haha! new and improved $3 windshield mount!

fazer.rider

Reaction score
Visit site
first try i used just suction cup with safety strap = crap
second try i used superglue = crap
this time i drilled two holes and used two bolts = fool proof!!!

why mount on windshield? well the fazer s2 has a large bar clamp so there's little space for the RAM bar mount. with gps mounted on the handlebar you need to look down further (more dangerous). the attached illustration shows (green line means line of sight). with the stickers it looks much better now :D

EDIT: oh yeah WARNING! the location where i mounted the gps is the optimum location. any lower or to the right it will interfere with the left handlebar controls or the right handlebar brake fluid box when the gps unit is present (at max. steering angle). make sure you have clearance before drilling!!!

Edit 2: by the way i drilled two holes on the stock car suction cup mount for the garmin in order to mount it. i plan on leaving this mount on there permanently anyway cuz i have another garmin for the car. it may or may not be your cup of tea though :p

3657352069_4bc6e95937.jpg

3658144314_26250de8f1.jpg

3657351567_fb5ced453f.jpg

Last edited:

fred4theday

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks a lot better than my current tank bag setup, 2 questions

1. how did you run the wiring?
2. Do you need a headphone amp to hear the GPS while riding?

fazer.rider

Reaction score
Visit site

glad u like it!. currently im running it off it's own battery. but i have ordered a 12v socket to SAE connector off ebay to plug in to the SAE plug i hooked to the bike battery (also a battery tender). i turned the gps speaker off. at highway speed i cant really hear it cuz wind noise plus i also wear earplugs. hope ive answered your questions. :D

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Very cool idea and certainly cheap enough! :thumbup:

I spent the money and put the RAM mount on. I put the U-bolt next to the clutch side on the bar, and the Aquabox.

The arms they sell are 1.75", 3" and 5.25" so I tried them until I had the GPS at a level that I could see it by only moving my eyes and not the helmet. I ended up with the medium or 3" arm. The 5.25" arm put the top of the GPS way too high.

U-Bolt mount is $13.50
Med. arm is $14.00
Base plate is $8.50

Then it is whatever holder you desire. The XL wide Aquabox was $51.00 but a Zumo mount is $6.50 and most other clips are $9 to $20

I've thought about getting this base instead but mounting it to the clutch side.
b3092u-2.jpg

Last edited:

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Alright, this needs to be addressed...the stick figure proportions are way out of whack, and he is not wearing any gear...:spank::squid: j/k j/k

Nicely done! Quick simple and cheap:thumbup:

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
first try i used just suction cup with safety strap = crap
second try i used superglue = crap
this time i drilled two holes and used two bolts = fool proof!!!

why mount on windshield? well the fazer s2 has a large bar clamp so there's little space for the RAM bar mount. with gps mounted on the handlebar you need to look down further (more dangerous). the attached illustration shows (green line means line of sight). with the stickers it looks much better now :D

3657352069_4bc6e95937.jpg

3658144314_26250de8f1.jpg

3657351567_fb5ced453f.jpg
Brilliant idea mate. So simple, easy and obvious. I'm going to do this with my screen. I've just got to decide if I want to drill my painted, shortened stock screen or my Puig double-bubble. I'm more likely to use the taller Puig when touring, but it's already in pristine condition - unlike the stock screen. Or maybe I could do it to both and find something to fill the hole that looks good when not in use...

fazer.rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Brilliant idea mate. So simple, easy and obvious. I'm going to do this with my screen.

oh yeah WARNING! the location where i mounted the gps is the optimum location. any lower or to the right it will interfere with the left handlebar controls or the right handlebar brake fluid box when the gps unit is present. make sure you have clearance before drilling!!! i will update my original post with this info.

FazerNYC

Reaction score
Visit site

I use a headphone with my GPS and I hear it perfectly up to approx 50mph. Above that speed it would be nice to have an amp. But when I hear the GPS say waa waa waa, I know there's something coming up and use the visual.

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I have tried a GPS on the bike but found it distracting and dangerous. Even in a car I think its a hazard unless you have a co-pilot. Better off without it I say.