leavy any valuables inside a car? Camera, $500 Cash, Ipod, etc?

Some may say yes, and some would say no. If you are too lazy to take it with you, there will always be the possiblity thay it might dissapear.

So you should not be surprised. You are the one taking the risk and only have yourself to blame. We don't live in a perfect society.

JayJay

Reaction score
www.maverickrenegades.com
I don't even leave my lid locked to the bike to pay for petrol. Hear too many stories of wankers cutting and running.

Knowing I cant replace a lid at the spare of the moment and my second helmet is not the most ideal.... I don't leave it to chance.

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
This may have already been mentioned, since there have been so many replies to this thread, But.............

Just because it's locked would you leavy any valuables inside a car? Camera, $500 Cash, Ipod, etc?

Some may say yes, and some would say no. If you are too lazy to take it with you, there will always be the possiblity thay it might dissapear.

So you should not be surprised. You are the one taking the risk and only have yourself to blame. We don't live in a perfect society.

While in a way this logic is true... by the same logic I shouldn't be leaving my bike anywhere except securely locked in my garage with a full security alarm.
I'm in the end responsible for my helmet, and I gave a theif an opportunity, it doesn't remove the fact that they did the wrong thing.
Its not a perfect society. If we started shooting people who did this stuff we could certainly start the perfecting process. :D
I've done this for almost 4 years and had 1 incident. I won't do it again because its annoying, and I now have a better helmet. I learnt my lesson.

I don't live my life purely on 'what ifs' the people who do are generally cowering in their homes at night and the same people who exclaim how dangerous motorcycling is. I still don't think its a common occurance, but I won't risk it again because I don't have that many choices of parking where I work nights, and don't want to make myself a target.
Of course the other consideration is the fact that next time if the theives just wanted me to leave my bike there overnight, I might come back and find the bike on its side all the tyres slashed, etc etc so I can't get it home at all.

Also my car is worth about the same as my old helmet, so when I leave the weekly shopping in it I'm actually leaving generally more than its value of goods inside. Because I taxi family around for all their appointments I occasionally have to do this.
One time I even parked outside a friends with nothing inside, and someone came along and smashed all the windows in the cars along the street. But I guess it was our fault for leaving our cars there....?

Anyway in the end I have a bit of a theory on the road that can translate to this situation.
Accidents happen when two people do something wrong. Normally accidents don't happen because even if one person does something wrong the other person corrects for them. Thats why being a skilled rider or driver is so important. No one cares if your in the right or wrong if your dead.
I left the opening for the theives, but they still took the action. I'm definately in part responsible. Doesn't excuse the fact someone is out there carrying around a blade (concealed weapon) and stealing stuff/defacing property.

My workplace didn't care about the fact I had valuables that could be stolen if left with the bike because they didn't provide any other choice, now at least they have promised to let me lock it in the office since they had to go through all the paperwork with security reporting the theft. I'd also rather the helmet stolen than kicked around or dropped by someone without me knowing, leaving me with a helmet already damaged and unsafe. So I made progress here at least.

I definately think I was at fault, but thats still harsh! As I explained the other option was leaving it in a locker room, but not in a locker (wouldn't fit), meaning it would be left on the floor in a bag, and we have theft problems, not to mention problems with staff vandalising the staff room, and generally causing problems. It was a bit of a gamble either way.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Accidents happen when two people do something wrong. Normally accidents don't happen because even if one person does something wrong the other person corrects for them. Thats why being a skilled rider or driver is so important. No one cares if your in the right or wrong if your dead.
QUOTE]

Most Crashes are preventable.

In your case about your helmet being stolen, that could have been prevented too. You had just given someone an opportunity and some scumbag took advantage of it. Just like if you leave your keys in the ignition.

Just because nothing has happened in four years doesn't mean it won't ever happen.

With most states having helmet laws, what are you going to do if your helmet is stolen? You can't ride home. Or if you do ride without the helmet, then you're the Moron. So don't take that chance and take it with you. Kind of like if you're in a foreign country, make sure your passport is secured. Lose it, it won't be impossible to get back home, but it's definately going to add a lot of headaches.

Even if you can't store your helmet in a secured area at your workplace, I would rather take my chances inside with your coworkers rather than the general public having access to it.

Where do you work?

Last edited:

bazza

I'll sleep when I die!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey man about 5 years ago I was filling up my bike at a petrol station, I left my helmet on the bike to go and pay for petrol ( turned my back for 1 minute) and some lugnut nicked it! as a result of that I had to ring my brother an hour away as it was after hours to get another helmet.
So from then on I always take my helmet with me no matter what, even into pay for petrol.
Never occured to me that some lowlife would do that before!
So I can relate to your pain!
Regards Bazza

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
QUOTE]

Most Crashes are preventable.

In your case about your helmet being stolen, that could have been prevented too. You had just given someone an opportunity and some scumbag took advantage of it. Just like if you leave your keys in the ignition.

Just because nothing has happened in four years doesn't mean it won't ever happen.

With most states having helmet laws, what are you going to do if your helmet is stolen? You can't ride home. Or if you do ride without the helmet, then you're the Moron. So don't take that chance and take it with you. Kind of like if you're in a foreign country, make sure your passport is secured. Lose it, it won't be impossible to get back home, but it's definately going to add a lot of headaches.

Even if you can't store your helmet in a secured area at your workplace, I would rather take my chances inside with your coworkers rather than the general public having access to it.

Where do you work?

My point in that was that I was at fault, but that I was only one of two parties involved. I'm not argueing I'm not at fault. If I had my helmet locked in a safe inside my workplace and it got stolen, then I might have an excuse, but obviously leaving it on the bike (even locked) its a different story.
As that little peice of pondering states, alot of people get in an accident and are angry because they where not at fault, but they also didn't give enough room to avoid the accident or take precautions. In this way I'm still responsible.

One of my jobs is at a cinema in a mall, I park on the roof early bird parking and chain my bike to the fire escape stairs, which are a giant metal contraption from the exit down into the carpark. I also disc lock the bike.
The issue I had is that people have been stealing bags in the locker rooms that where not secured inside a locker, and people have also been damaging the staff room, and in some cases using peoples belongings (unsecured bags) to make as big a mess as possible.
The management has also been very slow in dealing with the problem, or reacting at all in a satisfactory manner.
Obviously once a helmet has been dropped from waist height alot of damage has been done, and sadly because the staff room doesn't get used much, and the cinema employs alot of 14-15 year old idiots it could easily come to harm or disappear. (Several people have been fired recently for various reasons, and they still haven't changed the security keycodes for the staff room/lockers!)
I had two choices, leave it locked on the bike, or unsecured in a locker room, with no security cameras and a history of theft and damage to peoples belongings.
You make it sound totally clear cut when it wasn't. Most workplaces I have been in are relatively small groups of people, who know each other and show respect, sadly in this case its different.

Once I registered the loss with the police, security at the mall, and the management where I work, and let them know the value they took my helmet issue a bit more seriously and have let me know I can leave it in the office from now on, where it will be locked away and a management team member is always in there. I probably should have convinced them when I first went for the job, rather than after this incident happened now, in hindsight.

Like I tried to say, I know I'm still at fault for leaving it on the bike, but I had hoped it being parked in reasonably busy area where alot of people take breaks and smoko's would discourage anyone from touching it or the bike incase someone caught them in the act. At least more than just leaving it in the locker room without being secured to anything.
For the same reason I never leave my wallet, phone, or keys in my bags, all of which are forbidden to be carried at work. I have them on me all the time, unfortunately the helmet is a bit more obvious :p
I know what you mean about the passport though from traveling overseas, its definately one of the most important things to remember! Sadly the helmet is a little bit bulkier.

I guess all these reasons are just excuses really, but I definately learnt a lesson.

And that definately sucks Bazza! I'll be keeping that in mind too!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My point in that was that I was at fault, but that I was only one of two parties involved. I'm not argueing I'm not at fault. If I had my helmet locked in a safe inside my workplace and it got stolen, then I might have an excuse, but obviously leaving it on the bike (even locked) its a different story.
As that little peice of pondering states, alot of people get in an accident and are angry because they where not at fault, but they also didn't give enough room to avoid the accident or take precautions. In this way I'm still responsible.

One of my jobs is at a cinema in a mall, I park on the roof early bird parking and chain my bike to the fire escape stairs, which are a giant metal contraption from the exit down into the carpark. I also disc lock the bike.
The issue I had is that people have been stealing bags in the locker rooms that where not secured inside a locker, and people have also been damaging the staff room, and in some cases using peoples belongings (unsecured bags) to make as big a mess as possible.
The management has also been very slow in dealing with the problem, or reacting at all in a satisfactory manner.
Obviously once a helmet has been dropped from waist height alot of damage has been done, and sadly because the staff room doesn't get used much, and the cinema employs alot of 14-15 year old idiots it could easily come to harm or disappear. (Several people have been fired recently for various reasons, and they still haven't changed the security keycodes for the staff room/lockers!)
I had two choices, leave it locked on the bike, or unsecured in a locker room, with no security cameras and a history of theft and damage to peoples belongings.
You make it sound totally clear cut when it wasn't. Most workplaces I have been in are relatively small groups of people, who know each other and show respect, sadly in this case its different.

Once I registered the loss with the police, security at the mall, and the management where I work, and let them know the value they took my helmet issue a bit more seriously and have let me know I can leave it in the office from now on, where it will be locked away and a management team member is always in there. I probably should have convinced them when I first went for the job, rather than after this incident happened now, in hindsight.

Like I tried to say, I know I'm still at fault for leaving it on the bike, but I had hoped it being parked in reasonably busy area where alot of people take breaks and smoko's would discourage anyone from touching it or the bike incase someone caught them in the act. At least more than just leaving it in the locker room without being secured to anything.
For the same reason I never leave my wallet, phone, or keys in my bags, all of which are forbidden to be carried at work. I have them on me all the time, unfortunately the helmet is a bit more obvious :p
I know what you mean about the passport though from traveling overseas, its definately one of the most important things to remember! Sadly the helmet is a little bit bulkier.

I guess all these reasons are just excuses really, but I definately learnt a lesson.

And that definately sucks Bazza! I'll be keeping that in mind too!

Man...and i thought i could warble on!!! LOL!

my 2 cents.....Helmets are always a pain in the A, when you have to lug them around....but if you try hard enough, i reckon if you really need to, you will always find somewhere to stash them safely if you need to.

Necessity is the mother of invention, and lateral thinking.

:rockon:

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Yea your definately right, I unfortunately underestimated the likelihood of it being stolen and was a bit too confident, without thinking it through properly and really pushing to find a proper solution.
Out of interest does anyone lock theirs in a lockable topbox on the bike? (the non removeable kind) or is this equally prone to issues?

You'll have to excuse my essays too. I'm meant to be working on a clients website and I'm delaying myself here!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Out of interest does anyone lock theirs in a lockable topbox on the bike? (the non removeable kind) or is this equally prone to issues?
QUOTE]

Ok, when i have my topbox on the bike
View attachment 22761

I will happily leave 2 helmets locked inside....

The rack takes about a week to screw on or off (about 8 tamper - proof bolts on each side, then a cover, with 2 more screws each)...and you would definitely get noticed doing that!

As for the Top Case, once it's locked on, it aint going anywhere, without a very decent crow bar....

Top Boxes rock!
:thumbup: