Topcase and mount for under $200!

Xlrrp

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

In preparation for a summer of motorcycle camping, I decided to add a top case to replace my soft tail bag. I wanted more room and the ability to lock items up when away from my bike. My bike is a 2004 FZ6.

Being a cheapskate whenever possible, I looked at my options and ended up ordering a big assed top case from ebay that I saw another member review. It was only $55.95 including shipping. It arrived and included the universal mounting plate. Also had two keys with it. I would rate the quality as fair. It looks fine and functions as it should. I have never messed around with another top case so I have nothing to compare it to.

Realizing that I could not attach the included mounting plate without destroying my bike (drill holes in the seat??? Not happening), I then researched mounts and ended up going with a Shad mount due to the ease of mounting it. I read some stories about the difficulties of mounting the Givi racks.

The Shad mount was $127.95 shipped from Ebay. Mounting was fairly easy. I did it by myself but another set of hands would have really helped. Once the Shad rack was mounted, I modified four holes on the universal mounting plate (used a chain saw file and made them egg shaped so they would match the Shad mounting holes).

Next, a trip to Ace Hardware to get some stainless bolts and self locking nuts. I bolted it together putting the nut portion up so it will be somewhat harder to unbolt the mounting plate when the box is mounted (may help deter theft a little bit).

Yes, it's a HUGE top box. It will easily hold two full face helmets and then some. The box is mounted very securely and I can still remove my seat (just barely) with the mounting position I selected.

I will be taking a ride shortly to test it out (and my new Radian molded earplugs). My hope is it does not rattle (if it does, maybe I won't notice with the earplugs) and does not effect how my bike handles. Update to come later today or tomorrow.

Total cost for everything was $188.90 including the stainless hardware to mount it.

Last edited:

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
looks like the same setup i went with for a while. i did not care for how top heavy it made the bike feel but it did work fine.

Xlrrp

Reaction score
Visit site
Just went on a 30 mile ride to test out the set up. Didn't even know it was there (case was empty). I actually reached back a number of times to make sure it hadn't fallen off as I can not see it in my mirrors.

I like it and think it will work just fine for me.