Helmet stolen - Majorly pissed off

Who can I really blame?

• Myself, for not taking better care of my helmet.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Myself, for not securing it better.

Votes: 13 14.8%
  • Myself, for not fitting an alarm.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • This stuff just happens.....

Votes: 52 59.1%
  • Someone wants to steal your bike! (Conspiracy!)

Votes: 8 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to check with them tomorrow and I'm hoping there might be, its actually the early bird parking area where alot of the workers in the mall work, so if they think someones up there damaging vehicles they are likely to really look into it and take action.

Sadly I can't say I've seen camera's installed up there, since I normally try and park in the most visible spot for either high traffic flow or security

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I'm going to check with them tomorrow and I'm hoping there might be, its actually the early bird parking area where alot of the workers in the mall work, so if they think someones up there damaging vehicles they are likely to really look into it and take action.

Sadly I can't say I've seen camera's installed up there, since I normally try and park in the most visible spot for either high traffic flow or security

Sorry to hear this.

I'd put in a claim against the employer's insurance, as well as a claim against your vehicle insurance.... depends on what your policy has to say about theft. (and what your deductible is) This is exactly the same as someone bashing out the window of a car, and stealing a laptop. Use that as an example, or ask your insurance agent that question first, and then put in the claim with the report from the police about the helmet being cut off the bike.

If you have to leave a helmet with the bike, I can see this as the scenario that requires the cable lock through the eyeport on the FF. A generic cover, and an alarm in addition is about as good as you can make it away from home.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear this Kris. You took the proper precaution and secured the helmet and still got screwed! I hope that some day soon, you run into the little snot-sucker and beat the pi$$ out of him WITH the stolen helmet. :D

tweak89

Reaction score
Visit site
Iots).

I've been thinking about getting a lockable topbox too for this very reason, but its a big investment since normally the rack + box is about 700-900$ from what I've seen (for a hard case that locks onto the back - and the Yamaha one looks the best to my eye)

Check e-bay. There are tons of Givi clones that are of very good quality. I picked up a lockable trunk off e-bay for my cruiser and it works great.

The Givi clones generally even mount up to Givi hardware ( or any rack).

dantow

The Phoenix
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about the helmet mate. Check out the helmet warehouse on the hume highway, they have runout model helmets pretty cheap. even if you can find who stole your helmet( probably the hoons to wear doing their burnouts) its probably ruined now. hopefully karma will see them crash and burn!

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Youll be sad to know the helmet isnt useless cause you can get new straps put on, so these a holes are going to be able to use or sell. sorry to hear i leave mine just hanging on the bike at times and always wonder will it be there when i get back.:(

C-bus Biker

Reaction score
Visit site
Vandals are vandals, no matter what precautions you take. Put on an alarm and they might just kick the bike over before they run. Too bad we have to worry about crap like this.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That is why I always take my helmet with me. I never leave it on the bike, lock or no lock.

The same thing goes for parking my bike. I will always avoid parking my bike in parking lot with cars. Seen and heard too many stories about the bikes being knocked down by careless cagers backing up.

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
My cousin saw a bunch of helmets for sale at a flea market, then noticed that each one has new straps sewn on. He figured they were stolen, cut off bikes like yours. It's hard to believe people can be so lame. I sure hope there is some video of them. Sorry to hear about your helmet. :(

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
i lock my d rings to the helmet lock on the bike and also run a small cable lock through the face guard and around the rear set. I store it under the seat. Crooks are so lazy, this may help detour them.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Some real comedians on here.

Sorry if you are too sensitive to handle the harsh truth, leaving your helmet on the bike is looking for trouble. Maybe in Utopia nothing gets stolen, but who lives there?

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Some real comedians on here.

Sorry if you are too sensitive to handle the harsh truth, leaving your helmet on the bike is looking for trouble. Maybe in Utopia nothing gets stolen, but who lives there?

Hopefully no hard feelings man. I wasn't trying to be a jerk, just funny.

There's always a chance someone is going to mess with whatever you've got. It happens, doesn't mean it is right, doesn't mean we should ignore it either.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hopefully no hard feelings man. I wasn't trying to be a jerk, just funny.

There's always a chance someone is going to mess with whatever you've got. It happens, doesn't mean it is right, doesn't mean we should ignore it either.

Nah it's cool. I guess I have seen similar things happen and after the fact it was kinda obvious that the victim could have just as well have hung out a big neon sign saying STEAL ME. Always err on the side of caution.

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Well all the people I've talked to who have been riding for years told me they'd never had it happen. Not sure if they are just lucky, but alot ride harlies so that probably scares some possible theives away.

I actually park in the early bird parking because its right near the fire exit people from my work take smoko's at all the time, so its in a frequented area, but there is almost never other cars there since its normally afternoon/evening.
What worries me now is if I park there, next time some idiot sees it but without a helmet will they, as someone else said, just push the bike over.....

I definately can understand the no sympathy idea, since right now I'm feeling very to blame, but I'll just make it a lesson learnt.

Rumpole of the Bailey

Reaction score
Visit site
My mate thinks a padlock on his front disc brake is a good method of locking his bike. Kids put a skateboard under the wheel and take the bike away that way. I try and park near a CCTV whenever I can.
I always take my helmet with me.
And, whenever I get a chance to prosecute a thief and send them to gaol I do. I am sending 2 men and a woman to prison tomorrow for tampering with car odometers.
My opinion, theft comes from opportunity, whether it be the directors of Lehmann Bros Bank or a kid in a movie parking lot. Opportunity.
Sure, we are taught right and wrong.
Sure, we are faithful to our partners but.....
Opportunity and sometimes alcohol or drugs and bingo! Crime
Just my thoughts,
Horrace (an old legal hack from wayback)

Last edited:

mpb218

Reaction score
Visit site
Why isn't F*CK THAT GUY on the list of options???? There is no reason why the victim in a crime should be at fault. NOT your bad at all.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have heard of this spoken of before but never had anyone say it had happened to them.

The repair they do to the strap will never be as good as the original. Just hope they find that out very soon....the hard way.

Steve