My spedometer got a roll bar (GPS mount) + plastidip

tyler2011

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So, during the week I've been working on a couple of things after work. Mainly a permanent mount for my gps (nuvi car gps). Last year I just used the suction cup mount on the windshield with a safety tether, but it occasionally came off. I didn't like that. The other downfall was it blocked the upper bar of the fuel and temper gauge and the rt turn indicator light. I dealt with it but didn't like how it blocked the indicator light.

I could have gone with a ram mount or similar but I like the location up under the shield as it's mostly protected from wind/rain/etc. plus it is closer to my normal vision path up there.

I bought the materials at my local lowes store. The bar is solid 3/8" aluminum dowel, spacers are the same bar with a hole drilled through, the flat piece is some aluminum I had previously bought at lowes. Bolts and washers are stainless steel except the two bolts in front (very limited selection of SS hardware in metric)

Time was basically spend cutting, drilling, tapping and painting. You could bolt through but I liked the idea of tapping as I had the tools. I'll let the pictures do the talking, but the gps will not fall again...

The second part, that gave further motivation for the gps mount was that I wanted to try and plastidip the inside of the windshield. The gps was not going to mount to that with the suction cup. I think I like the black shield, thanks to plastidip on the inside. To do this I masked off about 1/4" inside the top of the shield and applied the product. Make sure you peel off the masking while it is wet, this is not paint and more like a plastic coating that you can peel off at will. I'll see how it holds up, my one gripe is it seems highly show dirt and fingerprints on the inside. Outside looks good, but edje has some blemishes as I did not realize I had to peal the tape when it was wet.

I'm unsure about the of the gps mount color, may go to matte black but figured i'd risk the rustoleum blue metallic and see if it worked out.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice! I like placing my GPS up high as possible because it's never a good idea to be looking down while you're riding. Underneath and near the top of the windscreen is ideal, it can stay relatively dry in the event you encounter rain.